Can I beat the Cobalt SS/SC with the following? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can I beat the Cobalt SS/SC with the following?
Friday, December 14, 2007 5:05 PM
This is with an 03 Cavy base model 5-speed and the following stuff:
-GMPP supercharger kit
-GM reflash

That's about it. I have been told the Cobalt's will run 14.40'ish. I want to either run with them or outrun them. I just can't see why I wouldn't be able to. I mean, i'd be about 200 pounds lighter, i'd be making roughly the same power numbers, and i'd have very good gearing with the Cavy's 5-speed transmission. Heck, I could easily install the LS-sport body package for looks, but with the cost of a few extra pounds added to the Cavy.

What am I missing here?

Re: Can I beat the Cobalt SS/SC with the following?
Friday, December 14, 2007 6:12 PM
this belongs in the racing forum.

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:47 PM
The power numbers are different. Most SS/RL dyno no less than 210WHP. I'm not sure what the average M62 2.2 ECO dynos basically stock, but I'd estimate in the 185-190HP area.

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:51 PM
What is an "SS/RL?" Are you refering to the SS Cobalt?
Friday, December 14, 2007 6:53 PM
Yes and the ION Redline.

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:53 PM
ss..or redline...
Friday, December 14, 2007 6:55 PM
But i thought the SS and the RL only produce 205 crank hp.

I guess that GM bent the truth a bit just as they have always been famous for in the past. lol
Friday, December 14, 2007 7:01 PM
Bob Retard wrote:But i thought the SS and the RL only produce 205 crank hp.

I guess that GM bent the truth a bit just as they have always been famous for in the past. lol

That's what GM claimed, but no one has dynoed one less than 205whp stock.

Friday, December 14, 2007 7:27 PM
By your knowledge, what would you say is the difference in typical boost levels achieved between the SS/RL and perhaps the 2.2 eco GMPP S/C?
Friday, December 14, 2007 9:45 PM
ss/rl is usually in the area of 12psi stock

GMPP s/c on a 2.2 eco is roughly 9psi

i'd give it to the base model GMPP s/c cav.. especially a base model.

I can beat 14.40s all motor.. you can def do it with a s/c

Friday, December 14, 2007 10:00 PM
If you intercool, then I'd say yeah.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 10:52 AM
Wait a minute, when did we rename this the "Bench-Racing" forum? Go out to the track and get some runs in. Then you'll know.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:59 PM
I don't think you'll lose to an SS or Redline when the supercharger kit is installed on your car, especially with a base model, I beat them all day long with the stock pulley and no intercooler, as for dyno numbers I dynoed at 225whp with the stock pulley ,but I had the intercooler and catback on at the time of the dyno.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:03 PM
A stock LSJ shouldnt be able to hang with any Gm supercharged 02-05 Jbody 5 speed on paper, in reality its a drivers race, ive seen stock LSJs pull anywhere from 14.1 to mid 15s and same deal on the gm charged jbodies

Boost levels are not really relevant, they use the same size pulley on the blower so its spinning at the same speed, the engines are different displacement resulting in the difference in cylinder head pressure, the volume produced by the supercharger is the same

As far as modding, a SS or redline with some bolt ons will be very difficult to beat even with a heat exchanger, smaller pulley, intake, exhaust etc on a Jbody, reason being is the sloppy GM tune that comes with the kit and the fact that you cant tune it with HP tuners like you can perfectly with the LSJ

Overall I'd say the LSJs are marginally better in durability under boost and efficiency but thats negated by the fact the car itself is heavier

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:16 PM
I thought you CAN use HPT to tune with the S/C as long as you don't get the reflash and go the fmu route?

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Friday, December 21, 2007 8:53 AM
^^^ yea but who wants to use an fmu

Friday, December 21, 2007 4:42 PM
Nothing wrong with an FMU

Friday, February 15, 2008 11:02 AM
A GOOD driver can get a stock SS to hit a 14.0-14.2... my boyfriend got a 14.2 in his and is still in the top 10 for best stock times on SS.net ...but the average does seem to be around 14.4+

Also the SSs are dynoed at the wheels form what I've heard.They are under-rated as well. Most stock SSs will dyno between 205-220 at the wheels. My friends dynoed at 220 at the wheels completely stock. We never got a chance to dyno ours. It had a 2.7 pulley and lucas injectors before it hit 4k miles.

