First Night At The Races.... Need Some Help - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
First Night At The Races.... Need Some Help
Saturday, May 05, 2007 6:38 PM
hey guys, i have a 1998 chevy cavalier with a 2.2l non ecotec, 5speed, stock car

last night was my first race and i made it about 4 laps and the clutch started slipping really bad. so bad indeed that i had trouble getting up onto the trailer to go home. but this morning i unloaded the car and took it up my road to test drive it. i couldnt get it to slip atall. it ran awesome. i can rev it up and burnout without any problems. my buddy thinks maybe the hydraulic clutch fluid is boiling and causing a pressure buildup in the line. when i bought the car this year the guy said it had a new clutch in it. im stumped someone got any ideas?

"Go Fast, Turn Left, Don't Wreck!"
#3 1998 Dirt Track Mini-stock Cavalier
6Point Cage, Butler Aluminum Seat, Shaved Head, and much more.

Re: First Night At The Races.... Need Some Help
Saturday, May 05, 2007 9:30 PM
clutc over heated?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:43 PM
yes, it *deffinately* soudns liek you got that baby hot! i did that once with my old original clutch Got so hot i couldn't pull up this littl ehill. had to park it for liek an hour, then it had cooled down enough that is was just fine, like you're saying.

14.84 @ 92.04mph

Outdated sig pic FTW!

Sunday, May 06, 2007 8:20 AM
At first i was like.... Put it on the trailer??? And then i saw your sig lol.... Which also helped me to see what your problem is. I very, very highly doubt that a stock J-body clutch is in any way able to handle the rigors of dirt track or any kind of continuous racing like that... I mean, I've seen my buddies 2004 eco's clutch hold up to a 75 shot of nitrous, probably almost 100 track days, and now is still holding 18+ pounds of turbocharged boost, but thats drag racing with long cool downs between.

If the fluid was boiling, enough to actually extend the slave cylinder piston to make the clutch slip, its very unlikely that this could happen without blowing a seal and leaking everywhere. Still, not impossible. Its also possible you glazed the clutch and slipping it so much at lower rpm to get it on the trailer might have cleared off the majority of the glaze. Either way, my advice is get the best clutch upgrade you can (within class rules) and get a racing -oriented clutch fluid. These fluids have a higher boiling point because of the excess heat built up in continuous racing like what you're doing.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search