24 hours of LeMons - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
24 hours of LeMons
Thursday, June 30, 2016 6:55 PM
Has anyone ever done a 24 hours of LeMons race? If so did you use a Jbody?

Feedback?

FU Tuning

Re: 24 hours of LeMons
Thursday, June 30, 2016 7:40 PM
I'd like to someday, not that that really helps

sub'd I guess

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Friday, August 26, 2016 11:16 AM
I am about to undertake this starting tomorrow. It is a 2002 from Canada, my wife's old car. A little over 100k miles (167k km) with the base 2.2 and 5 speed manual.

I am open to suggestions on the first "upgrade." It does have lowered springs, I went all out and spent $65 on them so I imagine they are top of the line. tinyurl.com/gpqskl3

I'd like to add an oil accumulator and do something to upgrade the differential. Thoughts?

I'll take pictures tomorrow as I remove things. BTW, if anyone need interior parts from a 2002 Cavalier, let me know. The only thing I plan to keep are the sliders.

Also, how does one pull an airbag without killing themselves?

Asking for a friend.

Trevor
Tuesday, August 30, 2016 11:18 AM
Got some good work done this weekend.

Interior before I started.
Attachments
0827161021a.jpg (1923k)

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 11:23 AM
After the work.

Not done yet but getting there.
Attachments
Interiorfrontsmall.jpg (146k)
interiorbacksmall.jpg (126k)

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 2:32 PM
From what I have read. Work on making it last.

FU Tuning

Thursday, September 01, 2016 8:15 AM
Yep make it reliable and don't be leading the race until the end, some of the lead cars tend to get destroyed before they finish unless they stopped doing that, been a while since I read about the 24hrs of lemons.

Thursday, September 01, 2016 12:29 PM
I have run an Integra and a Talon in the series and both have been a challenge to make reliable.

The Intega had issues with its electrical, especially distributor. The Talon had oil issues, which is why I want an accumulator on the Cavalier.

The other main issue is finding teammates that know that short sifting might cost us a fraction of a second on lap times but will save the engine overall thus we finish.

I am still thinking I would like an LSD. Anyone have thoughts on where to find a cheap one? Used one?

Also, I need thoughts on larger wheels/tires and larger brakes? Does anything from another car bolt on?

Thank you.

Trevor
Friday, September 02, 2016 3:31 AM
Trevor Shand wrote:I have run an Integra and a Talon in the series and both have been a challenge to make reliable.

The Intega had issues with its electrical, especially distributor. The Talon had oil issues, which is why I want an accumulator on the Cavalier.

The other main issue is finding teammates that know that short sifting might cost us a fraction of a second on lap times but will save the engine overall thus we finish.

I am still thinking I would like an LSD. Anyone have thoughts on where to find a cheap one? Used one?

Also, I need thoughts on larger wheels/tires and larger brakes? Does anything from another car bolt on?

Thank you.

Trevor

cheapest LSD option is a insert like Team green.

Brakes. I would do a neon or saturn rear disc conversion with some good rotors and pads, and SS lines and be done. With making the car light the brakes would be great.

FU Tuning

Friday, September 02, 2016 4:33 AM
for the low cost and piece of mind, i'd probably look at the nwf brake swap for the front honestly. bigger rotors will dissipate heat a lot better and should help with fade.

Friday, September 02, 2016 5:56 AM
So I think I'll swing by a salvage yard and get Neon rear brakes.

I also like the idea of increasing the front brakes. Will any of the brakes from the NWF cars work? If not, how do I tell what fits my 2002? I did a brief scan of the forums and didn't see anything.

And does Team Green have a website? How do I get hold of them?

Thank you.

Trevor

Sunday, September 04, 2016 1:14 PM
Sunday, September 04, 2016 1:27 PM
Trevor Shand wrote:I also like the idea of increasing the front brakes. Will any of the brakes from the NWF cars work? If not, how do I tell what fits my 2002? I did a brief scan of the forums and didn't see anything.

