1997 Z24 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1997 Z24
Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:21 PM
I race a 97 Z24 2.4 on a half mile paved track. My issue is at times it does not want to start well and keep running. It seems to be a fuel delivery problem. We have a fuel cell with an inline electric pump. Have changed fuel filter and pump but still have the issue. Does not do it all the time but just here and there. It will start but stumples. You try to give it gas and it will just stall out. Also when it does start and runs well it idles at about 2 thousand RPM. Hope I have given enough information. Any ideas.

Thanks
Gerry

Re: 1997 Z24
Monday, June 21, 2010 10:41 AM
what is the pressure of the inline pump? do you have a return line goign back to the cell?
Monday, June 21, 2010 10:48 AM
Also needs a vent.
Monday, June 21, 2010 7:19 PM
Have a vent and good pressure and return line. This is the 3rd year running this set up never had a problem before. It has just started doing this. I thouhgt maybe pressure regulator.
Monday, June 21, 2010 8:38 PM
Check your IAC thats what it sounds like it is to me or that the injectors are leaking or sticking and not delivering fuel

Erik Packard
Monday, June 21, 2010 8:50 PM
what are you using for fuel?
Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:52 AM
I would install a fuel gauge in the flexible fuel line from the pump. That way you will see what it is doing. Not sure so someone correct me, fuel pressure should be 43 Psi at idle?

I had a problem with my 2.2 sunfire on the dirt track I race. It turned out to be a rubber o-ring that was sucked up into the supply line from the fuel cell to the (external) fuel pump. It would start hard and run ok for about 5 laps then the fuel pressure went down to 10 psi and stayed there until I shut it down. I replaced the pump thinking it was over heating and the same thing happened the next week.

I would also check the fuel cell pickup tube to see that it runs to the RR corner of the fuel cell. I found that mine was improperly installed in the LR corner. I had to had about 5 gallons in it for it to run right. I upgraded to a 3 gallon aluminum recently.

I would upgrade to a AFPR and install a gauge so you can see what is happening while you are driving. Not sure that your track will allow AFPR's.
Thursday, July 08, 2010 5:35 PM
i would say it's the EGR valve, i have had the same symptoms in all my 97's
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search