Drag wheels - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drag wheels
Monday, January 31, 2005 4:11 PM
ok since the cavi has the same bolt as the grand am who has a good price on some 13 or 14 or 15 inch rims for drag racing. I am looking for light weight drag wheels about 8" wide for the tires I want to run. Dont care looking for either used or new.

91 GA 12.080@113.99 best 1/4 mile E.T.
www.killerquad4.com
jake@killerquad4.com
Looking for Sponsor

Re: Drag wheels
Monday, January 31, 2005 4:19 PM
wheel and tire forum?

Monday, January 31, 2005 4:23 PM
Used, try CLASSIFIEDS.

Monday, January 31, 2005 7:19 PM
Jake.

I've looked, there's not much out there under 15 lbs per corner.

Locating really light 5 X 100mm bolt circle wheels is going to be tough. Jegs has the 13 X 8 Weld Race Lites for $211 new. They weigh 6lbs.

Bogarts are more money. Motegi does have a new 15" drag wheel out, but I have no idea where it's priced.

I prefer a small wheel and more side wall at the power we make. It's easier on the CV's. For bottom bulb racing, the slower reacting large sidewall is irrelavent, just pick a different spot on the tree.

Also, slick side walls are way lighter than a bigger aluminum wheel. That's why I went 13 X 8 up front.

We can try my wheels and tires on your car and I'll bet it will pick up a tenth over the stock wheels with the BFG drag radials, just because of the rotating weight reduction.
Monday, January 31, 2005 7:23 PM
I run 15X7 Bogarts on the front and I am sure they are worth a tenth, maybe more over stock.
Monday, January 31, 2005 8:11 PM
http://www.tirerack.com has the Kosei K1 Racing 15X8, 13.5lbs for $129. It's more of an AutoX wheel though. They dont carry much for Drag Racing.

Monday, January 31, 2005 8:12 PM
My Bad, they are 15X7s

Monday, January 31, 2005 10:36 PM
Bogart 15x8 is what I run with 24.5x8x15 inch MT slicks... they are not cheap.. but they do the trick...

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 5:47 AM
Where is the best place to get a set of Bogart's?

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 7:05 AM
I called Bogart direct in California. 1-619-596-7605 I bought mine in 2002.
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 12:53 PM
Yep I got mine 1 year ago.. I tell you they are not cheap.. but worth it... You will also need longer wheel studs and new lug nuts for them....

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 3:06 PM
Don't try to use them without the longer studs.
Tuesday, February 01, 2005 9:13 PM
Jbodyho!

what size slicks are them on your car?!?!?

most likely I'll end up getting the same wheels you have, but was looking at the M&H 25x9.5x13" tires, cuz I like the way your car leaves the line, a bit longer roll out than mine so you can actually leave right on the 3rd light. and the 25" tires area bit taller than I have now
Wednesday, February 02, 2005 5:50 AM
They are 24 X 8 X 13 Hoosiers, but if I had to do it again, I'd buy 24 x 9 x 13 Hoosiers.

A 9" tire will peek out from the fenders a bit, but the weld race lites have the correct back spacing so the tire won't come too close to the struts.

On N/A runs I hit the trap in the top of 3rd, say 7,000 RPM with the 24" Hooisers, but that's with a regular HO trans 3.6 ring and pinion.

If you have a W-41 3.94 ring and pinion, a 24.5 - 25" might be better suited, especially for launch to get the car out to the 60' clocks before the 1-2 gear change, and also not having to shift into 4th right before the stripe when running N/A.

On nitrous I'm into 4th easily by 1000'. That's shifting @ 7,100 with stock HO cams.

IMHO...Go with a 9" tire for sure, and pick the diameter based on you final drive ratio.

I'd say no more than 24" for a stock HO trans and at least 24.5" - 25" tire for a W-41 trans.

Karo, any opinions on my input to KQ4? I think you run a W-41 trans...
Thursday, February 03, 2005 5:00 AM
So jbodyho and KillerQuad, you guys are running slicks on a stock HO tranny. I know this.
But does the tranny have a LSD, or are you guys running like Phantom, or something like that, now running stock axles as well?? Right.
I mean how is all this holding up? Any problems yet? What tranny number are you guys on?
If I get a Quaife LSD in my Getrag, you guys think the axles will hold up, cause I was once told the one wheel pill breaks the diff., and the wheelhop breaks the axles. True?

Any other input will be appreciated, also anyone else that you guys know of sell LSD for a new Getrag, I am sure not, but maybe you guys know otherwise.
Thanks.

