cavalier 2.2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cavalier 2.2
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:25 AM
Just purchased a 1998 cavalier 2.2 automatic race ready for my son to race circle track dirt.

The car is built really well but it is slow and I am wondering what would be my best motor options to upgrade.

I plan on letting him get his feet wet with the ohv motor and then switching to something with a little more power. Of course, building the 2.2 is a possibility, but what I have read, there is more power elsewhere.

What is my best bet? Ecotec? Something newer? Our rules allow pretty well anything so the sky is the limit.

Btw, 1.9 DOHC Saturns and rear wheel drive mustangs are the fastest things right now.

Re: cavalier 2.2
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:46 AM
How many of these threads do we really need!?
Friday, April 15, 2011 11:08 PM
My best guess is that, maybe if the forum were to create a section on the forum just for circle track instead of just a generic racing category, and maybe in that sub-forum make a sticky for engine build guides for circle track (or an FAQ for the same topic), people wouldn't have keep asking.
Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:21 AM
Tim Gage wrote:
Btw, 1.9 DOHC Saturns are the fastest things right now.

I raced a Saturn circle track for alot of years...

Good luck. Your LN2 wouldnt touch my Saturn. PERIOD.

N/A, your not going to touch it.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:43 AM
Sell the 2.2 and get a Saturn or if your lucky find a 95 Z24 Cavalier or 95 Pontiac SunfireGT and swap to any 88-94 2.3 Dohc. The 2.3 would be the fastest stockish gm 4 cylinder
Monday, May 02, 2011 9:52 PM
Tim Gage wrote:
Btw, 1.9 DOHC Saturns and rear wheel drive mustangs are the fastest things right now.

The front wheel drive Mustangs are faster.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:24 PM
Tim I ran a 97 sunfire 2.2 . what I did was cut the springs and a buddy welded a steel plate across the back axle under neath to stiffen the car up a bunch. Yea then a year later I went and did the upgrade and got the 2.4 z24. much faster but just make sure you have it looked over cause i spun a bearing the first nite out and had to get rebuilt. but the 2.2 is good for starting off and learning and I was able to keep up with a few dohc saturns with the 2.2. any questions pm me
Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:45 AM
95LsCoupe wrote:
Tim Gage wrote:

The front wheel drive Mustangs are faster.

of course they are. but those arent allowed to race at this particular track.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search