What are secret cams usually good for in the 1/4 mile??? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What are secret cams usually good for in the 1/4 mile???
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 4:57 AM
Has anyone ever ran thier car at the strip before and after they installed thier "secret" cams? ... I'm wondering how much if any they lowered you times by.....

I'll be installing my cams in my car in a few weeks... and since I won't be able to go to the strip for awhile... I'm wondering what kind of difference they really make.... and I don't ever trust my butt dyno.... thanx guys....

ohh.. and sorry if this question has been asked 100 times before.... I don't ever remember anyone actually testing before and after and posting the difference...

Re: What are secret cams usually good for in the 1/4 mile???
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:09 AM
[x] subscribed!

1997 RedR - ZedR
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:18 AM
[x] subscribed! Whitegoose( RedR-ZedR)
[x] Subscribed! Dayton86 2.4_LS_4Door

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 7:54 AM
I have ran at the track before and after them. No gains on the track was made. I know people will say track conditions, driving etc... I can drive my car at the track within a couple hundreths of each pass. I truly think actually tuning is needed with them, not just bolting them on. YOu are correct butt dyno's suck. WE have not real proff they truly make more power. It does seem they change the power band some, which then requires different driving to take advantage of that change.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:50 AM
i would actually like to see some dyno numbers of these cams.
but like John Higgins said, some tuning would probaly help most with these

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, January 12, 2008 6:42 AM
Ok I did some digging around my place. I'm going to be posting up some dyno charts. I realize these are not great examples because they are not close together, and 1 is on a different car, but I think it will show a little. I have 4 dyno graphs for 2 of my Z24's (1 was a 97 Z24), and the others are for my 01 Z24. My 97 Z24 had a custom made intake, same 57mm TB I currently have, 2.25 inch exhaust (stock manifold), self port work on the intake manifold, a TPS TEC, and upper insert, 2.3 underdrive pulley. It ran a best of 15.4.
Here is the graph for it:

Sorry for the color, but that was the color of paper it was printed on.
Next is a graph for my 01 Z24. It had AEM intake, 57mm, 2.3 underdrive pulley, 2.25 inch cat-back exhaust, upper insert, and lower motor mount, RKSport spark plug boots and springs.
Here is the graph:

I know the numbers are different, but the curves are the same.
Next is also from my 01 Z24 but at this point had added secret cams, Pacesetter header, 2.50 inch full exhaust no cat.
here it is:

As you can see about a 6whp gain in those mods. YOu can see a slight change in the curve, but not much.
Lastly is also from my 01 Z24 earlier this year. Main change was Stage 2 clutch, and Fidanza flywheel, and tranny mounts.
Here it is:

As you can see about another 6whp gain. Still on these runs with air/fuel readings (tail pipe sniffers) car was running rich. With a wideband hooked up it was running 11.4's AFR. I have since leaned it out to 12.7's, but still plan to go to 13.0. Car runs very strong now!!! Back to the reason of my post you can see changes in the power band, but the biggest change seemed to be on the last graph (to me) which was not the cams, but I do feel the tuning will change it more. Hopefully we will see soon. I need to get to the dyno again.

FU Tuning

Saturday, January 12, 2008 8:06 AM
sweet post man great info to be seen

my dyno sheet is coming in the mail. i dyno'd somewhere around 143 whp and 145 whp with a aem intake, dc sport header,and magnaflow dual exit cat back . no other mods yet. i also have light weight pulleys. secret cams, a port and polished head,3 angle valve job, with 1mm oversized valves,bronxe valve guides, ho valve springs, rsm 62 mm tb,ttr upper motor mount, stage 2+ clutch and lightweight flywheel, prothane transmission mounts,10:1 compression .20 over ,eagle rods, and clevitte bearings, so the next dyno with a lil bit of tuning done should be real nice. once i am done with all the motor work and a tune i will post up both dyno sheets. won t be for a lil while but it will be up

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:37 AM
well 6hp is 6hp........

there is a bit of other work that needs done to the car after the cams are in,....... but once all that is done...... I do plan on tuning it..

