94' Cavalier Circle Track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
94' Cavalier Circle Track
Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:38 PM
I am racing a 94' Cavalier in a 1/4 mile circle track. Rules are suspension may not be altered also it must remain stock. It does allow the exception of camber to be added to the RF. My question is how to get camber from this car???? If I drilled new holes for the strut and angled it that may give me some but I wanted to know if there was a better or any other way to do it. Thanks in advance for all answers.

Re: 94' Cavalier Circle Track
Monday, March 31, 2008 8:49 AM
Four days and still no answer
Monday, March 31, 2008 9:14 AM
Haven't ever done it myself, so I was hesitant to answer, but...

Chilton's says that the way to do it is to file out the bottom hole on the strut so that you can slide the bolt over and thereby put some angle into it.
Monday, March 31, 2008 4:24 PM
either oblong the bottom hole or get an adjustable camber bolt from any auto parts store. I have done this to my 1993 with no problems.

SK
Wednesday, April 02, 2008 2:34 AM
You can use the camber bolts in both the upper and lower holes to double the adjustment. I don't recall exactly, but I believe you can get up to 2* per bolt, for a total of 4*. I don't remember who carried those bolts though. Most only come in 1.5-1.75*.

Sunday, April 06, 2008 7:10 PM
I race a 99 on a 1/2 mile. If you are allowed this mod then I really suggest using higher grade bolts,one size smaller,and weld the washers (grade 8) in place once you set your camber. Hint: Tack weld the washers in place then remove strut assembly and finish weld. You may be limited to how much camber you can put to it before you get tire rub.Can you modify your wheels? If your good you can build your own offset wheel from a stock steel wheel. I hope this helps you. Check out my pics http://www.carlsonracephotos.com/gallery2/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=118238&g2_page=10av.
Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:41 AM
I went to autozone, advance, napa, westwood and o rielly's. When I asked for a camber bolt tey had no clue what I was talking about... Where can I order them online.
Monday, May 26, 2008 12:07 PM
take a grinder with a stone and open up the holes in the strut and install 1 size smaller grade 8 bolt in the holes and you will get between 4 and 6 degrees easy .
make sure you use good washers and locknuts to keep it where it needs to be
do the same thing on the left front and get about 2 degrees positive(top of wheel out further than bottom)
go to the rear and loosen rear hub bolts and put about 2 washers on bottom bolts of right side hub to get about 1-2 degrees of Negitive and do just the opposite on the left rear for about 1-2 degrees of positive camber.
take out front springs and cut off 1.5 coils and heat end and flatten that top coil so it will set right back in the strut mount.
oldgold
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:52 PM
You can find the camber bolts here, here or here. The '94 & older J-Bodies use the same camber bolts as the new models, 14mm. As I said before use one on top and one on the bottom to double your adjustment.

Monday, July 09, 2012 5:03 PM
I run a 94 cavy on 3/8 mile dirt track. The right front axle out of a 95 cavy is an inch longer than the 94 cavy. I took my lower control arm cut the bushings off and put an inch spacer in and rewelded back in. this let me put the longer axle from the 95 in and i have about 7 degrees of camber in the right front. The rear spindles are the pain in the ass for these cars, replace every weekend or right rear will snap off and you get to see the world upside down. I have modified my rear end. I cut off the mounting bracket for the stock spindle and made a new one. I mounted a grand national axle stub to a plate that bolts to the new mounting bracket. I run a grand national hub with gm metric disc brake caliper. no more broken axles. we have gone from 1-1/8" dia. axle to a 2-1/2" dia. axle. I had to go to 15" wheels. aero rims rear 15 x 7" 4" offset tire hankook 175 65r 15. front i put an adaptor 1-1/4 thick to adapt the aero rim. front rims 15 x 8 3" offset tire nitro 225 45r 15. The motor is stock apearing and car will run track 21sec flat.
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:50 PM
i take a die grinder to both bolt holes at the bottom of the strut until you can lean the tire over just before it touches the strut. Then do as stated above and weld washers in the location where the bolts will be or any small impact may knock everything out of alignment. (lesson learned). Depending on how much you lay it over you may have to gring out the RF strut mount holes OUTWARDS (seems to work against your camber) but it must be done in order for the strut to clear the body behind it. (mine needed some spring seat ground down and also a little sledgehammering of the body behind the strut.) Now set the toe and lets go racing!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search