Asphalt oval driving - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Asphalt oval driving
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:58 AM
I have a 1998 Cavalier that I ran the full season with on a 1/3 mile dirt oval. One of the local asphalt tracks is having a special event that I want to run but I have only run asphalt once in a 87 Cavalier and it wore the tires out in 75 laps. What do you need to do to keep the tires from wearing out as far as set-up and driving? This is an open comp event so I can run any DOT tire but the regular track rule is for them to all be the same size. I have a set of 195/60 - R14 tires for the race which is two hundred laps or two hours. Any opinions will be appreciated.

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Re: Asphalt oval driving
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:40 PM
Dunlop Direzza Z1's should last that long, as should Bridgestone RE-11's. Toyo R1R's might might not as they are really an R-Comp Tire with tread instead of a slick. Can you run DOT Slicks? I doubt the Hoosier slicks will last that long but the Khumos might.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:04 AM
I don't have an option for the tires. I can't afford to buy any more so I have to figure out how to make them last.

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:32 PM
Well what tires do you have on it now?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:14 PM
The only thing I can think of is putting your RF tire pressure higher then you normally do so it doesn't roll over and start wearing funny and grenading chunks out the side. Other then that give her @!#$ and come in on the cords sparks and all

Remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous .
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 2:47 AM
Thanks for the input, I'm a little slow getting back to this forum. I'm not sure how much higher I should go with the tire pressure, do you have any suggestions? On a high banked dirt track I run RF 26lb. RR 24 lb. both left sides 22lb. and I have two to four inches of stagger. I looked at the asphalt track on saturday and it's only got a couple degrees banking.

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:54 PM
On my asphalt track I run RF 30 RR 27 LF 25 LR 22 to 19 and that seemed to work pretty well on a 65 lap main so it should work for you.

Thursday, November 04, 2010 5:41 AM
Thanks for the numbers Jordan. The race is on the 28th. so I have plenty of time to get everything ready. I'll let you know how it works out for me. Hopefully I won't get wrecked in the first ten laps.

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:39 PM
Good luck Kenny take her easy you got 200 laps drop a gear and dissapear !!

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:38 AM
Well, my race didn't go quite as planned. Only half of the registered cars showed up cause it was freezing.27 degrees overnight and the forcast was for a high of 38. Because of that the race was shortened to 100 laps but at least I didn't overheat. The handling was OK except for pushing in the center of the corners but it drove off very well most of the time. I never got the chance to install a sway bar and I think that might have been a big part of the problem. Good thing it was only a hundred laps cause the right front wouldn't have lasted much longer. That was partly due to me driving like I was on dirt when it pushed. Thanks to everybody for their advice and wish me good luck for the next one. It's in January and last years race was run in the snow.
Kenny

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search