I'm basically hoping that since i'm running a 15.2 now that the cams alone will be good for a 15 flat..... but the car will have some other stuff done to it by the time I can hit up the strip soo I won't know for sure.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:40 AM
ya im hoping to pick up an exhaust cam. i dont really care about the intake cam as it isnt a big change over whats in there now. im hoping that i net some better times at the track this year. now that i have the exhaust on, the car shouldnt fall on its face so much in the upper rpm towards the end of the track.

at least with the cams i'll be able to do my water pump at the same time as i dont think it has ever been changed (220 000 km).

i cant wait for the tracks to re-open!

1997 RedR - ZedR
Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:11 AM
I made 144 whp with HO mani, stock TB, SPEC stage 2 clutch + SPEC flywheel, pacesetter header, 2.25 inch exhaust, custom short ram intake, lower engine mount. My best 1/4 mile time with the above is 15.9xx, so not a good comparison but I figure that was due to a faulty flywheel. I couldn't run more then 4 or 5 times before it started to feel funny, so I never was able to dial it in.

Have since changed or will be put on shortly:
- SPEC flywheel (destroyed itself on regular street driving, now have stock flywheel)
+ 2.2 coil conversion with all MSD stuff
+ HO T/B taken to 60mm by SMG
+ MD-LD9 light weight crank and alt pulleys
+ secret cams
+ trans mounts
+ Upper engine mount insert

I am hopping for around 150 whp but I know the change to stock flywheel is going to hurt that goal. HPT with a wideband will be coming in summer.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:26 PM
i made the same numbers as john on my 97z (154whp and 149wtq)...

mods were:
2.3 crank pulley (lil smaller then 2.4)
rc engineering 270cc fuel injectors
rk 4-1 header, 2.5" downpipe, HFC, 2.25" catback w/ magnaflow muffler (all mandrel)
homemade WAI w/ k&n cone filter
90-94 LO exhaust cam-brand new w/ brand new lifters (half of the secret cam swap, the stock intake remained)
centerforce dual friction clutch
mark pain tranny mounts
rk upper and lower mounts
head was shaved .002
karo's stock sized SS valves

i believe that was all, no tuning whatsoever.

my best 1/4 time was a 15.4

Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:53 PM
Well... the cams are in.... I can tell a difference for sure.... but I won't know for sure what they do until summer.....

god that was a lot of work......

Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:23 AM
Cool ya got them in.... it is a little work. Let us know how ya like it man.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 10:05 AM
Weebel wrote:Well... the cams are in.... I can tell a difference for sure.... but I won't know for sure what they do until summer.....

god that was a lot of work......

hahah true man, next time its concentrate on one car at a time, and keep tools together so we are not searchin for the socket every minute haha.

how are u liking them? tell me about it

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:17 AM
^^^^^^^

except for the paranoia of something going wrong since the car was torn apart.......

I like the difference a lot.... I havn't really been able to find a dry enough patch of road... so my tires start spinning in even 3rd gear.... but the few times I git a dry spot.... I could tell there is a noticable difference.... although I'm not claiming anything huge.... the car revs a bit quicker now though and I like that....

I've noticed the the exaust note seems lower pitched and quiter now and that the revs rise and drop a little faster...... am I on crack or can the cams do that?

The intake whistles more though.... it almost sounds like I have some form of muffled down forced induction on the car... which is getting me strange looks from people leaving stop lights .... it's actually funny..... there is something about my Injen Intake that resonates the sound of the air wistling over the butterfly at low throttle... I don't know why it does it... but it sounds cool..

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:28 AM
Cool man, glad to see ya like it.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:06 PM
Weebel wrote:^^^^^^^

except for the paranoia of something going wrong since the car was torn apart.......

I like the difference a lot.... I havn't really been able to find a dry enough patch of road... so my tires start spinning in even 3rd gear.... but the few times I git a dry spot.... I could tell there is a noticable difference.... although I'm not claiming anything huge.... the car revs a bit quicker now though and I like that....

