Drag N00b - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drag N00b
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 9:03 AM
Finally about to head to a legitimate drag strip in a few weeks, never done it before. Just wondering if anyone has tips on what I should do to the car once I get to the track. ie: lower air pressure in fronts, any kind of reasonable weight removal possible, etc.

You can check my profile but I have an 05 cav 2.2 GMPP s/c kit with a few extra goodies. I also have the adjustable d-spec struts. Would it be best to stiffen the whole thing as much as possible? Or maybe super stiff in the back and a half turn or full turn softer on the fronts? I admit to my n00bness always ran dirt ovals before... All reasonable advice accepted.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Drag Racing N00b
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 9:54 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Ok, my advise is as follows:
  • Remove all lose junk from you car. Remove jack and spare is optional.

• Some like to remove the floor mats, and some tracks make you...

• Do not run A/C or any other electrical equipment while running down the track. This is robbing hp, and you do not want condensation dripping on the track. You can be asked to leave.

• If your on street tires DO NOT DO A BURN OUT!

• Drive around the water box if possible, unless on slicks.

• You want to do a VERY small one to two revolution burnout to remove any debris on your tires. NOT A FULL burn out.

• Ensure your windows are rolled up, the starting person will probably tell you to roll them up anyway if you forget.

• Try to keep your cav as cool as possible. Open your hood if the weather is hot that day. If it is cold out, you do no want to get to much below operating temperature.

• If you have adjustable struts. I personally like the front very soft and the rear AS STIFF AS possible.

• Normally I slightly air down the fronts lately to like 28psi, and air the rear up to 40+psi...depending on the max psi the tire is rated for...

• If you have an option run the lightest tire / rim combo you have. You can also run smaller diameter tires to help with gearing.

• Do not AIR DOWN STREET TIRES! You'll just be making your contact with the surface worse.<--this depends on the tires. Some like going down a few PSI.

• Check air between runs to ensure your tires are not to high on air from the heat of the track / racing. You may also need to add later on in the night when the track and air cool down.

• Do not be a dick and fully stage before your opponent. Pre-stage with only one set of lights lite till your opponent pre-stages. Then fully stage. You should be able to give the car a little more RPM to creep forward till fully staged.

• If you have time while staged. Take car out of gear rev car once with foot on brake to build vacuum. This will let your brakes hold harder, and let you launch harder. You should feel your peddle drop towards the floor a little.<---For Autos

• Right foot on gas to around 2000RPM with a stock torque converter, and left foot HARD on brakes.<----for Autos

• Turn off Traction control by pulling up your e-brake one click or by putting your car in second or first. just remember to up-shift. LOL<---Mainly an auto thing

• The faster car has priority on the return road. You should slow faster than he if you lost the race to show proper respect that you lost. This is a big pet peeve of experienced racers.

• DO NOT TURN ON STEREO in staging lanes, and there is no need to turn your headlights on. Most tracks have well lite tracks.

• If your running a .500" tree. Leave at the last yellow. I leave when the last yellow is turning off. If you leave at green....you already have a bad reaction time.

• Some drag strips make drivers wear JEAN pants, and some require long sleeves.

• Ensure your car is not leaking any fluids. some techs actually do their job and check the cars.

I think that covers most of it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, October 09, 2012 9:59 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:48 PM
One of the most important things to remember is your going out to have a good time, not set some record. Putting pressure on yourself makes it more likely that you will screw up. And don't get cocky either, if you get too confident, you will start to slack at the light. If you are running bracket races, only watch your side of the tree, as it is very unusual that you will dial the same as your opponent. Watch the more experienced racers, and don't be afraid to ask questions, most will be more than willing to help out someone new to the sport.

And as already stated, with an auto you should stage, put your left foot as hard an the brake as you can, shift to 2nd, and put your gas peddle to the floor. Don't forget to shift though; I did once in qualifications.....people give you a weird look when you miss a shift in an automatic.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:14 PM
Appreciate the advice guys. It is a 5-speed, but maybe this will help someone reading this with an auto as well. Can't wait to get out there.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:23 PM
Not listed is regarding wheel hop.

If your car starts to get wheel hop off the line (even tho it might not wheel hop on the street, the track is a whole different story) LET OFF THE GAS!!

Running a @!#$ty time cause you let off is much better than snapping an axle or tossing a diff.

If you do encounter wheel hop, play around with the RPM you are launching at and try to slip the clutch more....should be able to find a sweet spot where it won't happen.

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:13 PM
newt wrote:tossing a diff.

sooooooo.......guess what I did?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, October 26, 2012 5:37 PM
newt wrote:Not listed is regarding wheel hop.

If your car starts to get wheel hop off the line (even tho it might not wheel hop on the street, the track is a whole different story) LET OFF THE GAS!!

Running a @!#$ty time cause you let off is much better than snapping an axle or tossing a diff.

If you do encounter wheel hop, play around with the RPM you are launching at and try to slip the clutch more....should be able to find a sweet spot where it won't happen.

See, I never let off, I ease out, but never let off. Ive seen too many FWD's wheel hop, let off, snap. VS easing out of it. I compare it to a car that launches and does a wheelie and stays in it while easing off it comes down softer than letting off so the oil pan doesnt smash down.

Friday, October 26, 2012 5:40 PM
I think that's what happened. I left off but at the same time I heard the pop. Figured I was too late letting off. It hopped twice. That's it...

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, October 26, 2012 8:52 PM
what exactly is wheel hop? like what does it feel like inside when the car is getting wheel hop?

Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:11 AM
It's extremely violent, you'll know when its happening. Rather than the drive wheels spinning, they dig in and then skip off the pavement. You can hear and feel it, trust me.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:12 AM
....And then the parts start flying.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:11 PM
Also play with tire pressure as well.

If on street tires do not go through the water box, go around the water box, and do a very small burnout to clean them off (no need to smoke them)

When making changes (doesnt matter if it is air, struts, launch RPM's) do one change at a time.

Keep a log of the settings for future.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search