98 2.2 surging throttle-dirt track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 2.2 surging throttle-dirt track
Monday, August 23, 2010 8:08 AM
I have a 98 2.2 cavy for dirt track.
I have a problem with the engine surging RPM's.kinda like a rev limiter, and even at lower RPM's

idle is fine, but if I rev the engine in neutral, it will kinda die(lose RPM'S ) then rev again.
holding at consistent rpm's 5k 3.5k even at 2k. it surges.

could this be fuel filter, or pump.

I don't the the money to throw at it , so I want to be one the right track before I spent anything.

thanks!

Re: 98 2.2 surging throttle-dirt track
Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:46 AM
Mine does the same thing in neutral but not at lower rpm's or when I'm running on the track in gear. I don't know for sure but it sounds like the computer is trying to save the engine from over reving. Of course that doesn't make any sense at the lower rpm's.

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:06 PM
We had the same problem but only after 8 or 10 laps. Pull the fuel line off the filter and jumper your fuel relay to keep the pump running when you turn the key to ON (relay pins 3 and 5 I think) let it run into a pan or bucket then you will know your getting plenty of fuel. Electric fuel pump are usually good or dead. You should check the fuel regulator, pull it out and check the screen on the inlet side of the regulator. If that's fine hook up a vacuum pump and make sure it's opening all the way. On our automatic car in park or neutral the computer only allows like 4K rpm but on the track it hits 7K+ without missing. If that's all good you might look at the coils and control module. Hope that helps.
Friday, August 27, 2010 10:14 AM
thanks , gives me something to start with.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:35 PM
if the car specs are 45psi and you test and have 40 the pump is crap, if u cycle the pump and it doesnt hold pressure the pump iscrap, do you have access to a smoke machine? sounds like a vaccum leak, if your pump checks out, i think if you ho a vacum gauge up it should be 18
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:36 PM
have a vacum gauge
Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:11 PM
Mr. Toler your very right, I was miss spoken about the fuel pump. If you can't tell the pump is losing pressure you should put a pressure gauge on it.
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 1:52 AM
ok guys been a mechanic for almost 14 years now problem is as simple as 1 2 3 ......... icm is bad its the lil computer behind your coil packs......the thing your coil packs plug into trust me on this had the problem twice till i figured it out..... so here the help.... thanks... when u change it change ur coil packs...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search