I've noticed the the exaust note seems lower pitched and quiter now and that the revs rise and drop a little faster...... am I on crack or can the cams do that?

The intake whistles more though.... it almost sounds like I have some form of muffled down forced induction on the car... which is getting me strange looks from people leaving stop lights .... it's actually funny..... there is something about my Injen Intake that resonates the sound of the air wistling over the butterfly at low throttle... I don't know why it does it... but it sounds cool..

nice glad u like them, and ya my intake does the whistle too, everyone that rides in my car is like wtf did u finally put the turbo on... lol
and yes cams can change the sound or ur motor and exhaust, i just cant wait till i put my HO cams in mmmmm haha

Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:51 AM
and i just cant wait until i can afford to fix my car and drive it again..... hopfully i get it fixed by the time the tracks open

Sunday, January 27, 2008 1:49 PM
Weebel wrote:and i just cant wait until i can afford to fix my car and drive it again..... hopfully i get it fixed by the time the tracks open

hahahah that post makes it seem like something went wrong with the cam install haha. just need that new shift cable and coils haha

Saturday, February 02, 2008 8:30 AM
This reminds me of when i did my secret cam swap. As soon as we were done, we took the car out with no hood 2 do a test run, and i passed a sheriff doin about 89 in a 45 cuz i was just about to shift into fourth. I didnt even hesitate to shift and keep on gettin it, the sheriff would have had to make a u turn to get me anyway, and i took the back way home. LOL. Good times.
Saturday, February 02, 2008 9:31 AM
Ya.... for some reason I realized that sounded that way AFTER I posted....... but the new cables are in and all is good for the moment..... still running the same coils though...

Hey Brondon... I did something like that last night....

I was leaving town to check the car out (wondering if the coils are going to mess up again)..... and I punched my car through 2nd gear (in a 30mph zone at 1am)...... wich means I went from around 20mph to about 50 mph in like 3 seconds while making a bunch of noise.... I let off right away and slowed back down on my way out of town...... I look in my rear view mirror once I'm outside of town and see headlights coming up behind me like I'm sitting still...... It was a freaking town cop that must have been sitting by Autozone on the edge of town that heard my car and thought I was hauling ass......

He never clocked me and when he got behind me at a stop sign in the country I turned right and he turned left...... but I was freaking out for a minute there..

I really need to learn to stop drawing attention to myself.

Saturday, February 02, 2008 10:33 AM
Yeah man, back when I was running just a glasspack I got attention all the time, but now its all quiet. Good to see you got it running again. Yeah I test drove mine without a hood too. It sure makes for some interesting looks. Best of luck man.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:22 AM
^^^ thanx man..... It did turn out that the coils where bad... but that wasn't anyhting a trip to the salvage yard and $40 didn't fix..... I still have some syncro issues... but I'm still driving it.

I am a little suprsed that I didn't notice a power loss down low in the power band.... it actually has more power throught the entire RPM range (the most being over 3.5 grand) I've heard people say that they notice a power loss down low but I can leave my car in 3rd going around corners (idle dropping to dang near idle) and accelerate out of the turn just fine now that the cams are in and I couldn't do that before

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:30 PM
Weebel wrote:^^^ thanx man..... It did turn out that the coils where bad... but that wasn't anyhting a trip to the salvage yard and $40 didn't fix..... I still have some syncro issues... but I'm still driving it.

I am a little suprsed that I didn't notice a power loss down low in the power band.... it actually has more power throught the entire RPM range (the most being over 3.5 grand) I've heard people say that they notice a power loss down low but I can leave my car in 3rd going around corners (idle dropping to dang near idle) and accelerate out of the turn just fine now that the cams are in and I couldn't do that before

some people and their butt dynoes need to be calibrated lol

its all hearsay, one guy says it then it travels, ive prob said that it may before too lol but ya.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:41 PM
Remember ya'll both run sticks and can have slightly better gear ratios for power, though it isn't a lot it is noticeable. Though it may be more pronounced by my 2.3 LO intake mani that is bolted straight to the mani, no port matching or what not. Anyways glad to see you got it running man.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search