Passlock bypass - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Passlock bypass
Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:48 AM
I just picked up a slightly wrecked and also trashed 98 Cavalier and can't get it to run. I think the problem is with the key because there is only the metal part left. It cranks and starts but shuts off in about ten seconds but if you force feed it with starting fluid or gas it will run. Everything I've read points to the passlock system and I was wondering if there is an easy way to bypass it. The theft system light stays on steady and there are no codes.

Thanks,
Poppop

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Re: Passlock bypass
Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:00 PM
the key shouldn't be the issue because the resistor in these systems is actually in the tumbling mechanism of the lock cylinder. as for bypassing it there is no easy way. in fact i have never had anything work successfully. the only thing i can tell you is make sure that the three wires on the lock cylinder are plugged in and that the plug on the right hand side of the top of the gauge cluster is plugged in.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:42 AM
Thanks for your help, The plug at the top right of the instrument cluster was disconnected and when I put it back, it started right up.

Kenny "Poppop" Brown

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:36 PM
You can measure the resistance of the resistor, go down to radio shack, get the required resistors to match, and solder them in to the pass lock wires in the steering column, I know i didnt do a great job of explaining, just google gm passlock bypass.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:11 PM
wrong forum?

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search