what rpm to launch at? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what rpm to launch at?
Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:33 PM
im gonna be drag racing next year, and wondering what would be a good RPM to launch at?

Re: what rpm to launch at?
Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:44 PM
what ever feels comfortable and right for your temps, track and what the car can handle and hold.

only way to know is to practice. nobody can tell you what to launch at.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:43 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:what ever feels comfortable and right for your temps, track and what the car can handle and hold.

only way to know is to practice. nobody can tell you what to launch at.

listen to this man.

it's all about feel. especially with a manual. but honestly even when it comes to auto that holds true. every car and driver are different. for me a brake launch might hook just right at 1750 rpms, for another guy it might be 1500. obviously there's more to it with a manual but you get the gist.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:52 PM
6500 and slip the clutch is a sweet spot for my car

14.04 @ 101 ALLMOTOR
Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:57 PM
thats true, i was just seeing if theres a general area people launch at, oh well, ill have to wait till may when racing starts up and find out

Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:03 PM
i estimate a launch that high on my twin disc

Friday, November 26, 2010 12:51 PM
cant wait to launch on my 26.5x9x16 Hoosier quick time pros, off the 2 step, with the cutout open.

Yeah, 11's here I come!

Friday, November 26, 2010 7:29 PM
Like already said, it will take some playing with and it really depends on the track. I have done most of the tracks in the maritimes and not one of them are the same. I have lauched as low as 1500 and as high as 3000. Your first few passes will teach you a lot, and then you can start fine tuning. Maybe I'll see ya in greenfield in the spring.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:02 AM
yeah man, ill be there, hope to run some decent times as the car will probly be still close to stock

Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:23 AM
i figure a 4500-5500 launch with the twin disc, no 2 step, will get me 11s no problem.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:18 PM
You want to launch as high as possible with out spinning the tires.

FU Tuning

Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:47 PM
I haven't ran greenfield yet but I know sometimes they don't let you run in the traction compound unless your running a full slick. Even with my drag radials I have been pushed out of the compound. Depending how much my car hooks with the radials will determine if I will have a set for sale if you want more grip

Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:32 PM
sounds like an idea, just lemme know when the time comes

Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:47 PM
it really all depends on your setup, tires and clutch play a major role, i launch at 6k on 2step running 24.5 slicks but preload to save my axles.

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:14 PM
i lauched at 2500 rpm in my auto eco sedan lol
Monday, November 29, 2010 7:45 AM
dxdean3 wrote:yeah man, ill be there, hope to run some decent times as the car will probly be still close to stock

you gonna be running slicks? of just sticking with street tires?

Monday, November 29, 2010 1:54 PM
street tires, i dont really have the money to dish out on slicks

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:00 PM
Don't run those wheel/tires in the sig, you will get wheel hop from hell and destroy something.

Get some stock 14's or 15's, 30-32psi in them.

Basically what others have said, launch as high as you can without it spining the tires to much, a little bit of tire spin is ok and ussually a good thing. You don't want to be "free-spining" the tires as I call it, basically when the tires have zero traction and the RPM's shoot up to redline.

Also, you will have to see how much wheel hop you get.....wheel hop is the absolute last thing you want. If you launching and getting wheel hop try a different RPM till you no longer are get it. I think this will be your dertermining factor as it was mine when I was still stock. If you get wheel hop let off the gas and get back on it....staying in it with wheel hop will ultimately end in a blown transmision or broken axle.

When I was nearly stock, I found that 2500rpm, a bit of clutch slip gave me the best 60' and the almost no wheel hop.

Engine and transmision mounts are cheap and help a TON with wheel hop. Something to consider if you plan on racing alot.

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:44 AM
yeah im not running my 17's on the track, i got some good 15" tires, just need rims for them, and i plan on getting some engine and tranny mounts in the spring before racing starts up

Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:39 AM
well ive never launched my cavalier with a brake launch, and now i never will because its gone, but i plan on getting a new one

but my part of the story lies here

i have launched my blazer (big difference in power) (and not on the track only in the streets when some annoying honda/mitsubishi came up next to me) with a brake launch i guess, and i do so at about 2500-3500 depending on whats around me, i make sure i dont crash because when i get to speed limit maybe a little fast but either way

i would try 2500 for a j-body

Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:27 PM
RWD is a completly different kettle of fish compared to our FWD's.

I would also recommend control arm bushings. They did wonders for me.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:36 PM
yeah, that stuff will come in time, im more worried about getting engine and tranny mounts for this coming season, may is coming quick!

Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:01 PM
dxdean3 wrote:yeah, that stuff will come in time, im more worried about getting engine and tranny mounts for this coming season, may is coming quick!

I'm on factory mounts...

you must make more power than me if you need them.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:36 PM
For me the engine/tranny mounts didn't do much, but the control arm bushings made a huge difference. Almost got rid of all my wheel hop.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:43 PM
blackbirdracing wrote:
I'm on factory mounts...

you must make more power than me if you need them.

well i can get them fairly cheap, and the local shop cant get anything for ecotecs, i mean nothing at all, so im going with what i can get easiest, only mount i gotta buy online is the upper motor mount

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search