1994 Cavalier Need Help - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1994 Cavalier Need Help
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:58 PM
I am racing a 1/4 mile asphalt track and from everyone I hear, "races are won in the corners". I have the power but I really don't know how to mess with my suspension. Rules are that the car must be completely stock. Both engine and suspension must stay stock with the exception of adding camber to the RF tire. I already have all the camber I need and it is fine. But what are some other good tips on my setup??? Thanks in advance for all answers....

Re: 1994 Cavalier Need Help
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:49 PM
are you winning with your current set up?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:15 AM
best advice i can give you is to diamond the track out so you can keep your speed up, but only do this when your out front or know you have a good lead over the person behind you. but if your looking for suspension setups if you can sneak it give your LF a tad bit of positive camber (helps loosen car up going in and out of corner)
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:02 PM
I have practiced by myself but never raced or practiced with anyone else. All tires must be the same size also...
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:24 PM
a few posts down is some good info on suspension mods(95 pontiac sunfire circle track car) it comes from Jesse Heise. its good that your gettin seat time but you really need to get out and run with a few of the guys, see if there a few that are willing to come out and practice with you. then you can gauge to as what needs to be done whether it be car or driver adjustments. thats my best advice i can give
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:14 PM
Mathew Robbins wrote:I have practiced by myself but never raced or practiced with anyone else. All tires must be the same size also...

well i was gonna say if you are winning/placing in top5 every race then dont change a thing

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:39 PM
I was just looking at a good starting point for my setup... Tire pressures or any other tips
Friday, March 28, 2008 6:05 AM
depending on the tire size, type of tire,compunds, blah blah blah you want to try and bring your car as close to an oversteer condition that you can without going over. play with your tire pressures till you find that sweet spot. also, having a inferred thermometer will help you in setting up tire pressures.

what you want to do is try to get the temperature even across the face of the tire. the thermometer will help you in determining what pressure that is achieved at.

take temps at the inside shoulder, center, and outside shoulder of the tire and record the temps as well as the cold pressure of the tire (before you lap) and not a bad idea to take the hot temp either. the reason i say to record them is so you can go back to what ever setup works best.

stock tire pressures arent exactly set up for optimal handling. for example, i used to run a set of 195/65r15 bridgestone re950's on my 4 door cavalier and found the pressure were best with the front around 31-32 psi and the rears at about 33 or 34. when i had my 205/60R15 RE930i's i ran about the same pressures on them.

with my BFG Comp T/A VR4's on my z24 in 205/55R16's i ran about 31-32 psi all the way around. i found any more than that 1 psi difference and any more than 32 psi and the rear wanted to come around too easily.

i never set up my pressures with a thermometer, but i will be doing that this year. im sure if you look online, you should be able to find some good reading on setting up tire pressures like this.

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 16.3 in 1320 and falling...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search