time on slicks - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
time on slicks
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:05 PM
Alright i know that everyone pretty well hates these types of threads but i was curious about how much slicks would lower my times
R/T ... .4259
60' ... 2.0659
330 ... 5.6891
1/8 ... 8.4922
MPH ... 89.08
1000 ... N/A
1/4 ... 12.8950
MPH ... 111.95

car dynoed in at 291whp and im looking at buying a set of 24.5x8x14 slick setup off of a org member but not certain how much they will help

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)

Re: time on slicks
Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:24 AM
hmmm well, it really depends on ur suspension setup but i think you could shave a couple tenths off ur 60 foot with slicks. a 1.8 would be a very respectible time IMO. although some have gotten 1.6's... ts kind of hard to improve on a 2.0 60 foot with a turbo setup but im sure you could do it. plenty of others have.

they will definitely help you get that thing outta the hole. id say go for it man.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:59 PM
They should make you not spin most of the way through 2nd. I know for sure that if I was up at that power level with either of the tires available to me that I would be spinning all the way through 2nd, I some times do it anyways, if I shift too hard into 2nd form first.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, February 18, 2011 2:53 PM
thanks guys yeah i talked to john at M&H and im gonna be getting a set of their 235/60/14 dot slicks

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:17 PM
I would think you would be at least a 1.9 with them if not better, which a tenth in the 60ft some claim 2-3 tenths on the overall 1/4 time. So you could potentially get a mid 12 vs your 12.89. I know some people that have run 2.0's with slicks too so it really comes down to getting your launch perfected. But I think it would be worth it, although a 2.0 is still respectable especially for almost 300whp. I'm hoping I may pull off a 1.9 this year on my drag radials but I'll have to wait and see. I'd be interested to see what gains you make from running the full slick. Good luck with whatever you do.

Friday, February 18, 2011 8:22 PM
well its not a full slick its a dot street slick

Click here for the slicks

Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:28 AM
Cavi2Sunfire wrote:thanks guys yeah i talked to john at M&H and im gonna be getting a set of their 235/60/14 dot slicks

great choice man

those are what i ran last year, excellent tire for sure, but may have been a but much for my allmotor setup. still got me a 14.0 tho. newt is selling his if ure interested...

this year i got a set of M&H 23x8x13DOT's on diamond racing rims to try

14.04 @ 101 ALLMOTOR
Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:48 AM
You are running a 12.89? Is your mod list up to date?
Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:29 PM
Yes My Mod List Is Current

Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:28 PM
If the price is right for a DOT slick off a member I would say go for it as it will most likely yield a better 60ft and therefore improve your overall time. But if I were to upgrade I would buy the best for what I planned on doing with the car. Saying that a DOT slick isn't going to be as good for drag racing as a full slick but still better than a drag radial. It really depends what you want out of your car, but if you wanted maximum traction and its specifically for the track and nothing else I would go with a full slick cause it would improve your times even that much more. But like I said in the first sentence, a good deal is a good deal, and sometimes that requires some compromise.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:48 PM
well the only problem with running a full slick from what i have looked at most are for 13 and 15 inch rims not much for a 14 inch rim that is around 24 inch tall if you know of any then i would love to know cause i dont want to fork out even more cash for a custom offset 13 inch wheel

Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:45 PM
Cavi2Sunfire wrote:Yes My Mod List Is Current

Off topic but geez, I need a real tune
Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:51 PM
mine is a crappy tune lol it was originally tuned to 8 psi but i turned the boost up and to lean it out and now im bout to add some water/meth to get it back rich up top cause it was fine but i put a sheet metal intake mani on and i see a 13 afr in boost up top and the 42lb injectors are basically maxed without upping the fuel pressure oh and i almost have all my parts collected for the ld9 wiring harness 2 bar swap so then i should be able to get some better numbers out of it and mind you this is a stock engine too i think with wire swap and water/meth i can see 350 at the wheels

Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:54 PM
I'd try to get that down to 12.4 for best mean torque. 12.8 is best lean torque and 11.8 is best rich torque. if I didn't rememberer those numbers right sorry. I am teh drunk.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:57 PM
i run radials so i can compete in more close races fitted for my car class. if i go to a slick, i cant race at midnight mayhems, and also slicks bump me up a class if i run points at all. thanks... but no thanks.... and honestly, mine are as close to slicks as you can get anyway.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:42 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:i run radials so i can compete in more close races fitted for my car class. if i go to a slick, i cant race at midnight mayhems, and also slicks bump me up a class if i run points at all. thanks... but no thanks.... and honestly, mine are as close to slicks as you can get anyway.

i agreee. thought about running full slicks this year but alot of the competitions i enter are a street class, needing DOT approved tires. heres a pic of what ill be running this year, alot less lines and grooves than the 24.5s i ran last year. PS there 13s, just gotta grind the caliper a bit.

14.04 @ 101 ALLMOTOR
Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:05 AM
Paul K wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:i run radials so i can compete in more close races fitted for my car class. if i go to a slick, i cant race at midnight mayhems, and also slicks bump me up a class if i run points at all. thanks... but no thanks.... and honestly, mine are as close to slicks as you can get anyway.

i agree. thought about running full slicks this year but alot of the competitions i enter are a street class, needing DOT approved tires. heres a pic of what ill be running this year, alot less lines and grooves than the 24.5s i ran last year. PS there 13s, just gotta grind the caliper a bit.

those are similar to what im wanting to run since i dont want to buy custom offset 13s or run 15s

Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:11 AM
LMAO paul.. thats a slick with a couple zig zags cut into it.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 1:32 PM
z yaaaa wrote:LMAO paul.. thats a slick with a couple zig zags cut into it.

great arent they?? LOL

14.04 @ 101 ALLMOTOR
Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:03 PM
this quick time pro has 3 grooves in it... not sure why but mine only have 2. maybe because of the width?... its basically a slick with 2 grooves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:04 PM

Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:23 PM
holy god those are wide! You run those on your cavalier? Whats the width of them?

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:33 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:holy god those are wide! You run those on your cavalier? Whats the width of them?

no lol, read that again... lol

mine are like 225/65/16 i think i cant recall and i cant find them on the other forums.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:47 PM
lol i love what they do to make them 'street legal'.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search