Tracking the car for the first time (Road Course) - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tracking the car for the first time (Road Course)
Sunday, June 10, 2018 11:32 AM
So for Fathers Day my Dad and I are taking the cavalier to a local 1.6 mile road course to do a open track day. We both will get 20 minutes with an instructor in the car. This will be both of ours first time tracking the car.

I know I have a lot to learn and look forward to it. Any recommendations? I plan to get some video's from in car of my driving.

I plan to update this post with info, pictures, video's etc..

FU Tuning

Re: Tracking the car for the first time (Road Course)
Thursday, June 14, 2018 9:33 AM
Id basically recommend a once over of the car. Check torque on suspension components to make sure they are tight, top off all fluids, check tire pressures, and make sure you take extra fluids and essential tools with you (jack, torque wrench, sockets, etc) in case you need to work on the car at all once you’re there. If you decide to mess with settings on the car while you’re there, make small, individual changes and see if anything improves.

Aside from that, have fun!!

Saturday, June 16, 2018 4:47 AM
strat81 wrote:Id basically recommend a once over of the car. Check torque on suspension components to make sure they are tight, top off all fluids, check tire pressures, and make sure you take extra fluids and essential tools with you (jack, torque wrench, sockets, etc) in case you need to work on the car at all once you’re there. If you decide to mess with settings on the car while you’re there, make small, individual changes and see if anything improves.

Aside from that, have fun!!

great recommendations. I made a check list of things to check. Fluids, lug nuts, removing basic stuff out of the trunk (bass cannon), tire pressure. I had decided to put suspension on full hard. I usually have it this way anyways, but had left the front mid way from the last drag strip trip.

Sadly the track day on Fathers day was cancelled, as they did not have enough cars registered. We will be doing another day in the next few weeks. I was really looking forward to this.

FU Tuning

Monday, June 18, 2018 2:41 PM
The fathers Day track day was cancelled, because not enough cars registered. So we will be going this Saturday the 23. I have decided to do a coolant flush on the car this week.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 10:03 AM
sub'd for after action report.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, June 23, 2018 4:02 PM
Just got home from the track. The car performed AWESOMELY!!! I couldn't ask for more from the car honestly. I did go off track once on like my 3 lap with the instructor.

Brakes, man they performed wonderfully. I have more brakes than I need honestly. Biggest issue today was oil temps. I saw 250+ at one point, after that once they got to 250 we backed it down. Coolant temps was a small issue, but I had done a flush this week, and appears I still had some air in the system, as the day went on and we would bleed it after runs it got better.

In the last 10 minutes of the day we had a charge pipe blow off and it made the car go WOT right as my dad let of the gas to get on the brakes for a banked corner. It got slightly harry, but we were able to control the car and get off the track. Had to be towed in. Mike Davis tow hook worked great!! lol. I will post some pictures later. We ended up trailer the car home as it was just too hot to deal with the pipe.

Honestly got passed once today and even my instructor said we should not have let him by, I had messed up a corner and he got close, so I pointed him by. I did point a couple others by on cool down laps. Out of a C6, C7, couple mustangs, couple Mr2's, hand full of miata's, newer STI, couple CTS-V's, then a Aerial Atom with a Turbo Ecotec, and a Turbo Lotus. Those 2 were the fastest, but I was never on track with them. The car held it's own. Got lots of complaints on the car. MR2 that I pointed by later came over asking about the car, and said dude your car is fast, you shouldn't have pointed me by.

Great day with my Dad. We both want to do another track day. Going to look at a oil cooler setup.

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 24, 2018 4:02 PM
Here is a video of my last run driving.

Track Day video

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search