acitve roll bar using gps - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
acitve roll bar using gps
Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:47 PM
I have a theory I wanted to toss into the internet. active roll bars have been on the market for some time now. The abilty to lean the car into the turns has greatly increased the handling performance. The issue of converting to aftermarket, is that manufacturer's pay big money so that the car can predict the necessary load to put on the bar. they do this with position sensors attached to suspenion components, and camera's that can determine position. what if you used gps tracking and a dataloger to determine load? upon untraveld roads the bar would remain neutral. but everytime the car passes over the same spot, it would take data samples and relate that to a processor that would just plug the number into an set equation and determine a given out put to feed the bar, so basiclly it would watch you drive sample turns you take and decied what your sway bar should do.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"

Re: acitve roll bar using gps
Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:38 AM
In theory everything works. What happens when there is a pothole in the middle of that pre-determined turn and the bar is preloaded. Probably some really nasty accident. The first system your talking about i'm assuming is for road course racing? The second system would work I think, but would have no way to compensate for changes in the road
Monday, December 21, 2009 10:01 AM
true road wortieness would be a huge part however, were talking about small changes say a couple of lbs of preload not enough to really cause an accident. But on a long course who knows what you could do with it.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Monday, December 28, 2009 9:22 AM
So you want to sample every inch of how long of a course? Also, being able to adjust shock dampening could possibly be more beneficial.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Monday, December 28, 2009 4:06 PM
an active roll bar?

a what?

Trailer Queen corvette wanna-be with 40 coats of wax and powdercoating that soaks in.
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:46 PM
I think that you have a misconception of how the theory works.
On the cars with the magnetic suspensions they use sensors that monitor the road surface distance to a predetermined position on the car. This is then translated by all the sensors used (either sonar or doplar type sensors) and with this information, yaw rate, weight distribution, load, and center of gravity can be used to determine just how much electrical energy it's going to take to preload the shocks (not sway bars) to maintain perfect balance and little to no roll.
This is done thousands of times per second so that the rate of preload is seamless to the driver but effective for the car.

So in this situation of a pothole that has come up on a familiar road, the sensors would sense this and provide an instant synapses to the computer to stiffen up that shock/ strut at the moment it sees the differential of the pothole to the smoothness of the road.

This is what the CTS-V and ZR1 Corvette (somebody veryify this for me) are using for their suspensions and are some of the best production handling cars in the world.

This could also be utilized to our cars but the expense of the system would be many times more than what we paid for our cars.
Just a thought.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search