What is the actual RPM the rev limiter kicks in. - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What is the actual RPM the rev limiter kicks in.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:55 AM
Does anyone (maybe that has HPT) know the exact rpm the rev limiter kicks in on a 97 2.4 5-speed? I'm wanting to know because I think I have my shift lights set to low.

I have progressive shift lights (LED) in the car, and if I shift the second they start to flash.... I drop below 3 grand.... and I want to keep the revs up above that because I don't make crap for power below that now that the cams are in.

I have them set a little low to compensate for reaction time shifting into 2nd (hits redline in first pretty quick)....

I was messing around last night and I didn't shift out of second after the lights started flashing to see how off it was.... and they are set to low...

I'm wondering what the exact rpm is for the rev limiter so I can set the lights accordingly.... since if I shift a split second before the limiter kicks in... it puts me in the exact rpm range I want to be.

Thanks for any help.

Re: What is the actual RPM the rev limiter kicks in.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 7:18 AM

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 7:43 AM
6450, technically, AFAIK.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:39 PM
According to HPT both of my cars are limited to 6540, I have also logged 6540.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:20 PM
The 97 2.4 5 speed file I have has the spark limiter at 6540 and fuel limiter at 6570. My 2001 is different than that.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:48 AM
Thanks guys.... I had the redline set at 6200... I'll move it up a bit.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:29 AM
Just in case you guys are wondering what I'm talking about..... this is what I'm using for shift lights..

It's the silver thing mounted to the steering column. Sorry for the huge freaking pic.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:40 AM
I know you don't have an Eco, but I always thought the Ecos rev limiter was set at 6450. Anytime I take it past about 6100, I feel like I lose power up there anyway.

Fusion 9 Design // For all your web design needs!
Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:20 PM
I was wondering if there was a point where going past a certain rpm is useless or not.... but the car doesn't feel that way..... also.... I removed the damn gtech from the car..... the only thing I use it for is the shift lights anymore and for some reason I can't get it to read the rpm accurately now that I've been messing with it.

I just ordered an adjustable shift light instead..... something that will fit on my steering column without blocking my gauges. Having the lights set at 6300 seemed to be working pretty good.... so I'll start out with that when the new shift light gets here.

I ordered a Glowshift one.... (silver with red light and cover) hopefully it's of decent quality.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:34 PM
Bumper Killer (Ron Carvalho) wrote:I know you don't have an Eco, but I always thought the Ecos rev limiter was set at 6450. Anytime I take it past about 6100, I feel like I lose power up there anyway.

More than likely your peak HP is before 6100 RPM, but something you have to consider is when shifting how far the RPM's drop in the next gear. You want to still be in the power band. This is exactly why Weebel was asking.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:53 PM
^^^^^^^ yep

Now that the cams are in..... I've done some pulls off of idle to redline..... and below 3 grand.... although the car takes off good... it's nothing special.... once I hit 3 grand.... you can actually feel the power starting to kick in.... and by the time it hits 4.... the car is screaming.... It's a big enough of a difference that even passengers have noticed it (not a "smooth" transition)..... which is why I want to keep the revs up as much as passable... at least during a drag race.

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:16 PM
Weebel wrote:^^^^^^^ yep

Now that the cams are in..... I've done some pulls off of idle to redline..... and below 3 grand.... although the car takes off good... it's nothing special.... once I hit 3 grand.... you can actually feel the power starting to kick in.... and by the time it hits 4.... the car is screaming.... It's a big enough of a difference that even passengers have noticed it (not a "smooth" transition)..... which is why I want to keep the revs up as much as passable... at least during a drag race.

I know what you speak of, but on the dyno it really is not much difference. I'm really starting to think the 2.3 cams are a waste. I have been debating on swapping back to stock cams.

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 31, 2008 2:44 AM
IDK.... I'd just leave them in there.... even if the dyno shows just a few HP... that still more HP...... I wouldn't convert back to stock... but I might pull them out in change for some W41's or something. IDK if it was just me or the car.... but I went from 15.2 to 14.8 when I put the cams in.... I'd say thats worth it assuming it wasn't mostly me just learning the car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search