It's stickied at the top of the suspension and brake forum I'll link this since I am trying to be 'nice'

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Tuesday, September 06, 2016 7:11 AM
Thank you!!
Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:50 PM
We ran a 97 the last 2 years at the BFE G.P. It's by no means the fastest car on the track but we have a lot of fun. We run the factory brakes with EBC Yellows up front with cooling ducts and cheap shoes in the back with good results. We're lucky to break 100 mph so I wouldn't worry about big brake swaps until you have more power. Our next upgrade will be to handling by stiffening the rear.
Things to look out for are the Passlock system and the rear hubs. They don't like track stress and if you don't check them, the back wheels will fall off.
Monday, January 02, 2017 4:18 PM
Somehow this got posted in the general racing thread rather than the Lemons specific one so I am re-posting here.

Finally got the car back from being caged. It was supposed to be a week or two ended up being about three months. But James at Roll Cage Components does great work that sails through tech inspection so worth the wait.

I also painted more of me, my hands, face and hair than I expected but I think that is common when painting. Matte black in case it is not clear.

Removable steering wheel which is a must have with the sedan is next, then drop the fuel tank and drill out the gas tank filler to take the larger diameter necks from the racing fuel jugs, then oil accumulator, oil filter enlarging and relocation and oil cooler.

Then kill switch.

Fire suppression will be mandatory by 2018 so I am guessing I might as well do that.

Maybe move the battery to the back.

Thoughts?

Trevor
Attachments
0102171658.jpg (497k)
0102171658a.jpg (337k)
0102171659b.jpg (316k)
0102171659a.jpg (318k)
0102171659.jpg (215k)

Saturday, January 28, 2017 9:09 PM
Cage looks nice! If you keep the stock brakes. I have a set of the EBC yellows I can sell you. Brand new. It took me 2 months to get them shipped. They were out of stock everywhere, but by the time I got them, I had went with another pad cause I had to have something for my track days.
What seats are you putting in, and can you show the slider you use to install them? I wanna get new seats, but not quite sure how to work out the sliders. I am keeping an interior thought, unlike you though.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 1:46 PM
If you add a splitter or anything to impede airflow you will be more likely to overheat as the Cavs already have basically no clean air to rad.. I cut open my front end and it stays dead at 178 degrees while on track... I blew up one ecotec before doing this... so I learned the hard way.
Thursday, July 06, 2017 4:32 PM
El Caminokid wrote:If you add a splitter or anything to impede airflow you will be more likely to overheat as the Cavs already have basically no clean air to rad.. I cut open my front end and it stays dead at 178 degrees while on track... I blew up one ecotec before doing this... so I learned the hard way.

They pull the air from underneath the car. That black plastic air defector pulls air up, if a splitter was blocking that it would cause a issue.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 06, 2017 5:25 PM
the defector fell off of my cav and I had an RK-Sport lip. never had cooling issues even in Texas.

Saturday, July 15, 2017 8:40 PM
Blue2000cavalier wrote:the defector fell off of my cav and I had an RK-Sport lip. never had cooling issues even in Texas.

Did you run your car sweeping from 3000 rpm - redline for 24 hours in texas with no air getting to the radiator?

Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:39 PM
Blue2000cavalier wrote:the defector fell off of my cav and I had an RK-Sport lip. never had cooling issues even in Texas.

I had a cav with stock kit that temp would raise on the interstate when that deflector was not on. In traffic/non interstate driving no difference, only on interstate.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:40 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:

I had a cav with stock kit that temp would raise on the interstate when that deflector was not on. In traffic/non interstate driving no difference, only on interstate.

I'd have assumed the opposite to be more likely. It to have cooling issues at slower city speeds when less air is moving because of lower speeds.

Monday, October 01, 2018 3:37 PM
I realized I have been bad about posting, but I'll give you pictures of the final product. I had it prepped for the 24 Hours of Lemons race a few weeks ago at Carolina Motorsports Park but the hurricane washed it out. But they rescheduled it for the first weekend in November, so we'll be there.

Pictures are too big to link here so I made an Imgur post. https://imgur.com/a/G4k2dMe

Plan to swap the rear end next simply to get away from drum brakes. They suck to work on.

Trevor
Friday, November 09, 2018 4:34 AM
I wish I could watch the race in person. That would be a cool experience.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search