Top Speed? - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Top Speed?
Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:18 AM
I thought my car was going to break apart... so I only got up to 134ish... Had to use my garmin to actually find out what speed I got up to. I would LOVE a gauge cluster that went a little higher than 115... This was achieved on a closed track... not on the highway.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:57 AM
You people and your rated tires. Have fun hitting something in the road at 108. Hows about hitting a pothole? Have fun when your wheel snaps off.

I got the need to bury the speedo in the Sunfire out of my system before I was 18. Sitting at 5k for a minute or better isnt good on the ole OHV.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:34 AM
I have my doubts that anyone is actually going to want to hold their J at anything near 108 or above for very long. Not that pleasant. And the rated tires are only because that's how 18s come.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:07 AM
Transporter7220 wrote:Find your gear ratios and I can tell you. LD9's with an Isuzu will theoretically hit about 155mph at 6250rpm in 5th, and about 175mph if you can rev to 7000rpm.

everyones hating on the OHVs lol wow mines smooth from 0-110, yeah its screaming but its certainly not dragging along lol
i got this chart from and online site....it also came with a graph but i feel like the graph was wrong when it came to my tach, like 2000 rpms was not 32 mph in my car in 3rd gear, more like 27

Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:52 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:
Transporter7220 wrote:Find your gear ratios and I can tell you. LD9's with an Isuzu will theoretically hit about 155mph at 6250rpm in 5th, and about 175mph if you can rev to 7000rpm.

everyones hating on the OHVs lol wow mines smooth from 0-110, yeah its screaming but its certainly not dragging along lol
i got this chart from and online site....it also came with a graph but i feel like the graph was wrong when it came to my tach, like 2000 rpms was not 32 mph in my car in 3rd gear, more like 27

ur a liar and you know it. we all drive j body's. don't try and tell us it's this smooth fine ride over a hundred miles an hour. mine's scary enough driving over 80 miles an hour. the damn things feel like they're gonna fall apart. doesn't matter what engine it is j body's aren't meant to go that fast. what kind of chassis bracing have you done? what have you done to your suspension? cuz if it's basically stock everyone here know's your'e lying. there's no j body on the board that's stock or lightly modded that isn't scary above 80 miles an hour. period.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:09 PM
blucavvy wrote:
ur a liar and you know it. we all drive j body's. don't try and tell us it's this smooth fine ride over a hundred miles an hour. mine's scary enough driving over 80 miles an hour. the damn things feel like they're gonna fall apart. doesn't matter what engine it is j body's aren't meant to go that fast. what kind of chassis bracing have you done? what have you done to your suspension? cuz if it's basically stock everyone here know's your'e lying. there's no j body on the board that's stock or lightly modded that isn't scary above 80 miles an hour. period.

kyb struts with a 2 inch drop on eibach springs, i meant the engine feels smooth when its getting up there
ive been in an old buick where the whole thing is shaking like hell and the engine screaming bouncing all over the road at 80mph
ive also driven my dads audi a4 and did 130 and it legit felt like 40mph
maybe you dont like driving at high speeds, i honestly feel safe doing it in my car, call me stupid all you want, im not having this arguement, i just wanted to know how fast it will go, im not trying to top it out and i probably never will top it, i was just wondering...yes i do drive over 100 every once in a while on highways and side streets, but its also roads at 3am that i know have no bumps, holes or turns or any other cars around at that time, im not stupid, i check my tires before i go out to the runs when i know ima be speeding home...i have new tires rated for 130, i havent gone over 115 yet....this post was just my curiosity and no one has really answered yet...enough arguing, if you cant answer the question posted then dont post -goes for all you guys not just blucavvy

ill admit it's no audi, but its deffinately not a beat down 89 buick, i know what my car can handle and ive seen in person what happens to cars, if i wanna try something im gonna try it whether you all say something or not, you're not my mother or father.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:13 PM
just to clarify the the W tire speed rating, its 168MPH/270KMH

and think about it, do you really want to be going that fast if something were to happen? you and anyone else involved would most likely be in a pine box afterwards

Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:30 PM
do you really think anyone would answer yes to that?