SunCavi

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Thursday, February 03, 2005 6:58 AM
Karo runs a Quaife and DSS axles

KQ4 runs one of these with stock CV's and has broke a few CV's.

http://www.engineered.net/

I run a Phantom Grip, recently upgraded to an X-Treme version, with Stock CV's and have not broke a CV (yet). When I do I will buy a set of DSS CV's

http://www.phantomgrip.com/

Of the three of us KQ4 puts quite a few more runs on his car, when it's not broke from all that nitrous he runs.

If you hunt, you might find an original w-41 3:94 FDR tranny with a Torsen, which is basically the same thing as a Quaife. Mantapart has a few Torsens laying around, but they are $1,500.

Wheel hop with slicks is pretty much a non issue.

Project S-Bird
Thursday, February 03, 2005 8:44 AM
Ok now I see that this place engineerd sells them for the Isuzu's and the older Getrag.
How bout the newer Getrag??
Well I am going to call them anyways, but what do you mean the wheel hop in not an issue??

Thanks BTW, I hope these guys are not as expensive as Quaife, and also I was wondering weather they just redo a stock Diff. or the make them and the gears out of hardened metal.

SunCavi

Thursday, February 03, 2005 3:59 PM
Ok one corection I have never broke a CV axle in 2500+ 1/4 mile passes!!
3 or 4 trannys but no axles.

SunCavi if your running either a tall tire or a drag tire with soft side walls an low pressure the tire will flex and tends to either hook or spin a bit. The higher pressure and stiff side walls of street tires the tire will try to spin but will get bite and actually bounce the tire cuz of its hardness. and destroys axles.

Ya call engineerd they can build ya one but you may have to send them a diff to do if they dont have one there. They have fair prices.

I have not ran slicks yet, just drag radials. But I have faith in the stock axles just a bit worried about the trans since I do run the car every week in the summer(when funds are there an car is running)

91 GA 12.080@113.99 best 1/4 mile E.T.
www.killerquad4.com
jake@killerquad4.com
Looking for Sponsor
Friday, February 04, 2005 4:23 AM
Hey guys thanks for the info, I called the place and he said that they do the stock diffs and don't reinforce them with better gears.
He said that only thing he can promise me is the 2 wheel bite, but cannot promise that it won't break on slicks.
If it does I simply have to buy another one.
The guys overthere were way better in service then when I called Quaife the other day, but Quaife is what I need. Peace of mind, and strength.

Again, what is this thing wheelhop is NOT an issue?? Can someone explain, and Jake or HO, what slick size and rim size do you think I should run so that it doesn't acctually change my gearing.
Well if anything instead the 3.94 it would be nice to have like 4.10 or so
But I would have to get a small rim and thin tire, no??
What size would that be maybe 24 x 6 or a 7 x 13?? To bump up the final?

Thanks guys

SunCavi

Friday, February 04, 2005 5:24 AM
My comment of "wheel hop is not an issue" with slicks. I should have said wheel hop doesn't happen with slicks at the power we make. Suffice to say they either spin or hook, and usually they hook..

As for what size slick you should run. That depends on the stock tire size, current final ratio, what the car weighs, how much horspower you are making, and what's been done to the suspension.

I don't necessarily agree you need to run a smaller diameter tire or lower the final drive ratio. What gear and RPM at the finish line will help make that decision. Also how far the car goes before the 1-2 shift at launch is important as well.
Friday, February 04, 2005 8:34 AM
Well right now I am having a hard time finding a place that will instal the Quaife for me.

SunCavi

Friday, February 04, 2005 7:05 PM
Hey guys one more thing I wanted to ask you is what kinda of struts are you running well Killer4 and HO, from sway bars to struts, and adjustments on them and why??

Thanks,

SunCavi

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 3:45 PM
I run 24.5x8x15 MT slicks on some 15x8 bogart wheels on the sunfire.

When I run NA I trap about 100-103 MPH and I have to go into 4th gear if the whole run goes well for me...

When I run with the 75 shot I am WELL into 4th gear by about the 1/8th mile if not a little sooner if the run goes well for me...

On the 75 shot Ive trapped as high as 114 MPH

As for the gears in my tranny all stock have not changed anything. I do have the quaife along with DSS axles on the car.

As for wheel hop... well... suspension is the key.... along with a few other things.... I tend to have almost 0 wheel hop now a days... hopefully with a few more mods soon to come if money allows me too.. I will never have to worry about problems like that.....

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:04 PM
What was breaking on your trannies, Jake?

O noes!
Saturday, February 19, 2005 11:34 AM
I think it was his diff... but I could be wrong . . . .

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search