BFG Drag radials Safe for stock axles? & what HP? - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: BFG Drag radials Safe for stock axles? & what
Monday, October 03, 2005 11:21 AM
not to change the subject but how good are thes tires. i mean can they be used on the street and last as long as any other performance tire would. cuz i want some but dont want them if they are going to wear out quickly

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:01 PM
John Higgins wrote:
SunCavi_L61T3/T04E wrote:Isuzu axles are not a thick I measured them when I did the swap with like a micrometer, so it was some small difference but enough.
like in hundredthes

Well from reading Bill Hahn's write up about our cars, J's have some of the biggest axles in the sport compact scene. Not saying they won't break, but we are in ok shape.

Its not the axle shaft that breaks, its usually the CV joint. Super thick shatfs won't help if the joints are the weak link.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, October 03, 2005 12:07 PM
cavipower1 wrote:not to change the subject but how good are thes tires. i mean can they be used on the street and last as long as any other performance tire would. cuz i want some but dont want them if they are going to wear out quickly

What tires? Drag radials? Nitto 555R's are DOT approved, but will not last long for everyday driving. I also do not like how they handle in the rain.

FU Tuning

Monday, October 03, 2005 2:32 PM
the bfg drag radials not the nitto ones. wondered how long they lasted

Monday, October 03, 2005 3:18 PM
cavipower1 wrote:the bfg drag radials not the nitto ones. wondered how long they lasted

They willnot last long for everyday driving.

FU Tuning

Monday, October 03, 2005 5:57 PM
stevefire wrote:we were at the track yesterday, and saw honda's breaking axles left right and center.

one even sheered the diff pin and sent it thru the case! How many j's have we heard of that problem? (though the diff is our weakest link....some of us)

I've seen it.

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:11 PM
I have heard that the BFG drag radials do not even last as long as the Nitto 555Rs. But I have heard that the BFGs hook better than the 555Rs.
A friend of mine is on his 2nd set of BFG drag radials on his 96 Cobra. His first set lasted a little bit over 1,000 miles.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:13 PM
If you can find them in the correct size, try the new Mickey Thompson drag radials. A guy who I know with a 1999 Cobra with turbo ran a 8.4 in the 1/4th mile with those M/T drag radials. I have heard and seen that those are pretty good also.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:15 PM
Thanks Ill have to look for the Mickey's too. Guy here at the local junk yard wants 40 bucks for 2 old crappy steelies so I haven't got them together yet.

15.71 @ 87.9mph 9-17-05
Monday, October 17, 2005 6:48 PM
Wanna keep your diff from blowing up like the 4th of July? LSD. They work wonders.

"Silly cluth, glazing is for donuts!"
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:15 AM
I have them (BFG Drag Radials) on a set of 15x8's and I very happy with their performance so far.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:26 AM
I have the G-force T/A drag radials too. They hook up awesome!

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:41 AM
:BUMP:

I went to the track last night and on the second run ever, I broke my drivers axle.
I just read this whole post, and everyone is saying how strong they are???
Now i'm a little confused, I was even running street tires, not slicks.
Whats my issue ..... too much HP?

Im fully built boosted @22 PSI on a 16G, with Meth.
Transmission has the jack shaft setup, and a TG LSD.

Any information?????
Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:46 AM
I would assume wheel hope, since your an auto?

Did you brake torque at the line and pre-load everything. Our axles are not weak, BUT FAIL VERY EASY with any kind of wheel hop.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:37 PM
He's running a 2200 according to his profile. We were talking about the axles out of a 2003+ with the L61/F23 combo which had MONSTER axles.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:30 PM
Ive never destoryed my axles BUT i have destroyed 9 diffs. Remember the first time ryne?
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:07 PM
Yeah that was fun. I got to push your car off the track back to the pits, and then clean up the debris! That's what I get for helping out at IW while racing too LOL

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:07 PM
Hmmm...so at a date not to far in the future I need to upgrade to '03+ axles. So many things I should have kept from the parts car. Good info to know though. Not that I plan on running slicks anytime soon.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 12:54 PM
f23 getrag axles are the same from the 5 or 6 pairs I've seen over the years, my getrag ln2 has the same size one's as my 04 eco and they all interchange nicely villagemon, I wouldn't waste any money on swapping just because.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:01 AM
Good point...thanks for saving me some time/money.

Sunday, July 01, 2012 9:03 PM
the way i feel is stock axles were made for stock power yes they hold up pretty damn good to power but they are a ticking time bomb and will break along with that im running stock axles on my setup and just carry extra axles when i go to the track DSS axles are a joke from what i have heard

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)

Monday, July 02, 2012 7:02 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I would assume wheel hope, since your an auto?

Did you brake torque at the line and pre-load everything. Our axles are not weak, BUT FAIL VERY EASY with any kind of wheel hop.

No wheel hop at all, I am 5 speed now after my conversion, havent updated my profile.
I pre loaded at the burnout out pit, let her rip around 3K in first gear, super smokey nasty heater followed.
Then as I approached the line, the tires caught, and snapped the drivers side.
I have no problem breaking the tires loose and have never had wheel hop at all.

Im wondering if dis-engauging the clutch as I approach the line would have helped this.
I havent raced since, because in afraid of dropping another one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Also would the stage 5 DSS axles be an option, or just a waste of money?
I can swap out axles very quickly, about 30-45 mins a side.
So would I just be better off to keep swapping out stockers when they break?????
Monday, July 02, 2012 8:17 AM
My feeling on axles....

I would rather break a $75 axle and replace it for when they break, than replace a $500+ transmission when the axles hold together and the next weak part in line breaks ( the trans )

thats just me. A hell of a lot easier to replace the axles and keep on racing than to replace the trans...

Monday, July 02, 2012 8:32 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:My feeling on axles....

I would rather break a $75 axle and replace it for when they break, than replace a $500+ transmission when the axles hold together and the next weak part in line breaks ( the trans )

thats just me. A hell of a lot easier to replace the axles and keep on racing than to replace the trans...

Exactly how I feel, but then you get the "what a dumbass" vibe from the crowd.
Its bad enough drag racing a cavalier, then to break an axle ..... that calls for no respect.
Im torn about what to do, I actually just put road side assistance on my insurance plan.
I might just be better off to buy a 2 wheel dolley, and tow it to the track with my truck.

Im headed out on wednesday, we will see what happens.
Monday, July 16, 2012 6:25 PM
STEPHAN PAPADAKIS, famous Sport Compact Drag racer uses J-Bodie axle in his Civic. I have a DVD in which he gave an interview and stated that's how he kept from breaking Axles. Below is a little text I copied from his site.

In 2003, Papadakis made history again by piloting the rear-wheel drive AEM/DriverFX.com Civic to World’s Fastest Sport Compact and World’s Quickest Honda titles with a 207.8 MPH trap speed and a best E.T. of 6.71 seconds. This racecar also became only the fifth car to join the NHRA’s Sport Compact 200 MPH club.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search