Asphalt car I am building for a customer... - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Asphalt car I am building for a customer...
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 4:42 PM
This is what I started with. All stock with 2.2 liters of fuel injected fury...

This is where I am at now. I got all the wiring tucked up under the dash bar and zip tied good enough so it won't move around, now i just have to make a good mount for the ECM and tighten the seat down and the interior will be pretty much be ready besides removing the back glass. I am going to pull the stock plastic off the front bumper and run it with just the steel substructure and some plating.

I still have some small stuff to do to it but it is pretty close to being race ready. Cut out the rear glass, fix the front bumper, tighten the seat and belts down, put a set of bolts in the starter, sand, paint, and lettering...

I heard there was a way you can mess with the valvebodys and shift solenoids in these to lock them into whatever gear you want with the selector and they won't down or up shift unless you do it manually. How true is this...

Re: Asphalt car I am building for a customer...
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 7:24 PM
if rules allow swap to a 5spd its an easy swap in those cars
Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:22 PM
Mike Golding wrote:if rules allow swap to a 5spd its an easy swap in those cars

Not worth it on our track, with the 13 inch race tires you have to shift at the flag stand with a 5 speed and if you keep the 14 inch street tires you will never be competitive. Double edged sword...

The Kia's our team races are turning just shy of 7800 RPM's before corner entry in 2nd gear in a 5 speed manual and our drivers never shift...
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 9:17 AM
what size track are you running if you play with the gearing inside the trans you shouldng need to shift our track tires are the hoosier 13 23" tall
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:31 AM
Roughly a 1/4, the same guy with the 5 speed was messing with it but the straights are just to long, he has tried two different transmissions and other stuff and you still got to shift...

The guy I am building this car for is going to be racing it more for fun than anything, he knows it will never win and he is cool with that...
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:03 PM
what is the cage welded down to
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 8:22 PM
Floor pan...
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 8:57 PM
what about raising the rev limiter to keep from shifting?

FU Tuning

Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:30 AM
thats what it looked like in the pics you for safty you should at the very least weld 6x6 plates to the floor first i use 2" angle iron on edge welded to the floor and rockers then build the cage on that the angle i use is 1/8 " i have seen cages torn from the floor pans and also punched through in a roll
Monday, September 12, 2011 10:03 PM
Being a OBD 1 car it is going to be hard to raise the rev limiter without people knowing it...

Mike Golding wrote:thats what it looked like in the pics you for safty you should at the very least weld 6x6 plates to the floor first i use 2" angle iron on edge welded to the floor and rockers then build the cage on that the angle i use is 1/8 " i have seen cages torn from the floor pans and also punched through in a roll

It is gusseted and welded to the rockers vertically and horizontally...
Monday, September 19, 2011 4:04 PM
When I raced street stocks, we would disconnect the kick down cable from the carb, pull it tight and tie it off. This will keep the trany in the lowest gear even when you're not on the gas. I have my 97 2.2 set up this way but car is still untested. It worked great with the 8cyl. cars should work just as well with 4cyl. cars.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:04 PM
Well it is finished...

I have the fans wired on a lighted switch and the fuel pump is wired to a double switch setup so it can be killed from the driver seat or from the rear, it takes less than 4 seconds before the engine dies from no fuel. I had to put a new fuel pump in it, it was weird, the fuel pump and the wiring went bad at the same time. The guy I built it for decided to paint it a different way after I painted it to his specifications, and I admit, his looks alot better.

Interior done...
[IMG]http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x275/DIXIEDIRT/294751_218595534874381_100001718093558_588226_1981963105_n.jpg[IMG]

My paint job...

My bumper...

Everything they done after I finished it...

Cop lights...

New paint...

Their bumper...

The rest of the car getting lettered and finished...

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:04 AM
I see they went with a dukes of hazard theme.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:03 AM
The front bumper looks like something that people run where i race... i don't know about there but where i race you're allowed to run into the other cars lol

96 2.2L, #66 on the dirt track
Monday, October 31, 2011 11:32 PM
you don't have to run a diagonal bar on the main hoop of the roll cage?
Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:10 AM
i run a 1/4 track, and i run 205 60 r15's in second with a 5speed out of a 2012 cobalt, works great
Monday, July 23, 2012 3:45 PM
There's a 4 door second gen cavalier on the track i race at painted almost identical to this one.

96 2.2L, #66 on the dirt track
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search