Tuning Suggestions for Autocross - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tuning Suggestions for Autocross
Sunday, March 06, 2011 10:28 PM
Just completed my first Autocross event in the Atlanta Region points 1 event. What experiences does anyone have in terms of tuning and parts for these j-bodies in autocross? Any input would be appreciated.

Atlanta Region SCCA
28 ST
BatlGround Motorsports

Re: Tuning Suggestions for Autocross
Monday, March 07, 2011 5:50 AM
your best bet is to pick a class and either stick with it, or find the limits and get to it.

I know when I did it before boost, i was in STS, with coilovers, wheel/tire combo, strut tower bars. So if your car is stock, stick it out in the stock class for a year and get to know the car and how it reacts, then go from there with a good suspension and some sway bars and just start taking it little by little. nice thing is in auto x, cars react huge to little mods.

now im in something god awful like street prepared, against factory turbo AWD car and they get to mod their car and stay in the class. but good news is i only do it for fun and not points

Monday, March 07, 2011 3:17 PM
Thanks. With the few things I have on the car currently, it appears I am in STU. And I'm sorry about the street prepared. I saw a few Corvettes in that class just run the field Sunday.

Atlanta Region SCCA
28 ST
BatlGround Motorsports
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 10:20 AM
Khari Rockward wrote:Thanks. With the few things I have on the car currently, it appears I am in STU. And I'm sorry about the street prepared. I saw a few Corvettes in that class just run the field Sunday.

what do you have done to put you in STU? that's a higher hp class. if anything you'd be SMF/SMS.
bad part about adding different things each year, your car performs differently. for example, i started out SM (didn't have street tire class yet) bc of my carbon fiber hood. next year i added supercharger and still remained SM. next year they added SMS so i wasn't racing against slicks. 4th year i added big front brakes and was in SMF. each year i had something new to my car and had to compensate for the adjustment.

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:30 PM
I wounder if we can use 2011 sti pillow ball front control arm bushings?

see ya!

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 1:39 PM
Strut bars, Intake and aftermarket wheels that aren't the same size as factory spec put me at ST, not STU. Sorry

Atlanta Region SCCA
28 ST
BatlGround Motorsports
Sunday, March 13, 2011 7:37 PM
ST can be a tough class to be competitive in. I know in our region, there are a few civics that are built for ST and run some of the faster times of the day.

vince and s1lver have it right... ultimately, pick a class and build for it.

you're best bet for your first year though is to run what you have and as you get more accustomed to how the car handles and work on driving technique. don't worry about how you place, work on consistently improving your times over the course of the day. talk to other drivers and ride along with seasoned drivers if your region allows it.

the more you run the car, the more you'll find what areas you want to improve and then you can add modifications based on that knowledge.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:41 AM
My best learning experience was doing it a full season starting with the car stock. Then as I got into the season add a part here and there and feel the difference each part was doing. Rather than going all out at once and in essence starting with a new car and having to learn it all over again, it's easiest to keep modding it slow and learning the car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search