Dirt track racing - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dirt track racing
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:15 PM
Going through the pictures or racecars thread i noticed a few pictures of dirt track racing.

Who all on here dirt track races a j-body? I just bought a 96 cavalier yesterday for $100 that i'm going to be racing, was racing a 99 Nissan Sentra but had the CV joint in the axle explode and i'm too cheap to fix it, not to mention it's slower than a cavalier anyway. My next race is in 2.5 weeks so i'll be sure to post up pictures and videos. For now, here's a couple pictures of the old car, once i have the cavalier painted i'll post some pictures up as well.

Will post up a picture of the cavalier asap

^-- WTF!?! That's not a J!

Re: Dirt track racing
Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:26 AM
I'm in my third season of dirt racing Cavaliers. My first one, 1987 was wrecked beyond my abilities to repair it last year. I tried it on pavement once and thought I should give that up because the tires wore out in 75 laps. I have a 98 that I ran last year and a 95 that I was going to run on asphalt but the deal between the promoter and the track fell through. I'm running enduro's at two tracks and so far have only broken down two times, and one was my fault for leaving the motor mount bolts loose. The motor mount made a hole in the oil filter but it didn't start leaking till about lap 95 and I only lost a quart of oil.

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:30 PM
Awesome, and those are some long races, we're only on a 3/8 mile track and running 15 laps, 4 cylinder class, i think we have 35 cars coming up on saturday, then they're taking the top 3 from the 3 heats and running them all together. Then there's 6cyl, 8cyl, a few other random races for fun, reverse race, bag race, le mans race, my personal favorite is the open class, nothing more satisfying than passing a rwd V8 while he's struggling to get traction lol.

Hopefully the cavalier holds up well, i put it up on the lift when i got it home and my k frame is pretty rotted, surprisingly the cross member in the rear is pretty good. We broke the k frame on another cavalier last time around so i've got the front heavily reinforced with 1" x 3/16 wall square tubing going every which way lol.

Finally finished painting and stickering last night.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:16 AM

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:21 PM
Hey Kenny Brown,

Just realized that I raced with you. I seen your name on here quite a bit but didnt know you raced at big diamond. Than I just seen your name on the line up at this last big diamond race. You race the orange and purple cavalier.

If you dont know who I am I race the orange and black cavalier #41, just won my first enduro on sunday at big diamond.
Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:49 PM
is that even a real track? It looks like its in someone's backyard or some kink of rally track
Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:40 AM
It is in someone's back yard lol, buddy owns a large farm with a fair bit of flat land so he made a dirt track, the next race on sept 10 is going to be nice, he banked the corners so that cars wouldn't spin out so much...

Well, this had originally started out as a guy and his friends running cars for something to do, now it's a more official government known thing, track was inspected, races were watched, he had to get everything approved by the town that it's in... it's the only dirt track in southern new brunswick, there are a couple real tracks, as in, paved, stuff like that... really the purpose of this is for you to get racing out of your system so you're not street racing and it's cheap enough for anyone to do... only vehicle requirements is that the drivers door must be secured shut either welded or chained, chained really only applies to cars like saturns for example that can't be welded as they have plastic panels. Drivers door and passenger door windows must be removed, window net is required.... reinforcing your car is allowed BUT there can be no sharp metal sticking out anywhere that could damage other vehicles.

Rather than the other paved tracks require fuel cell, steel braided fuel lines, no glass, roll bar, etc. Expensive stuff

Sunday, September 04, 2011 11:42 AM
WOW that would be totally awsome to do on a dirt track. thanks for sharing the pics.
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 7:10 AM
I'll be sure to get more pictures and videos up after this weekend, just didn't have a huge amount of pictures and videos from this round.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 7:11 AM
Also, i may be mounting a gopro in my car for this round, assuming i do there will be a few in car videos as well.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:03 AM
Some new pictures!

I've got some repairs to do... broken control arm and a broken axle... luckily i've got two parts cars.

Poor, Poor, J

Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:22 AM
Hey Curt,

I havn't been ignoring you, I just don't get on this forum some times for a month at a time. I wanted to try Diamond for some time but got rained out. I realey like running with you guys, it's always clean and respectful. I ran three races there this season. I have an all orange car too but I blew a brake line the last time when I was loading it on the trailer so I had to scramble to get the purple one ready. It was set up for a NEETS race and had out dated belts and a different set up than for Big D. It might be me or it might be the car but I just can't seem to get through the corners worth a darn there. It makes for a long 100 laps. I'll try to visit the next time I come up.

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:33 PM
Yeah the racing is pretty clean there, they enforce rough riding, which makes your car last longer. I thought just had painted your car a different color, didnt know you had two cars. What helpped me alot is setting up your caster and camber, adjust it as far as factory settings will allow.
I should be running there next year too, hope to see you there.
Monday, September 26, 2011 4:32 AM
Hey Curt, if you want a change of pace come to Grandview on October 16th. for the Mutha. 150 laps and it's the last points race so it should be pretty intense. The track starts out pretty wet so you have to be patient at first but about 20 laps in it starts to get fast in the groove. By the end you can take it to the wall but we leave the broken cars on the track so you have to remember where they were left. We had 32 cars yesterday and I was #11 at the end and still running strong. Or just come to watch, it's a lot cheaper than the $100 entry fee.

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:14 AM
Curt Breinich wrote:Yeah the racing is pretty clean there, they enforce rough riding, which makes your car last longer. I thought just had painted your car a different color, didnt know you had two cars. What helpped me alot is setting up your caster and camber, adjust it as far as factory settings will allow.
I should be running there next year too, hope to see you there.

I just found out yesterday that the 4 cylinders are not going to be included next year at Big Diamond. Are you going to go pavement or drive to Grandview?

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:14 PM
Yeah I seen that release they wrote about no 4cyl... I think for next season im going to run Susquehanna and Shippensburg, there not enduros just the norm. heats and a 15-20 lap feature. Grandview is too far for me (just shy of 2 hrs one way). As far as pavement....I never raced pavement before, so i dont know anything about it or how to setup for it. What pavement tracks are around here that we can run?
Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:41 AM
There is Mountain Speedway in St Johns. They have are having their season ending enduro next Saturday. It's 150 laps. They also have one some time in January that they call "The Frostbite" for obvious reasons. I ran there once last December in a NEETS event. One hint, DON'T use new tires with a lot of tread unless you have to run in snow, it just comes off in chunks. I'm going to run one more NEETS asphalt race this year which is on the 30th. at Wall Stadium in New Jersey. That's about an hour and a half drive for me and probably more for you but I thought it was worth mentioning. Personally I prefer dirt and so does my wife so when I go there I go alone or with one crew member. I found that that's never a problem if you just talk to a few of the other racers there will be somebody ready to help you if you need it.

Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:05 PM
OOPS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search