need help! - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need help!
Friday, August 20, 2010 7:18 PM
i run a 95 cavalier 2.2 auto trans, only modification is the head is shaved .025, run on a 3/8 mile high banked track, rules are single over head cam 8 valve engines, have average of 25 to 30 cars, best can finish is 12th, gettin killed on restarts and through the corners, still have stock suspension, no aftermarket suspension parts allowed any help would be appreciated

Re: need help!
Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:57 AM
More information would be helpful. Dirt or asphalt? What tires are you running / allowed etc.

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:31 PM
dirt 3/8 mile high bank, we have to run stock tires and wheels. I run 1/8th inch toe out 2 degrees neg camber in right front 1 degree positive camber in left front no mods done to the rear
215/60/14 on left side 20psi left front 30psi left rear
195/70/14 on right front 25 psi
205/70/14 on right rear 40 psi
i removed the bushings from the swaybar on the left side for adjustment (read about doing that on a previous post)
Our rules state the engines are suppose to be stock but i doubt that is the case with some of the front runners, At the end of a 15 lap feature the leader crosses the flag stand and i am usually just started into turn 3. I have no problems getting up to the 12th position, but that is about it.
Our tech guys are more like tire kickers, so i am looking for the most bang for the buck as well as some handling ideas
Monday, August 23, 2010 2:04 PM
The auto trans is killing you. Especially if you have the 3spd. I ran a 93 2.2 3spd auto my best finish was 3rd. All the 5spds are faster, way better gear ratios in the 5spd. If you have a 4 speed you might look into a shift kit for it, but a manual swap would be your best option. Depending upon your budget a camshaft would probably be your best bang for the buck and still appear stock. Most tech guys have no clue unless its a v8, but it would suck to spend money and get disqualified. Just search the forums for the basic bolt ons. We have some hondas where I race that im pretty sure have swapped the engines. We've been running Saturns the last couple of years but we blew 3 engines this year, so im looking for another j-body
Monday, August 23, 2010 2:07 PM
Also have you tried different size tires on the front?
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:06 PM
Check this one out it should answer your questions.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=456478&t=456478
Friday, September 17, 2010 3:54 PM
For the best money try the KYB GR2 Struts on the front and KYB GR2 shocks on the rear.If u trust your engine try running the automatic in second gear.Tire rack is where u can find the shocks and struts
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:11 AM
shave head ALOT more
Sunday, October 03, 2010 5:04 PM
I know this sound simple but I will just mention it. do you make sure it downshifts on restart? Like pull it manually down to first and upshift as needed. just little thing but helps.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search