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:03 PM
On a highway I have to drive on twice a week to get to school its not uncommon for traffic in the fast lane to be doing 85 and on occasion 90. I keep right along with my vert and it doesn't feel like its gonna fall apart. It seems to like it just fine. And I will admit my stupidity I have been over 100 in the Z and it also did not feel like it was going to shake apart, all be it I havnt done that often.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:05 PM
then y r u asking? you don't like the fact that i'm going to flame you for asking how fast a 95 2.2 in a cavalier will go on public streets at 3 am? get over it.

that's the thing about a forum, you have to deal with my opinion, if you don't like it then don't ask stupid questions.

i feel fine going fast, in a car that's meant to go fast, or in a car that was built to go fast. my cars not and i have enough sense to know better. i also have enough sense not to try going anywhere near that fast on a public road. even if you could somehow know there's no potholes on that specific road you can't guarantee that a piece of debris hasn't found it's way onto the road. think you can correct where you need to go at 100+ at 3 am? i wouldn't bank on it. i could give two @!#$s if you wrap your p.o.s. around a telephone pole.

but if you come on here asking what the top speed is, and then blatently admit to driving that fast on a public roadway, get used to being flamed, for the idiot you are. at least have enough sense not to say i'm doing it on a public road. that's like being a streetracer bragging about how they know they're being safe when other's among us have lost dear friend's to streetracing. if your'e gonna do it fine, just keep your @!#$ mouth shut about it.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:05 PM
Zs Z wrote:On a highway I have to drive on twice a week to get to school its not uncommon for traffic in the fast lane to be doing 85 and on occasion 90. I keep right along with my vert and it doesn't feel like its gonna fall apart. It seems to like it just fine. And I will admit my stupidity I have been over 100 in the Z and it also did not feel like it was going to shake apart, all be it I havnt done that often.

I agree, honestly if your car is in good condition it shouldnt want to start coming apart until a bit over 130 and even at that point its only the windshield wipers which no longer want to be part of the car.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:42 PM
blucavvy wrote:then y r u asking? you don't like the fact that i'm going to flame you for asking how fast a 95 2.2 in a cavalier will go on public streets at 3 am? get over it.

that's the thing about a forum, you have to deal with my opinion, if you don't like it then don't ask stupid questions.

i feel fine going fast, in a car that's meant to go fast, or in a car that was built to go fast. my cars not and i have enough sense to know better. i also have enough sense not to try going anywhere near that fast on a public road. even if you could somehow know there's no potholes on that specific road you can't guarantee that a piece of debris hasn't found it's way onto the road. think you can correct where you need to go at 100+ at 3 am? i wouldn't bank on it. i could give two @!#$s if you wrap your p.o.s. around a telephone pole.

but if you come on here asking what the top speed is, and then blatently admit to driving that fast on a public roadway, get used to being flamed, for the idiot you are. at least have enough sense not to say i'm doing it on a public road. that's like being a streetracer bragging about how they know they're being safe when other's among us have lost dear friend's to streetracing. if your'e gonna do it fine, just keep your @!#$ mouth shut about it.

Funny, but the first post completely and utterly makes this post redundant. The op blatantly stated that it was a hypothetical question, NOT a "hey, lets go drive really fast on a public road". Your stating about it being a forum, so we all have to deal with your opinion is BS. If your opinion has nothing to do with the question, chances are, it isn't needed. I didn't realize by asking what a stock geared car is capapble of doing for a top speed is reason to be flamed. Try answering instead of flaming. If that is difficult, maybe you should go ask your mommy what all the cartoons meant when they said if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Thank you.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:51 PM
With a hell of a lot more power than a stock ohv has, my car was no able to burry the tach in fifth. Not even close.

Monday, February 21, 2011 5:17 AM
95LsCoupe wrote:
blucavvy wrote:

kyb struts with a 2 inch drop on eibach springs, i meant the engine feels smooth when its getting up there
ive been in an old buick where the whole thing is shaking like hell and the engine screaming bouncing all over the road at 80mph
ive also driven my dads audi a4 and did 130 and it legit felt like 40mph
maybe you dont like driving at high speeds, i honestly feel safe doing it in my car, call me stupid all you want, im not having this arguement, i just wanted to know how fast it will go, im not trying to top it out and i probably never will top it, i was just wondering...yes i do drive over 100 every once in a while on highways and side streets, but its also roads at 3am that i know have no bumps, holes or turns or any other cars around at that time, im not stupid, i check my tires before i go out to the runs when i know ima be speeding home...i have new tires rated for 130, i havent gone over 115 yet....this post was just my curiosity and no one has really answered yet...enough arguing, if you cant answer the question posted then dont post -goes for all you guys not just blucavvy

ill admit it's no audi, but its deffinately not a beat down 89 buick, i know what my car can handle and ive seen in person what happens to cars, if i wanna try something im gonna try it whether you all say something or not, you're not my mother or father.

