Autocrossers...what tires are you running in '05 - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Autocrossers...what tires are you running in '
Friday, January 28, 2005 7:48 AM
I need some competition in FSP Shane. Hoping to get AGX's installed over spring break so maybe the thing wont oversteer so bad one me. <br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 3:06 PM
I'll be runnin FSP again this year, but i dont think i will be going to whitehouse as much this year. We do have a few combined events so i will be there for those. <br>

AIRPLANE SHANE
Mazda Rev It Up Atlanta Champion '03
#118 H2 98 Honda Civic DX
http://teamlovely.shutterfly.com
89Z24 conv. island cruiser
Friday, January 28, 2005 10:06 PM
Zach wrote:I need some competition in FSP Shane. Hoping to get AGX's installed over spring break so maybe the thing wont oversteer so bad one me.
get the adjustable addco endlink kit. it works great with the stock endlinks that is full stiff and the endlink kit give you three softer options with longer endlinks. it is worth the 20 bucks <br>

see ya!

Saturday, January 29, 2005 7:34 AM
QUOTE]I think it would be tuff to find k1's in a 15x7.5. I wouldn't recomend putting 225's on a 15x7.

I wasn't able to find them in a 7.5" width. My 225's seem to run ok on 7" rims. It's within the recommended range from Kunho. Sure, they could use a bit more rim support, but for the price, I couldn't find anything better.

Quote:

Also k1's are kind of a cheap rim. Rather flimsey in my opinion.[

True, they are a very light cast rim. Lightweight + Cast = Weak. But I know at least 4 other guys that raced them last year, including lapping days, and all survived. I wouldn't reccommend them for rallying or anything like that. But for the price of them compared to a forged rim of the same weight, it's a good choice for those of us on limited motorsports budgets. <br>

Saturday, January 29, 2005 8:13 AM
225 on a 7" wide rim, although it is doable, in my opinion the skinny rim effects the biting edge of the tire.

\_/ vs |_|

you know what i mean?
<br>

Saturday, January 29, 2005 8:52 AM
You're right about the rims, Josh. But price was a big factor on my setup. To go to a 15x7.5 or even better, a 15x8, at the same weight would have cost double what I paid. So I had to make a price/performance compromise. <br>

Saturday, January 29, 2005 11:28 AM
ive put a 225 on a 14x6, Hoosier that is,,wasnt the best thing to do but it worked. <br>

AIRPLANE SHANE
Sunday, January 30, 2005 4:50 PM
When do you expect the civic to rise from the ashes again Shane? <br>

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 4:40 AM
Quote:

What do you think about that... J-body autoX team

I like that idea!

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 5:37 AM
autoxxxer wrote:
Quote:

What do you think about that... J-body autoX team

I like that idea!

Cool! This should be fun!!!!!

see you on sunday, we can talk about it then!

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 8:59 PM
Zach wrote:When do you expect the civic to rise from the ashes again Shane?

Im picking the car up this weekend in columbia on my way to charlotte. Im going to a Central Carlonia Region Event at Knights Stadium on Sunday and doing some Karting at Victory Lanes on Saturday . Those Karts they have there are sick fun!!

AIRPLANE SHANE

Thursday, February 03, 2005 9:01 AM
AutoXXXer, you should be in FSP:

2.2l cavalier is HS base, 2.4l is GS

2.2l --> FSP
2.4l --> DSP

I ran FSS, then FSP for three years and won everything possible in both. One of the guys on ASN SoloSport commitee is a good friend of mine and I checked this with him - 2.2l cannot be in GS or DSP...

No modified 2.2l can compete with DSP cars, especially on the level of prep I`ve seen in Ontario... You should do fine in FSP, although there are lots of competitive cars there as well. I ran FSS at the nationals since my car was essentially maxed out FSS (i bumped myself to FSP in Atlantic Region) and I ran faster than all but one FSP car there (there was 6 of them i think).

