Autocrossers...what tires are you running in '05 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Autocrossers...what tires are you running in '05
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 1:49 PM
Just wondering what tires and what size are everybody running for the '05 autocross season?

I changed wheel sizes so I do have for sale a set of Hoosier R3SO4 205/50r15 on 15x7 polished 5spoke wheels that have at least 75% of their life left. There is only one DOT autocross tire out there that is stickier than these and it's another hoosier. Email me for details. I will separate the tires from the wheels if you're in need of either. I'm not planning on giving them away though. They blow away yoko's and ecsta's, bolt em on and cut your times!

Re: Autocrossers...what tires are you running in '
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 2:13 PM
I'll be running bald 205.55.r16 azenis untill I can get my hands on some new ones . I have some Yokohama Avid H4's as a backup- but they have the softest side wall I have ever seen. <br>

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 3:08 PM
Anyone know anything about the Dunlop Sp Sport FM901's? I just picked up a free set (215-45R-17) through one of my dealers and they have tremendous grip! Anyone know any info on them?

Anywho that's what i'm running with no suspension work this season! <br>

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 4:54 PM
205.55.r16 azenis for me also <br>

see ya!

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 5:00 PM
I'll be going with the 215/45/16 next. <br>

Monday, January 24, 2005 7:45 AM
225/45/17 falken rt615's soon as they come out <br>

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 1:10 PM
Still 225/45/15 Kumho Ecsta V700 for now. I'd like to try the V710's or the Victoracers next year, even though I can't get the Victoracers in the same small diameter I use. I'm hoping a stiffer sidewall can allow me to use less negative camber on the front. <br>

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 1:42 PM
Joshua Huber wrote:225/45/17 falken rt615's soon as they come out

That sounds way to big to me. I'd be in a 15" wheel if I had some decent ones. A 17" is huge! That can not work good for you.

autoxxxer- Have you thought about azenis? They have an excellent sidewall. What class do you run though? <br>

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 11:56 PM
Zach wrote:
Joshua Huber wrote:225/45/17 falken rt615's soon as they come out

That sounds way to big to me. I'd be in a 15" wheel if I had some decent ones. A 17" is huge! That can not work good for you.

autoxxxer- Have you thought about azenis? They have an excellent sidewall. What class do you run though?
i think that a 225/45/17 would be a great tire choice.because you have a even shorter side wall and that would increase steering response a lot. but that is me thinking again a 18 would be nice <br>

see ya!

Thursday, January 27, 2005 5:42 AM
novaracer wrote:have a even shorter side wall and that would increase steering response a lot. but that is me thinking again a 18 would be nice

18's? If I ever saw someone trying to autocross a cavalier in 18's I'd say: . A 225/45/17 has a bigger sidewall (by a little) than a 215/45/16 and sits almost an inch taller. It is also just barely wider than a 215/45/16.

Autocrossing on a 17 with a 225/45 tires is not smart. It hurts your gearing and it adds to rotating mass. Turn-in isn't a huge deal either. I'd take a 15" wheel with a 4.0" sidewall over a 17" wheel with a 3.8" sidewall any day.

Here's my opinion:
If you can get a 225/45 in a 15 or 16 inch wheel that would be good, otherwise a 215/45 in those sizes would be good. 15" of course would be preferred over 16". <br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 5:51 AM
Zach - I hadn't really considered Azenis, since they're not really an R-compound class tire. The only people I see running them are people who can't afford to take the extra prep-point for R's, but I do hear that they're one of the best street-class tires.

I'm in DSP in CASC-OR rules, which I'm not sure what that relates to in SCCA, but it's just under Modified here. I'm seriously outgunned in my class right now. My car is basically set up to be a DSS car, but the camber plates bumped me up a class. Now I have 9 more prep-points to play with, so Cobalt SS engine swap, here I come! <br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 6:05 AM
Have you tried hoosiers? The a3s03's are supposed to be very good but I can not attest to their sidewall strength. Somebody in your region must be running a set and they might be able to tell you.

If you were running scca you would be in FSP unless the A-arms throw you into street mod(anything goes). You should think about swapping an ecotec or a 2.4 because it could be a long time before you get the chance to get an SS engine. Right now your car is probably running high 17's in the 1/4. An ecotec or 2.4 will run low 15's easily(with a few minor mods) and should make you much more competitive.

For a quick solution I'd say do your exhaust right now if you have the money. Full exhaust with a header and high flow cat lowered my e/ts by 6-7 tenths of a second and you can always reuse everything from the cat-back no matter what engine you put in(unless you go with insane boost and need 3") and sell the header off on ebay or something. <br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 6:49 AM
I haven't tried Hoosiers yet. Guys I've talked to say that the grip is fantastic, better than anything else out there, but they don't last long, and they're quite expensive. Maybe some day I'll splurge and get them...

I've never dragged the car, so I couldn't tell you what it runs right now. But since it's a base model with no options (quite light), and no A/C, I seem to have a bit more power than your standard 2200. But still nothing to get excited about.

My GM dealer says he can get me the engine right now for $7500 CAD. The tranny, ecu and associated parts should bring the total to somewhere near 10 large. A pretty steep investment, considering I bought the car new for less than that. I'm holding off until I can prove with documentation that the block is the same as the one that would have come in my 02 if I ordered the ecotec. Otherwise I can't stay in my class, and there's no amount of money that will allow me to compete with this car in Modified.

The exhaust is a good idea though. I'd been holding off on engine work, anticipating the swap, but you're right, I could always reuse the exhaust (except the header). Would extreme boost from a SC also require a 3" pipe, or is that just from turbo? <br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:05 AM
I'm not too sure what brand i'll run this year for tires... something thats in my tight budget and thats all around for street and Autocross on my stock 16's

Hey Craig,

I thought your car looked familar. I met ya last year at one of the Woodstock Wosca events. Will you be making it out often this year?