colt45 wrote:
Funny, but the first post completely and utterly makes this post redundant. The op blatantly stated that it was a hypothetical question, NOT a "hey, lets go drive really fast on a public road". Your stating about it being a forum, so we all have to deal with your opinion is BS. If your opinion has nothing to do with the question, chances are, it isn't needed. I didn't realize by asking what a stock geared car is capapble of doing for a top speed is reason to be flamed. Try answering instead of flaming. If that is difficult, maybe you should go ask your mommy what all the cartoons meant when they said if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Thank you.

funny because it seems to me that the part in bold is from his very own mouth stating that he does go drive really fast on a public road. if you didn't see that part maybe you should go ask mommy y they used to say that crack is bad during pregnancy.

once again i didn't make him say that. he did it all on his own. and i'm going to flame him for saying it. get over it, he doesn't need a butt buddy to stand up for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 21, 2011 5:17 AM

Monday, February 21, 2011 5:51 AM
I completely missed that post. I was just skimming through. I retract what I said, have at him.

Monday, February 21, 2011 9:39 AM
When I had my 96 Sunfire SE 5-speed, it would get to 108MPH quickly in 4th. That car never had the limiter removed as HPT was not available then. My 2002 GT with the limiter removed was able to achieve 137MPH in 5th and it had room for more. At that speed the car was stable, wind noise was higher but really not to bad. The ONLY reason I didn't go for more, was that RamAir hood was moving way to much for my comfort. I think I had some contrasting wind in the direction I was going, that didn't help. After I pulled over to the side, everything was ok with no cracks and all intact. At those speeds you really need to be streamlined and have spoilers to have some sort of downforce and prevent lift. Our car's aerodynamics is 0.31-0.32cd which is above average back then, and average today.
Of course all of this was done in Antarctica with polar bears cheering on.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, February 21, 2011 10:20 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:When I had my 96 Sunfire SE 5-speed, it would get to 108MPH quickly in 4th. That car never had the limiter removed as HPT was not available then. My 2002 GT with the limiter removed was able to achieve 137MPH in 5th and it had room for more.

I let off at the same time, it gets to the point where you realize you need about 1/4 of a mile to stop and it isn't worth it. I don't feel the need to ever go that fast again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 21, 2011 10:20 AM

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, February 21, 2011 10:56 AM
^Interesting that you achieved that speed with out F/I too. Shows how strong this engine is (LD9). Willing to bet the L61 will probably do the same or near.
I am S/Ced and my run was when I was already boosted. So I never knew what my car would be able to do N/A. You just gave me an idea of what it is capable of.
Boosted will just get you there faster and closer to the redline(if not just reach the R-L), all in the highest gear.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:08 PM
I have had my z24 to 123mph n/a. Also 130mph with the charger (these are confirmed numbers, not guessing). Other times had it at what I thought was higher numbers.

My car never felt like it was going to fall apart. Feels smooth for the speeds. Maybe some wind noise, but that is to be expected.

I know a 2200 will go over 108, but I do not think it will go much past if at all 120. I do not think it has the power, I do not think it will ever hit redline truly in 5 gear. I also do not think a bone stock LD9 will either.

FU Tuning

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:20 PM
I'm going to have to take this space.

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

I <3 JGM

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:53 PM
I am with "Screaming for Mercy!!" here... I have been to 130 in mine and it was smooth, I do have good suspension and the entire front end is strengthened via the 3800 swap, no crazy vibes or noises, I just wouldn't recommend this without good brakes ( I have Baer all the way around) or tires that can handle it... I didn't go any higher considering it's STILL A JBODY! (I trap 108-110 in the 1/4 so knowing it can handle the speed is important to me)

As far as top speed, my Getrag was around 5k rpm at 130, I don't think it would go much over 140/145 unless I rev higher than 6200.

Monday, February 21, 2011 2:07 PM
Theres a reason i dont believe someone hit 200 in our cars without being heavily modified. And thats drag lol. The drag on your car at 130 or 140 is something that most stock engines couldnt push past in 5th.... just sayin

Monday, February 21, 2011 2:09 PM
Dan Cummings wrote:Theres a reason i dont believe someone hit 200 in our cars without being heavily modified. And thats drag lol. The drag on your car at 130 or 140 is something that most stock engines couldnt push past in 5th.... just sayin

The only place 200 was mentioned in this thread was my first post and I specifically said that is what the gearing made theoretically possible, that likely going to take 400+ hp to get there in a reasonable amount of time and 300+ to get there ever. I could do out the actual math but frankly I dont give a @!#$.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, February 21, 2011 5:00 PM

in an OHV bitches

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:16 PM
congrats you waste of life. i hope you wrap the @!#$ around a telephone pole.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search