Drag Racing newbie - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drag Racing newbie
Monday, March 14, 2005 5:56 PM
I have a few questions
I have no tach in my car but i have a 5spd I need to know what to shift at, I shift at
1st-30
2nd-52
3rd-80
4th all the way

I have a Intake/Exhaust, I can chrip 2nd pretty well, my throttle is kinda sticky rpm's dont go down fast figures it helps me race. Any ideas what I'll be running at the track?

Also Im getting 17's on my car not sure what they are, i was told they are lighter than steelies...
Will 17's slow me down if they are lighter or only if they are heavier?

Re: Drag Racing newbie
Monday, March 14, 2005 7:07 PM
I dont know bout the shift points but about the rims, Yes larger rim sizes will have an adverse affect on your e/t even if they're lighter. It's because they still have an increase in rotating mass bigger rims=more power to turn them of course getting lighter ones help out some. If I was going to drag race I would get some 15's or so. With your car I would expect mid to high 16's For comparison you can check my slips they're in the 1/8th though sry.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, March 14, 2005 8:32 PM
you will be able to go through the finish line in 3rd i just barely need 4th in my 2.4

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:30 AM
how big of a difference will the 17s be to the 15 inch stock steelies in a 1/4 mile time ?

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:43 AM
i run 15.7 with my 17's and 15.3 with 15's.............

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:27 PM
Probably 3 tenths of a second on average. I dont have any proof though all my times were run with 17's.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:57 PM
you will also notice traction issues with a 17" low pro tire vs a 15" normal tire. (this is saying that the tires are of equal quality, an el cheapo isnt going to grip anywhere lol)

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 6:48 PM
Why would i have traction issues with $103 dollar tyres vs my $43 dollar tyres on my 15's? Tyres are so confusing

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 11:55 PM
Those seem like reasonable shift points, that's right around where I shift with my 2.4, but then again I'm paying more attention to the tach, because the AEM short ram changes the power band shape a bit in the high end... Weird to think 1st goes to 30?! I always thought it was smaller. I know my 2nd gear hits 55 where the dashed red meets the solid red, but I haven't gone above that (I mean where the shift up light comes back on.) Definitely don't bother with 5th gear, I can hit 107 (on a..... very long track let's say....) and then the gov. shuts off the fuel, then i just slap it back into 4th around 103mph and head back up to 107.
No point in fighting the governor...
Thursday, March 17, 2005 12:02 PM
why? becuase you're 103 dollar tires are low profile and will act as basket balls (wheel hop). a tire that has more sidewall can grip and pull better as well as absorb wheel hop instead of trying to break the car in half.

run around 26psi in the tires to start, do a short spin not enought so smoke them just to get the gravel and @!#$ off, and play around from there... and without a tach youre really just guessing, it can be done but you have to listen to the engine and concentrate. The engine alone will tell you when it wants to be shifted.

Start New Topic Advanced Search