<br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:17 AM
I'll try to make it out as much as possible, unless I get sent away on business for months on end again. I hope to hit the next three winter slaloms. Now that I have an event win, I'll be gunning for the series win. Are going to make it out to a few? The more J's the better.

You may not have recognized my car from my sig, because it's one of the few pictures of it without my bike roofracks on it. I still haven't been allowed to race with my bikes attached to the roof ... I have no idea why not... <br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:27 AM
They have AutoX in our area but it is on Sunday which is not a good day for me i wish it was on a Saturday or something. <br>

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:39 AM
autoxxxer wrote:I'll try to make it out as much as possible, unless I get sent away on business for months on end again. I hope to hit the next three winter slaloms. Now that I have an event win, I'll be gunning for the series win. Are going to make it out to a few? The more J's the better.

You may not have recognized my car from my sig, because it's one of the few pictures of it without my bike roofracks on it. I still haven't been allowed to race with my bikes attached to the roof ... I have no idea why not...

Oh i reconized it just fine that sucks that they won't let you race with the racks on. That was the coolest thing i rembered about your car. That and your mods.

I missed the first one. I need to double check for the next event. But i soooo wanna hit it more often than i did last year. I don't thing you saw my car with the graphics on it when we raced.

Well i'll see you at the races!

<br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 9:06 AM
I've autocrossed using 15's 16's and now 17's. Typically I would agree about unsprung weight with 17's however I'm using Black Racing pro n1's that weight 14.1 lbs each . my last set of autocross wheels were rays engineering gram lights in a 16" weighing around 16.0 lbs each. So i've already dropped 1.9 lbs per tire of unsprung weight.

some ebc brake pads n rotars fixes the worry about rotating mass, the car doesn't have abs it locks them up instantly (plenty of brake i'd say

As far as handling 225/45/17 vs 225/50/16 and 205/55/16 i've noticed a huge improvement, not only on the autocross tarmak but on the full fledged road coarse doing some lapping as well <br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 9:11 AM
Craig, would they let you drop a 2.4L in and then put the GM Supercharger on it? Considering you could do that swap for like 4000 (including the 3 grand for the supercharger) that might be a good way to go. I see wrecked 2.4's on ebay all the time going for like 700-1000 bucks. <br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 9:53 AM
Joshua Huber wrote:I've autocrossed using 15's 16's and now 17's. Typically I would agree about unsprung weight with 17's however I'm using Black Racing pro n1's that weight 14.1 lbs each . my last set of autocross wheels were rays engineering gram lights in a 16" weighing around 16.0 lbs each. So i've already dropped 1.9 lbs per tire of unsprung weight.

some ebc brake pads n rotars fixes the worry about rotating mass, the car doesn't have abs it locks them up instantly (plenty of brake i'd say

As far as handling 225/45/17 vs 225/50/16 and 205/55/16 i've noticed a huge improvement, not only on the autocross tarmak but on the full fledged road coarse doing some lapping as well
thank you! <br>

see ya!

Thursday, January 27, 2005 11:57 AM
Where's the autoxfool when you need him? I'm fairly sure I would get some support from him.

225/50/16 has a longer sidewall but is the same width and height as the 17. So you have better turn in. 205/55/16 is the same height, larger sidewall, and much skinner than the 225/45/17. That is why your 17's handle better

I'm telling you the same tire in a 225/45/15 would be the same width, have the same profile but would be much shorter - giving you faster acceleration. You could get some kosei K1's that are only 10.6 lbs and drop 5.4 lbs off each wheel instead of 2.9. <br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 12:11 PM
I'll back you up Zach. (I wrote a longish post about my engine plans, but my computer ate it, so I'll repost later).

For the same strength of sidewall, a given sidewall height will provide better steering response than a taller sidewall. Note that this height is not the profile number, but the profile number times the width. For example:

225/50/16 -> .50*225 = 112.50mm of sidewall, 24.85" total diameter
225/45/17 -> .45*225 = 101.25mm of sidewall, 24.97" total diameter

So we have two tires which are the exact same width, essentially the same diameter, but a different sidewall height. The 17" will handle better, but will likely be heavier due to the rims.

I can personally attest to the Kosei K1 and 225/45/15 combo, as that is what I run when autocrossing. Relatively lightweight, small diameter for short gearing, decent sized contact patch, and pretty short sidewalls. <br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 6:07 AM
autoxxxer wrote: The more J's the better.

i have an idea... this is off the wosca site for the 2005 season. straight off the homepage...

Quote:

Also be on the look out for a TEAM championship! That's right gather some friends and gang up on ... ok I can't think of a group I dislike in solo, but maybe you know someone.

What do you think about that... J-body autoX team

and see you on the 6th

<br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 6:26 AM
So far,, im not running any tires this season Ive already missed 2 events this year. I think im gonna ged rid of my dept, and pay for all the tires i used up last year before i buy more tires this year

The civic should be back in running order in a few weeks. I have a set of worn out V700's mounted right now , but i will run Kumhos again(victoracer or V700) and Hoosier only if i go to Nationals, I learned my lesson with those tires last year.

Good luck to everyone this Season!! <br>

AIRPLANE SHANE
Mazda Rev It Up Atlanta Champion '03
#118 H2 98 Honda Civic DX
http://teamlovely.shutterfly.com
89Z24 conv. island cruiser
Friday, January 28, 2005 7:13 AM
I think it would be tuff to find k1's in a 15x7.5. I wouldn't recomend putting 225's on a 15x7.

Also k1's are kind of a cheap rim. Rather flimsey in my opinion.

Yes I'm planning on doing SCCA Rro SOLO II this year. <br>

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search