Replacement Engine Options - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replacement Engine Options
Monday, November 10, 2014 9:17 AM
Seeking advice of the experts here, promise I have searched, but come up empty on the following question.

What options do we have for a replacement engine for our 1997 Z24?

Unfortunately we lost our motor at the NCM chumpcar race in October. I understand that the 97 and 98 have the EGR valve, so those seem like the easiest for us to put in. But could we use a later model LD9 that does not have the EGR?

I am guessing there is a sensor that we would have to fake out or a CEL that we will simply have to ignore. This is a race car, so no worries on emissions, smog, etc... Just looking for straight forward solutions for getting the car back up and running.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Replacement Engine Options
Monday, November 10, 2014 10:12 AM
Did it blow a #3 rod bearing and/or throw that rod?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, November 10, 2014 10:41 AM
Good question, haven't removed and torn it down yet. I think it pulled oil into the intake via the PCV system. I don't think it was a starvation problem.

I talked to some other teams that run LD9s and they leave the oil level down to the first hole from the top. I filled it just before it went out following a fuel stop and the engine was gone shortly after. Lots of oil outside the engine and on the plugs. Assuming the crankcase was pressurized and blew out some seals.

At the very least, I am pretty sure we bent one or more rods, possible bearing damage as well? It will start, but sounds and runs terrible. At this point, it just seems to make more sense to start with a good running used motor and build this one as a possible spare or just use it for parts.
Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:16 PM
You can use a newer LD9. All LD9's have the ability to run EGR. You would just tun your 97 intake manifold, injectors, EGR, exhaust manifold.

Knock sensor hole size is different on 2000+ LD9's, but you can drill and tap to match that of your current setup.

All this information is on this site.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:57 AM
Can you use non OE? If so a real Quad-4 all day.

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, November 24, 2014 9:41 AM
Thanks addicted, I assume the newer cars just run a block off plate or something that can be removed? Have only ever seen the 97 engine in my car, so no real world comparison. Pulled the intake and fuel rail this weekend, so have a much better idea of how the EGR is setup.

Quote:

Can you use non OE? If so a real Quad-4 all day.

I had never even really thought about that as a possibility, but that sounds pretty awesome. I have no idea if they are available in my area. CC rules are a little weird for engine swaps, but at the end of the day, if the two engines being swapped have "A" classification from the junkyard and have similar $ values on car-part.com, you're more or less good to go.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search