Z24 could do well in DSP I think, especially on tighter courses. We`ll see this year, I sold my entire setup to fellow autocrosser in Z24

CAC2004 FSS#1, 2003,2004 Atlantic FSP #1, 2004 Overall Atlantic #1

Thursday, February 03, 2005 9:11 AM
Zach wrote:Where's the autoxfool when you need him? I'm fairly sure I would get some support from him.

225/50/16 has a longer sidewall but is the same width and height as the 17. So you have better turn in. 205/55/16 is the same height, larger sidewall, and much skinner than the 225/45/17. That is why your 17's handle better

My CPU has been on the fritz (new, real one FINALLY on the way) and I'm at the public library now. Bah!

Considering I've not personally tested out 17s (though would love too), I'm just going to say that I'd never go with a 205/55/16. Way too tall of a sidewall, and 205 is just too skinny given the weight of the cav. It needs a larger footprint.

I really want to try a 225.50.15 ST tire. That size worked well for DSP on VictoRacers and will give me a touch more top speed gear, though I still may need to find a 225.50.16 or 225.45.17 to get it back closer to stock gearing if I continue to run out of gear early in sections of course (too common last year and usually cost me time.)

As for other items in this thread: Kosei K1s. Never had a problem with them autocrossing. I've driving to and from out of state events on them too, never a problem. Stick with what they are good for and you won't have any problems. They also are just over 15lbs each for our applications.

Hoosiers. We ran Hoosiers on the 86 MR2 but I didn't have much seat time on them to give you much info aside from good traction but we couldn't get the recommended heat temps into them. To me, they were very slightly better than the Kumho Ectsa's.

Joshua - Where did you get your current wheels from??

Is it time to race yet (though still don't have anything really to race) ???

Lightweight honDuhs can kiss my fat Crapalier a$$
A new autoX ride for '08.....
Thursday, February 03, 2005 1:32 PM
Vlad, I would love to run in FSP, and have argued the point, but received this e-mail from Wes Tanney, the solo2 director for Ontario (through the Wosca promotional director). If you know how I could change this, I'd love to know.

Quote:

Hi Marshall,

I'd like to request a classification of my car for both Ontario Regionals and Nationals for SS/SP. Do you know the correct e-mail addresses to send the request to? Or could you just forward this to the appropriate people?

My 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier (Base model, with the 2200 SOHC engine - non-Ecotec- 115hp) is currently classed CSP under the engine displacement catch-all: Sedans over 1.7L and Under 3.0L NOC

The higher powered versions of my car are classed in DSP: J-Body V6, 4-cyl turbo, quad 4 (DOHC)

My suggestion would be FSP, along with other the GM 4-cyl SOHCs

Thanks,
Craig Nowak

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marshall,

I think you did question this and the answer was it is in DSS/SP. I was told that they are capable of being competitive with the right driver and right mods, but it definitely isn't the best car in the class.

Wes

Friday, February 04, 2005 7:49 AM
Saturday, February 05, 2005 9:59 AM
novaracer wrote:get the adjustable addco endlink kit.

How does changing the endlink length adjust the effect of the sway bar? I thought the only two variables involved were torsional stiffness of the bar, and link distance from the center of rotation of the bar (leverage). Real racing bars I've seen have multiple mounting holes for the endlinks in the end of the bars, but the link length dosen't need to change for this to work.

Saturday, February 05, 2005 5:40 PM
autoxxxer wrote:
novaracer wrote:get the adjustable addco endlink kit.

How does changing the endlink length adjust the effect of the sway bar? I thought the only two variables involved were torsional stiffness of the bar, and link distance from the center of rotation of the bar (leverage). Real racing bars I've seen have multiple mounting holes for the endlinks in the end of the bars, but the link length dosen't need to change for this to work.
the longer the link the softer the bar's action and the kit is from addco i think because i ordered it when i ordered my rear addco bar fro high rev.

see ya!

