1/4 mile track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1/4 mile track
Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:00 AM
I'm going to the track friday and was hoping for some suggestions. I just got new 15s with 205/50 nitto neogens. Last time I went I had 17in rims with beat low profile hankook. I had insane wheelhop. I ordered prothane trans bushings and control arm bushings (upper and lower motor mount is coming next paycheck!) So hopefully there here in time for friday. Allecotec.com is when I got them. So my questions are What tire pressure should I run? What rpm should I launch at?
What is the highest safe boost psi? Should I let my clutch out slowly and drag it through first gear or more of a quicker dump? also what rpm should I change the fuel cutoff to? It is hptuned....
The car is a 2003 turbo ecotec sunfire. 48 trim ebay turdbo(got a garret in my garage!)

Thanks for any suggestions

running rich? turn the boost up

Re: 1/4 mile track
Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:08 AM
Set your tires to 16-18 psi and start launching around 3000 and work it up from there. Let the clutch out fast (slight slip) DO NOT dump it or you will be calling for a tow truck.
If you can, heat them up in the burn-out box, 2nd gear does the trick for me.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:12 PM
Alright. Ill have to go on the backrounds and practice for a little bit so I don't look like a complete noob again. Thanks alot

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:53 AM
There is no highest "safe" boost PSI.... what's ok for one car, might not be for the next... a lot of that depends on the tune as well.

Also the PSI created by a small T3 is going to yield a lower power level than the same PSI created by a big T3/T4. Turbo size accounts for how much PSI yields how much physical power.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:55 AM

Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:29 PM
i wouldnt go that low on street tires. maybe air them down to 25 psi and air the rear ones up to 40 psi.

no need for a smokey burnout. a coupe of revolutions just to clean the tires off is good enough

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:11 PM
Alright. Thanks guys. I ran 12lbs last time at 14.5. I'm shooting for 13.9-14.0 at 10lbs because of my tires and tial wastegate. And a little of a leaner tune (12.5) if I can't get it. Its getting 13lbs. 13s or bust tomorrow night!

Friday, April 16, 2010 4:14 PM
slvr05cav wrote:Set your tires to 16-18 psi and start launching around 3000 and work it up from there. Let the clutch out fast (slight slip) DO NOT dump it or you will be calling for a tow truck.
If you can, heat them up in the burn-out box, 2nd gear does the trick for me.

no no no.....
that low of a psi on a street tire is not going to help. esp nitto neogens, id launch lower, more like 2500, i would say ease the clutch out. no need for a super hard launch if you have never raced or dont race much at all. its just for fun, you wont win an award for racing your car.

and do not do a burnout. first and foremost. GO AROUND THE WATER BOX THE BEST YOU CAN. FWD street tires do not heat up the more you spin them, they lose traction. and if you go through the water, you drag it up to the line for all the rwd slick/radial guys to spin out on.

Friday, April 16, 2010 4:24 PM
I'm at the track now and its sprinkling so I'm giving her a break. I ran a 13.77 at 103.14! I'm pretty happy. That's at 12psi on my 42 trim ebay turbo!

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:07 PM
Sweet!

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:33 PM
Thanks man. I'm hoping for 13.5 with solid mounts and intercooler fans (side mount)

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:42 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:I'm going to the track friday and was hoping for some suggestions. I just got new 15s with 205/50 nitto neogens. Last time I went I had 17in rims with beat low profile hankook. I had insane wheelhop. I ordered prothane trans bushings and control arm bushings (upper and lower motor mount is coming next paycheck!) So hopefully there here in time for friday. Allecotec.com is when I got them. So my questions are What tire pressure should I run? What rpm should I launch at?
What is the highest safe boost psi? Should I let my clutch out slowly and drag it through first gear or more of a quicker dump? also what rpm should I change the fuel cutoff to? It is hptuned....
The car is a 2003 turbo ecotec sunfire. 48 trim ebay turdbo(got a garret in my garage!)

Thanks for any suggestions

tire pressure: find out what works best for you and your driving style. start at around 28psi and drop it by 2 bewteen runs until you find something you feel comfortable wit hand gives you good traction.

launch rpm, again depends on traction. if the tires are sticky you can launch at a higher rpm. with mine i ride on falkens at about 25psi and launch between 3 and 3500. i also feather the gas because i cant get @!#$ traction no matter what street tires i have on...

as stated above boost depends on turbo. according to some people therese no such things as safe boost on a stock engine. if you have 93+ octane in your eco you can boost a little higher, just dont go crazy with it. if you see knock, decrease boost.

preload the clutch, it may take you a few runs to get it right. pretty much hold the rpm to where you want to launch at then slowly let out the clutch until its right at the point that the car wantsto break loose. launch from that point.

unless you upgraded the valvetrain i would suggest keeping the stock rpm where it is.

most importantly, no matter how good or bad your car runs that night... have fun, thats what its all about

Eat my shift

Friday, April 16, 2010 9:42 PM
Thanks a lot m2. There was 25 cars at the track so it was pretty much back to back. I got 11 runs in a hour and 10 minutes then they closed the track because of rain and I got a refund! It doesn't get better than that. But time after time I would increase like a half of tenth. I was launching at 3500 and dragging out the clutch. Sh!tting on swapped hondas and d16 turbos! And I run 93 in it at all times

Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:28 PM
damn you for essesntially getting to run for the cost of gas. lol

so how did the car end up running? how much boost? 60', 1/8, 1/4, ect

Eat my shift
Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:36 PM
Car was running great! I have a side mount which is fed air from my rad fan but because it was like race after race it was pre igniting a tad one run so I cooled it off. I was on 12 pnds. I have a 2.1 60 ft. My best 60' was 2.0. Ill have to look at my slips when I get off work and let you know the rest. I'm going next week and hoping for a 13.6 with my new intercooler fan and a 13.4 after than and my solid motor mount and trans mounts

Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:25 PM
good sh!t man. yeah definitely post that up. you should throw up some pics of your turbo set up as well, i read your registry but theres no pics so you have me curious. lol

Eat my shift
Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:31 PM
Its definately the only setup I'm sure like this. You probably gave me the motivation I been lacking to move them from my cell phone to the computer so I think ill do that tonight. Now remember this whole thing is done when I was 17 and mearly knew about turbos before I started. Actually without jbody I would still barely know sh|t

Sunday, April 18, 2010 8:59 PM
got up two time slips and a pic of my engine bay, one day ill find out how to make a badass picture like all your guys. its a little different now though, red tial wastegate, no huge motor mount, and now i have a fan mounted on the intercooler, more pics soon

Monday, April 19, 2010 1:17 AM
well, its not exactly the prettiest setup, but if it works it works.

Eat my shift
Monday, April 19, 2010 3:45 AM
Yea, once I find time I will eventually take off my old nitrous setup. I convinced my dad to put it on his corvette so he can hang with me and soon the computer will be hidden. I just hardly am able to find time

Monday, April 19, 2010 10:03 AM
I removed my nitrous. Pcv is gone. And I did a little wire hiding. It looks a little better

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search