autoX - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
autoX
Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:26 AM
hey guys i plan on autoXing my car this summer...i was wondering about a good tire for a decent price...i heard Falken makes a good tire...also wondering if i could do a 215 or 225 tire..and last suspension mods whats products for lowering and sway bars give the best ride.

Re: autoX
Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:38 PM
best advice is to keep it stock and learn the car. then upgrade.

if you start in an upgraded car, you will be placed in a higher class and most likely not be competitive against seasoned drivers.

just my .02



Re: autoX
Monday, March 01, 2010 2:28 PM
im actually a very seasoned driver myself with road racing in this vehicle. thats why i want to mod it now and get into a more competitive class..
Re: autoX
Monday, March 01, 2010 5:01 PM
tom wood wrote:

im actually a very seasoned driver myself with road racing in this vehicle. thats why i want to mod it now and get into a more competitive class..


so you are already winning in your current class in auto-x or have won in your current class in auto-x?


my carDomain updated 10/31/09 Forged and Supercharged


Re: autoX
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:04 PM
i havent tried around where i live now but im sure i could handle it...just looking for some ideas on what to buy so i dont waste money..
Re: autoX
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:33 PM
tom wood wrote:

i havent tried around where i live now but im sure i could handle it...just looking for some ideas on what to buy so i dont waste money..


good luck to you.
review the suspension FAQs.
sway bars are a personal preference.
what rim are you wantin to race on? that will depict what size tire to run as well as the suspension choice.


my carDomain updated 10/31/09 Forged and Supercharged


Re: autoX
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 5:01 PM
well i have been looking for wheels but i may just run the stock wheels with a 225 tire on it..and sway bars will be first then ill be lowering it..im not sure what to get for suspension yet everyone has such different ideas on what works.
Re: autoX
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:50 PM
I run toyo tires and haven't been disapointed yet
Re: autoX
Friday, March 12, 2010 4:05 PM
Im running Rikon Raptor Tires 225 on 17inch tires and the 225 will rub unless you roll the fenders out as for 215 they will clear bairly there the biggest tire you can put on without a rub unless you change your fender well but I like the Rikon Raptor tire


Erik Packard
Re: autoX
Friday, March 12, 2010 4:27 PM
Ricozero wrote:

Im running Rikon Raptor Tires 225 on 17inch tires and the 225 will rub unless you roll the fenders out as for 215 they will clear bairly there the biggest tire you can put on without a rub unless you change your fender well but I like the Rikon Raptor tire


on what suspension? i'm runnin 225's on tein super street coilovers. i think someone was runnin 235s.


my carDomain updated 3/2/10 Forged and Supercharged


Re: autoX
Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:23 AM
Im running an Eibach Pro Kit on KYB AGX struts and when i lower the strut down lower then the 4 setting they rub with 225/40/17 tires and ive herd of some people running 235 but dont they also roll their fenders out also this is on a 97 base body if that makes a difference dont think it does but just so you know what its on


Erik Packard

Re: autoX
Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:30 AM
i run 225/40/18's on my sedan with tein ss and no rubbing as well. (no roll, no pull on the fenders)

i'm hoping to squeeze 245's under her this year but i've got the fenders massaged a bit now to make it work.



Re: autoX
Monday, March 15, 2010 8:07 PM
strat81 wrote:

best advice is to keep it stock and learn the car. then upgrade.

if you start in an upgraded car, you will be placed in a higher class and most likely not be competitive against seasoned drivers.

just my .02


Don't modify anything. Get you driving techniques down first.
If I had the parts, I would make my car H Stock (Best PAX multiplier) and work on my driving skills.
I've been to 3 events with my *90 HP (on a good day) base model 5 Speed 2.2 OHV "CHELOTUS".

Here are the last event results: I placed 5th out of 9 in ST class. I placed 38 out of 83 in PAX. Also 47th out of 83 in RAW time.



Im in Street Touring class with the following modifications:

Engine:
•K&N Filter on eBay (AEM) Intake
•RK Sport Polyurethane engine mount insert
•RK Sport Polyurethane dog bone
•Turbo Tech Racing polyurethane transmission mount bushings

Suspension/Wheels/Brakes:
•Eibach front and rear sway bars
•Freedom Design front and rear towermount brace
•Koni Yellow Shocks and Struts
•Eibach Sportline Springs
•OEM Rear solid strut mounts
•Kazera 17x7" KZ-S 40mm
•225/45/R17 (2) NEXEN N3000 Tires [Rear] and (2) Fuzion HRi Tires [Front]
•Prothane Polyurethane control arm bushings
•New ball joints
•New tie rods
•New Half shafts
•Good alignment

Interior:
•B&M Short throw shifter
•Autometer tachometer
•Sunpro Oil Pressure
•Sunpro Oil Temp
•Sunpro Voltmeter

Misc:
•The Big 3
•Cooling Fan Mod
•DRL disabled (switchable)

Street touring class is highly competitive. Plus my cheap tires does not help me any. Everyone else in my class has either TOYOs, Bridgestones, NITTOs, Kumhos or Perellis.
I would recommend Khumo XS, Dunlop Star Specs or try out the improved Falken Azenis RT-615Ks. I dont think you can run tires wider than 225 unless you want to be in the Modified or Prepared classes. If you can get your hands on some light-weight wheels, do so. i.e. RPF1s, Motegi Tracklites, etc. (pricey)

-Section 13.3 of the scca rule book adresses approved tires. Basically the tire must have DOT approval and then there are some other rules.

-Section 13.4 adresses legal rims. Rims have to be stock width and diameter and it does not have an offset more than
+/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. So any size Dot tire that you can fit on a legal rim is approved. I think that this is the correct application of the rules.

The 2010 version of the scca solo rules is available online now at http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo_Rules/2010_scca_solo_rules.pdf .

Good luck to you, and let me know if I can help with anything.





--------------------------
NCR-SCCA Street Touring Compact #18 Cones killed: 26
Re: autoX
Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:43 PM
Ricozero wrote:

Im running an Eibach Pro Kit on KYB AGX struts and when i lower the strut down lower then the 4 setting they rub with 225/40/17 tires and ive herd of some people running 235 but dont they also roll their fenders out also this is on a 97 base body if that makes a difference dont think it does but just so you know what its on


I was running the Pro Kit on KYB AGX with 225 tires, no rubbing either... And you realize that the numerical settings on the struts don't raise or lower the car, they adjust the damping.



Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search