Saturday, February 05, 2005 7:17 PM
novaracer,

Can you actually notice a difference when you adjust the length of the end-links?

I'm still not convinced that changing the link length will change the roll-resistance of the bar, but then again, I'm not a mechanical engineer so I can't say for sure.

Sunday, February 06, 2005 8:14 PM
Well, it looks like old Wes Tanney does not know what he is talking about.

He doesn`t let you in FSP because he "heard" that 2.2l can be competitive with a right driver?

My suggestion is that you check the rulebook, and contact someone higher than him, say president of the region or maybe someone from SoloSport commitee. Your car is DEFINITELY under SOHC GM group since it is the closest description. If they argue against it again, wave them SCCA rule book in front of their face together with ASN Canada FIA SoloSport rule book, which both run our car in HS/FSP.

You may also point out to Wes Tanney that that 2.2l cavalier was running in FSP at the nationals and are running in atlantic region classed like that (and Z24 in DSP).

Complain until you get it, it is simply unfair.

CAC2004 FSS#1, 2003,2004 Atlantic FSP #1, 2004 Overall Atlantic #1

Monday, February 07, 2005 7:49 AM
I now have an answer on the adjustable sway bar end links. I spoke to a mechanical engineer who has won multiple overall Ontario solo2 championships. His answer is this (I paraphrase):

Adjusting the length of the endlinks has no effect on the roll-resistance of the sway bar. The purpose of the adjustability is for crossweighting a adjustable height suspension. When you tune for cross weights, you need to readjust your sway bar using the link lengths to be neutral when the car is at rest.

If you don't have adjustable height suspension (coilovers), you don't need adjustable endlinks.

Friday, February 11, 2005 10:19 AM
Vlad,

If you have them, could you please send me some links that show the 2.2L running in FSS/SP for Nationals and Atlantic region? I can't seem to find the Nationals archive anywhere. I'd like to re-state my request to be re-classes, but with some backup data.

Thanks.

Friday, February 11, 2005 3:12 PM
i have the dunlop fm901's on my 17's i dont autocross but the tires are great on the street i can take corners probably 40 percent faster then stock tires, i just cant get them to lose grip!

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

UNLIMITED streaming online movies
Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:51 PM
I ran 205/50/15 Yokohama AVS ES-100's last year, about the same grip as azenis on mild days, slower on hot days, and way faster on cold days. The yokos were great on the street and track at higher speeds, very predictabe limits, not as peaky a breakaway point as I expected based on how the tire squealed at the limit (or didnt much actually). You gotta feel them out, they give more than they let on. Next year Im not daily driving it, just weekends, so Hoosiers are on the wish list, 205/50/15 A3SO3's if they're still avail., and a 225/50/15 Yoko AVS ES-100, or 205/50/15 Azenis for the street.
Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:57 PM
autoxxxer wrote:I now have an answer on the adjustable sway bar end links. I spoke to a mechanical engineer who has won multiple overall Ontario solo2 championships. His answer is this (I paraphrase):

Adjusting the length of the endlinks has no effect on the roll-resistance of the sway bar. The purpose of the adjustability is for crossweighting a adjustable height suspension. When you tune for cross weights, you need to readjust your sway bar using the link lengths to be neutral when the car is at rest.

If you don't have adjustable height suspension (coilovers), you don't need adjustable endlinks.
I bet he is right. but i do have coilovers now from my RC racing days i never adjusted corner weighting with bar end-links just with spring perch and just make sure that the bar has no effect on corner weights when attached. but they were toys

see ya!

Monday, March 14, 2005 7:21 PM
ok i got the falkens mounted i only have about 75miles on them but they had a oil/release agent on them and for the first few miles they were slick and now all i can say is WOW turn the wheel and the car turns in a hurry. so much grip it seems like a dream lol! breaking is nice also. i mean it stops wayyyy quicker. nice tires i just need to get some more miles on them

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search