1/4 mile time, turbo sunfire ecotec - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 1/4 mile time, turbo sunfire ecotec
Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:09 PM
blackbirdracing wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:15.274@89.35 on 0psi. (N/a)
13.743@102.09 on 6.5psi.
12.862@111.57 on 13psi.

You have a LONG ways to go... and a lot to learn still.
And ill bet if you didnt have a jank turbo on there it would be even better. Or if you had a PROPER tune.

So the lesson to learn here is find yourself a buddy who can tune your @!#$ for you and buy a motor that was already built?

no the lesson is go back to ecotecforum instead of bringing up how i saved over $5000 and dont know how to tune.. or the REAL lesson is take your time, like i did. piece together a good turbo kit, like i did, install it, like i did, get a real tune, like i did, run a 12.8 at the track on the stock motor/street tires, like i did.

THEN:

Spend $2500 on a one off fully built motor, vs spending over $7500 to come close as possible to replicating the motor in the car now. In case you missed it...
Spend $2500 on a one off fully built motor VS spending well over $7500 to even come close to replicating the motor in the car now. there are stuff done that 1 other motor has done and its in the UK.

yeah i cant tune, so what. you make it sound like im hiding it. you think im the only one? some people are good at it, and some people are better and dont rip people off. i tend to not go back to people who rip me off. simple as that. its been stated before. the tune i FIRST had was rich because my wideband didnt work. and after how i got ripped off there i didnt feel the need to deal with the person who ripped me off. i call it being smart on my end. so having someone clean the tune up after i got another wideband, the car ran quite a bit better.

Could i have built my own motor? sure. like the one in my car now? not a chance. did i save over $5000 BUYING a motor? YES. Did I happen to help a friend out in the mean time? YES. Would you have gave as much @!#$ to the person who bought the motor instead of me? Doubt it May not have built my own motor but i did install it all by myself. just like i installed the turbo kit all by myself.

i mean if your registry is correct, then you went .4 faster, and 4mph faster with a built motor vs my stock motor on street tires? or is your registry incorrect?

Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:19 PM
i can snub the @!#$ out of pipe all day long and pull wrenches but i sure as hell wont even begin to say i have the knowledge to tune my car to the potential it has.

thats why people such as fetter/vince/jrmarks and myself for instance go to people like ryan QWKLN2

Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:41 PM
lol somewhere this thread went horribly wrong.

if it can't win a race it better win a show
Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:10 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:tuning is a job. not free. he had to work to learn how to do it and has to charge for it. would you go to your job and do it for free just to help someone out?

I don't know your car's story but if you did end up having someone tune your car for free cause they were a buddy, then this statement is what I think Blackbird is refering to.

To the OP: Tuning is very important, and usually a better tune helps in ALL aspects of racing a car. A better tune will help against missed shifts/crappy shifts, more consistency/more controlled launches and so on. I think if you have in fact tuned and setup this car on your own, then youre doing fine. Start slow and learn through doing is the best policy. Lets be honest... the JBO crowd isnt exactly friendly to new comers. But, when you begin to start a pissing match with a well known tuner, youre going to lose no matter what. Also, I find that getting what you want/need usually involves being respectful before being an @$$hole about it. But so far so good, the MPH isn't bad but it does show you need ALOT more work on the line. Stick with it and times will improve, no other way to do it.

Street-Legal 2003 Sunfire 10.58 @ 139 MPH
Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:30 PM
Adam Hahn wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:tuning is a job. not free. he had to work to learn how to do it and has to charge for it. would you go to your job and do it for free just to help someone out?

I don't know your car's story but if you did end up having someone tune your car for free cause they were a buddy, then this statement is what I think Blackbird is refering to.

actually no, it was not tuned for free. hence why i got ripped off. I paid $100 for credits, when i had a fully functioning HP Tuner and cable in my car. He also had all 04's unlocked. At the time, he was a friend and knew i was good for the money. and he got it the next day. but when i have hpt, and its unlocked for my car, and STILL have to pay $100 for credits on his? thats some @!#$. also he said since it never happened to him its impossible but he used someone elses tune on my car and it was a different vin and caused my airbag module to be locked out because it had a different vin than the ecu, but again, he tells me that since HE has never had it happen, its not his fault and it cant be.

and also his main comment was directed that curtis tuned my car, then i had someone else fix it, and the MAIN point is, i bought a built motor for 1/3 the price instead of building one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:32 PM

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:20 PM
I didn't mean any disrespect Vince, just that if someone did tune your car for you, you shouldn't be making comments like the one i quoted. But, since you paid and such, the comment is irrelevant. Like I said, I didn't know the full story. Where is the OP anyway?

Street-Legal 2003 Sunfire 10.58 @ 139 MPH
Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:36 PM
Adam Hahn wrote:I didn't mean any disrespect Vince, just that if someone did tune your car for you, you shouldn't be making comments like the one i quoted. But, since you paid and such, the comment is irrelevant. Like I said, I didn't know the full story. Where is the OP anyway?

and i mean none in return, ryan and i were talking last night. im paying for my tunes just like i always have. i made the comment i made because i just like everyone else usually pays for the tune.

Monday, March 22, 2010 7:54 AM
Alright, this @!#$ got way out of hand. I apologize it just pissed me off when all you guys start to rip on me. Also I just found that there is a hole in my coupler... Should get my replacement in 2 days. I just got new 15 inch rims to and am getting some nice tires soon

running rich? turn the boost up
Monday, March 22, 2010 9:19 AM
Find me a faster 16G Cavalier... I ran that 12.4@ 17# of boost. According to Hahn they have pushed 20+ out of them.
My 16G is going away for this year. So we shall see what the car will do.

I just like to spin up Vince... It's so easy.
P.S. I also like to piss off Vince's buddy Curtis too... 488HP and a 12.6? LOL!

For everyone else...

I honestly don't even know Vince.
Met him once.
Offered my drag radials for him to run out at Cordova.
That's about all...
He probably knows more about the J-bodies than I do.
I've only had mine for 2 years.

TO THE OP....

These guys have a ton of info, they are cocky cause they've earned it. or so they feel.

Tune is 80% if not higher, when it comes to making power.
Proof is Vince & I both ran a 12.8 on stock engine!

I'm always glad to see someone pushing these cars, it's fun.

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:10 AM
blackbirdracing wrote:
P.S. I also like to piss off Vince's buddy Curtis too... 488HP and a 12.6? LOL!

haha ok now you are cool in my books lol. I wish i could have found out what my car would have ran on some radials. got a new set coming when i pick my car up. and remember, according to curtis's words, its 500hp. and the car now sucks because cobalt is god...

OP: trust us, we have started there. we found out crap parts break. good stuff holds up. think of the tune as the blood for your body. bad blood, you die, bad tune, motor dies.

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:42 AM
TO OP: I assume you are running hptuners? If you are, congrats on even making passes down the track on a boosted vehicle on such limited tuning knowledge. My word of advice is to learn the insides and out of HPT. I have and it was a very good investment, Id suggest for you to install an fmu while you are learning since replacing a motor might not be something you are interested in.
Alot of people have had success with hpt+fmus on eco set ups.
PM me for any more info..

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:22 AM
dr. vega, how would i go about tuning for an fmu?

running rich? turn the boost up
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search