looking for a road racing venue - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
looking for a road racing venue
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 12:30 PM
I was wondering if there are any road racing events where Cavaliers are classed with similar cars? I've been looking for a grass roots type of venue so that I can start racing again, without spending my entire life savings and selling my house. I know there are events for Miatas, and there's the Honda Challenge, there was ACR for Neons, that sort of thing. Anything out there for our cars? I love performance, but fact is, I'm not a mechanic. I'm a driver. My friends want a way to turn wrenches and make something to race, and I want a way to go racing and not get arrested. Any ideas?

Re: looking for a road racing venue
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:57 PM
Your not going to find a good venue for a cavalier. Spec Miata is where its at. Besides, if you race your cavalier your going to brake a lot of parts, which would require some significant wrench turning.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 4:08 PM
Yeah, there's a place in Des Moines that builds Miatas, races them in spec events, then sells them after so long, and you can buy one for pretty cheap considering the work done to them, but I'm 6'3" and me in a Miata is like monkey humpin' a football. Plus those cars are rode hard and hung up wet. Not sure I'd want to go that route. I did some searching and there was a site I found where some people were trying to get a grass roots series for Cavaliers, Neons, Civics, and the like, but it was an old thread and I don't think it ever got off the ground. I'd love to go back into racing with my 180 Sylvia, but it's getting expensive to maintain. SR20s aint cheap to fix these days.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 5:07 AM
If you are still hell bent on professionaly road racing your cavalier:
SCCA Club Racing

Look at improved touring or showroom stock classes. Essentially, your car wouldn't be competitive so I would just look to just learn as much as possible. Attend a few driving schools (I think you have to go to 2 in order to get your license). The advantage of a spec series is that its easier to compare yourself against other drivers to see areas of your driving that may need improvement.

I think either way you are going to spend as much money getting your cavalier prepared and maintained as you would a spec miata.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:13 AM
Yeah, if you really want to go road racing you're much better off buying a fully prepped car that has already been run by someone else. You can pick up a used race car for way less than it would cost you to bring your street car up to spec (cage, seat, fire system, etc...)

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:53 AM
Toj Martin wrote:grass roots series for Cavaliers, Neons, Civics, and the like, but it was an old thread and I don't think it ever got off the ground.

Closest thing you'll find to that tune is Improved touring.

-Chris

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:07 AM
When you refer to Improved Touring, are you talking about autocross? I'm open to try it but it wasn't what I had in mind. Maybe it's time to cough up some more cash buy another engine and get my Nissan on the track again.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:14 AM
I've heard several road racers say that autocrossers make good road racers. If you don't have any experience with this form of racing, I HIGHLY reccomend that you do some Solo2 autocrossing. Its cheap and you can use your cavalier without having to make any modifications.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 12:07 PM
I've never done Solo, but I did some rally before I moved to the US. I like rally, it's more my style, but in the States it's not that popular, atleast not in Iowa. Not to mention I don't have an AWD car, and there's no way my Nissan will ever see gravel. But like I said, I'm open to try autocross, especially if it will improve my skills.
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:33 PM
SCCA also has a series called rally cross. Its sort of a mix between a rally and an autocross. It is most popular there in the midwest, so look into that as well.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:49 PM
There is a 2.23 mile road course in Pacific Junction, Iowa not too far south of CB.

Its called MidAmerica Motorplex.

The Nebraska Region SCCA has several club racing events there every year.

Website for the track:

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/

Also if you are interesed in autocross (also called Solo II) or rally cross check out the link in my sig to the Nebraska Region SCCA.

On the website there is a link to the NRSCCA forums where you can talk to people who are involved in the sport locally.

||Click to visit my Cardomain page|Omaha Racing|Nebraska Region SCCA||

Thursday, December 29, 2005 8:40 AM
Improved Touring thats the improved touring website

however the least inexpensive would be Solo2. It's more of a rally format with single cars running thru a technical course for the best times.

If you wanna get sideways rallycross is the rally equivelant of Solo2.

-Chris

Saturday, January 21, 2006 6:52 AM
speaking of solo events, i really really really want to try an up hill event. or if you guys know of any solo II going on right now near wisconsin that would be cool.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search