Auto X on Sat, some last minute things - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Auto X on Sat, some last minute things
Monday, August 01, 2011 2:03 PM
Hey guys,
I've been getting ready for a auto x on sat and I got some new wheels and tires for the car and a few other things(Front Strut Bar and Rear sway bar). When I put the wheels on how ever I started hearing a jangling in the back like somethings hangin. It's not effecting the way car handles or anything but it's bugging the hell outta me. I was wondering if you guys have ever had an issue like that. I went from the stock 14 inch wheels and tires to 16 inch wheels with a 255/70/R16 tire. (yokohama s.drive). The car is a 2005 Cavalier Base. I know this is kinda a general thing but I'm going to put the car up on jacks on wensday to get under there and poke around.
Thanks for any help,
Dean

Re: Auto X on Sat, some last minute things
Monday, August 01, 2011 3:14 PM
255/70r16?! holy mother they might not let you race fearing your 4x4 will roll over, those are like truck tires. The Clanging is the rear swaybar, you tightened the endlinks too much and crushed the bushings, you need to replace the bushings and not tighten the damn thing so much. You should be able to spin the washers and spacers on the endlinks by hand.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:01 AM
It was making this noise before I put the sway bar in, and my bad I wrote the tire size down wrong when i did it like last week, its 225/50r16. But yea is there anything else it could be? thanks for the input.
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 2:56 PM
No idea then.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 3:10 PM
Loose items in your spare tire cavity? Loose items in your rear quarter panel? Loose Exhaust hangar? Loose rear speaker? Worn/Broken rear strut mounts? Loose rear strut hardware? Broken rear strut lower bushing? Broken trailing arm bushing? Check your rear wheel bearings. Ask someone to drive it while you sit in the back, maybe you can pin point it then. Good luck, ans let us know what you find.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Thursday, August 04, 2011 2:42 PM
check your lug nuts as well...

Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:45 PM
so i'm about to give up after an hour of shaking things around when i bump into the tip of my exhaust getting out and i hear it. Now it wasn't as loud or pronounced as when it normally happens when driving but it would definitly explain why it doesn't happen right away if one of the hangers isn't seated properly. I'm gonna take a look at all them tommorow because i discovered this at literally the end of the day.
Friday, September 16, 2011 8:03 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search