Rev match downshifting - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rev match downshifting
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:07 PM
I have never heard of any other car in my town doing this. When I downshift to pass somebody I blip the throttle and go down a gear or two. It enables me to have a smoother ride instead of jerking around everybody. Is this good or bad cuz i wanna start doing auto x and drag sometime in the near future and im wondering if it will cause me to have a slower e.t. let me know guys thnx for the help

Re: Rev match downshifting
Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:28 AM
rev match downshifting is good because it lessens the time needed for the flywheel and clutch speeds to match, therefore reducing slippage time and saving wear & tear on the clutch and flywheel surfaces.

you won't hurt anything rev matching, in fact, its the best way to downshift. it should come in handy when auto X but for drag racing since you're always upshifting, revmatch downshifting is useless

however doing it on the street won't hurt your car or make it any slower in the 1/4.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:06 AM
Matching revs is the proper way to downshift. It's how everyone should do it. Those who don't, simply don't know how to drive properly.

As mentioned, you don't downshift when drag racing. In racing, you only downshift when you need to slow down for some reason. You're always accelerating in a drag race.

For autox, you'd need to do this in order to power out of corners and stuff. You can't just let the wheels spin the engine up for the next gear or you'll upset the balance of the car so badly you'll end up spinning off. And, obviously, you can't just do the whole autox course in 3rd.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:21 AM
Yeah i know u are always accelerating in drag racing. I don't know why i put that. Everybody that i know who drives a stick doesn't rev match when downshifting and i am the first to tell them to do that. My friend drove my car and i guess he knows about rev matching cuz he did it in my car eventhough he drives a auto civic. thnx for the info.
Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:38 AM
How do they pass people on the highway then? Do they downshift... slam into the flywheel with the clutch to spin up the engine, slowing down by 10 mph or so through engine braking, and then mash the accelerator to try and get by the person you were intending to pass but who is now a quarter mile ahead of you??

Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:44 AM
Yeah basically. I am going to college here and studying to become an auto tech and i asked my instructor about it and he said there wasnt a need for it and said the clutch was strong enough to go through all that. I was like uh..yeah right.
Thursday, November 30, 2006 10:46 AM
It's completely unnecessary wear on the clutch and giving your passengers whiplash every time you downshift is kinda dumb, isn't it?

Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:02 AM
yeah very dumb but i hate it when i don't rev match high enough and whiplash anyway
Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:13 AM
Better to go a little too high than not high enough. It's much easier for the revs to come down a bit than to be forced up a bit.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:17 PM
this is how you downshift like a PRO ......kinda hard....lol

CaviFL45

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:37 PM
damn lol^^

"Boost tuning"....... have you had your 8 PSI today?

future name of the winter shop!!!

Friday, December 01, 2006 6:59 PM
ouch ive heard of that toe heel down shift i have tried it before didnt work to well though
Friday, December 01, 2006 9:37 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:Better to go a little too high than not high enough. It's much easier for the revs to come down a bit than to be forced up a bit.

Assuming you are talking about rev matching while down shifting to come to a stop...

I agree and disagree here. Yes, the RPM's will match quicker, but not very smoothly at all. Even if you are just a couple hundred RPM too high it will jerk everyone in the car pretty bad.

"The Blue Bullet"
Sunday, December 03, 2006 3:33 PM
southpaw wrote:ouch ive heard of that toe heel down shift i have tried it before didnt work to well though

Not too easy to do on a J. The accelerator pedal sits a lot lower than the brake pedal.

Thursday, December 07, 2006 7:59 AM
yea Ive basically nailed rev matching because the only drop I do for power is 5th to 3rd sometimes 5th to 4th just for a nice pick me up or quick pass but downshifting to slow down I dont rev match I just slip into gear real nice and easy. Once your learn where your power band is and where rpms=mph in your car then you can rev match and always nail it I have gotten to the point where I know how many taps of the accelerator I need to give for each rpm i drop at to rev match perfectly lol. Oem clutch and still going strong

Monday, December 11, 2006 12:22 PM
hrmmm......so yur not using the clutch....right?....how hard is this to do....when the rev is say 3grand and yur in forth...u can drop to 3rd without clutch?

Explain? im not sure if im getting it...i take this is the same thing as we call power shifting?
Monday, December 11, 2006 7:49 PM
no rev matching is when your in say 5th grand at about 2500 rpms you hold down the clutch put it into 3rd and be4 letting going of the clutch rev ur rpms up to what ever you predict the drop usually lands at, rev to that and then let up off the clutch.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 1:40 PM
huh...the point of it...im alil lost?
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 3:22 PM
so that the engine is still moving at the same speed when you go into the next gear. If you dont rev-match the rpms drop to idle btwn shifts, then you drop the clutch and once it catches it'll slip a lil then jump up in rms, giving everyone whiplash and also slowing you down before actually speeding up
plus its much much smoother

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:08 AM
best way to practice this is downshifting thru the gears at every light. Practice doing it while braking... (heal n toe)

Once you can go to 1st from 4th, while braking full force....then you might be able to drive properly

Thursday, December 14, 2006 6:00 PM
Explain Heal Toe? Im not a bad driver, i can gear down an up fast while breaking whatever the case may be? Not 100% sure on heal toe? Explain. Thank you

Friday, December 15, 2006 8:22 AM
I'm just going to make a video showing a shot of my feet and explain how to drive stick.. it'll be the end all to these posts.. I'll go thru everything from normal driving and learning to drive stick the first time into rev matching, clutch kicking, speed shifting and hell-toe

Heel-toe downshifting

check it

Friday, December 15, 2006 8:48 PM
look at the vid I posted......is a good example of heel-toe downshifting clicky

CaviFL45

Saturday, December 16, 2006 6:57 AM
this way 18 wheeler is driven 2
Sunday, February 11, 2007 4:59 PM
I was taught to rev match while downshifting when I first learned to drive. I assumed that everyone did this. However the heel toe shift if almost impossible in my cav since the pedals are not at the same levels. Has anyone done a pedal mod on the j body to make it more suiutable for heel toe downshifting?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search