Cavalier went from a 5spd to a 3spd at the track... - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavalier went from a 5spd to a 3spd at the track...
Saturday, July 19, 2008 9:53 PM
Ok, so I took it to the track last night and ran a consistant 16.2. First run on a bone stock 03 Cavalier base was 16.282 at 84.30mph. Second run was 16.281 at 84.39mph. Car is nothing if not consistant. Third run I missed the first to second shift and ended up with a 16.722 at 80.64mph. Fourth run got me back up with my first and second run with a 16.293 at 83.83mph. Then it all fell apart. Fifth run I got my best R/T of the night with a .193 on the lights. I nailed the shift to second. Into third could have been a little better, but when I tried to go to fourth... it wasn't there... I coasted across the finish line with a 16.769 at 73.18mph, got it back to the pits and started feeling for what went wrong. Turns out, my 5 speed Cavalier now no longer has second, fourth, or reverse... One of the guys at the track said that it might be a shift cable since the 3 gears I lost are the lower gates, but first seems about 2 inches closer to me than it was so it might be a bent shifter... There was no grinding in the transmission and I didn't leak any fluids so that leads me to believe that it might not be the transmission itself... Any ideas would be much appreciated.

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Re: Cavalier went from a 5spd to a 3spd at the track...
Saturday, July 19, 2008 9:54 PM
Forgot to subscribe to my own thread... how stupid of me...

Sunday, July 20, 2008 5:40 PM
you broke a cable, or it came off the shifter

Sunday, July 20, 2008 7:09 PM
def. a cable. i just did the same thing for the second time in less than a month. it's a pretty easy fix.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Friday, August 22, 2008 12:06 PM
nah, its an 03. I bet that the cable is fine, he broke the bracket that holds the cable that sits on top of the transmission. Especially if he miss shifted. I did that in two cars. The getrag has a thinner bracket than the isuzu. In the getrag I broke the bracket, in the isuzu I tore the cable apart.

so what ended up being the verdict?

Friday, August 22, 2008 6:04 PM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:nah, its an 03. I bet that the cable is fine, he broke the bracket that holds the cable that sits on top of the transmission. Especially if he miss shifted. I did that in two cars. The getrag has a thinner bracket than the isuzu. In the getrag I broke the bracket, in the isuzu I tore the cable apart.

so what ended up being the verdict?

I had the same bracket snap on my 01 2.4L..

but still interested in the verdict...

-- MyZcar

Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:13 AM
As it turns out, it was the bracket, but on the shifter side, not the end at the transmission... The dealership charged me $266 to fix it... Not too bad I guess.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search