I would imagine it to be a close race, really dependent on driver. The SSs even stock are really tough to put the power to the ground (I haven't driven a S/Cd Cavy so I cant compare) although my turbo ed 2200 tries to spin through 3rd in snow tires so I would imagine it would be a very close race.

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:31 PM
Jazer {AzulKav} Turbo Chica wrote:A GOOD driver can get a stock SS to hit a 14.0-14.2... my boyfriend got a 14.2 in his and is still in the top 10 for best stock times on SS.net ...but the average does seem to be around 14.4+

Also the SSs are dynoed at the wheels form what I've heard.They are under-rated as well. Most stock SSs will dyno between 205-220 at the wheels. My friends dynoed at 220 at the wheels completely stock. We never got a chance to dyno ours. It had a 2.7 pulley and lucas injectors before it hit 4k miles.

I would imagine it to be a close race, really dependent on driver. The SSs even stock are really tough to put the power to the ground (I haven't driven a S/Cd Cavy so I cant compare) although my turbo ed 2200 tries to spin through 3rd in snow tires so I would imagine it would be a very close race.

I've seen over 25 Cobalt SS runs at the track, never saw even a modded one put down anything below a 14.7. This is over a 2 year time span, during which I was running 15.1s in a N/A cav. So yes you should have no problem beating one assuming you have the slightest bit of driving ability.

Not that it matters but I saw a Cobalt SS S/C w/ Catback put down 200whp on a dyno jet in Cleveland in the dead of winter. Best out of 3 runs. My cav that same night put down 137.

I don't know if it is the driver or the car but from what I've seen most SSs cant pull below a 2.3 out of the box and I think some of it has to do with the huge honkin rims that comes on them.

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Downpipe w/ Cutout | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Friday, February 15, 2008 5:18 PM
thats surprising..... major elevation difference maybe? cobaltSS.net has a list of the top 10 track numbers for stock and modfied for the differen cobalts and they are all 14.4s and lower for the stock top 10... last time i checked.

cause my stock 2200, i could pull 2.1 and 2.2 launches all day long and our SS is good for 2.1s.

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:35 PM
I like the S/C 'Balts but a 2.1 is not impressive,look at my sig. If I can pull a 2.1 60' in a 3200lb VERT. and a S/C Cobalt can't do better then something's wrong.

Friday, February 15, 2008 11:15 PM
A lot of it is putting it to the ground - we cant go full throttle in ours until 3rd gear or it spins right through.. and on a cold day when the track isnt sticky it will spin right through 3rd as well.

I got better launches MUCH easier in my 2200 (when it was stock) because i barely had to hold it back. if i dropped the clutch it would get wheel hop but for the most part it could get most of the power down easier.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:09 AM
from 3,000 my eco spins for about 2 tire revolutions, then grabs and i ride 6 grand till 32 mph chirp second at 45 mph then chirp third at 60 and hit fourth just before the 1/4 mark

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:08 PM
I ran 14.5 at 99.7 at cecil county and thats being very conservative off the line because im worried about the axles (2.4 sec 60s)

only things I have AEM dry flow filter on the stock airbox mod, and hp tuners, thats it, if I launched it for real I have no doubt it would be 14.0 - 14.2 the mph alone is enough to see that

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:51 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:I ran 14.5 at 99.7 at cecil county and thats being very conservative off the line because im worried about the axles (2.4 sec 60s)

only things I have AEM dry flow filter on the stock airbox mod, and hp tuners, thats it, if I launched it for real I have no doubt it would be 14.0 - 14.2 the mph alone is enough to see that

Wait a minute.... I want to see that on video.... if thats true... something strange is going on.... The time in my sig was the best I could get before I put my cams in. (Just an intake and full exaust) and most people consider that time damn good.

Quote:

although my turbo ed 2200 tries to spin through 3rd in snow tires so I would imagine it would be a very close race.

What does that car run anyway..... are you saying it likes to spin the tires in the snow... or on dry pavement with snow tires on the car..

I've never actually raced a Cobalt SS but I was messing around with a guy driving one through town once... and from a rolling start... he could not pass me withing a blocks length... I'm sure they're quick... but it shouldn't take much modding to beat one from what I've seen.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search