android dyno app - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
android dyno app
Friday, August 06, 2010 7:25 AM
Was playing with this android app called dynomaster it uses GPS and the phones accelerometer to time you did 2 0-60 runs what do you guys think of the accuracy im sure the times are pretty spot on second run got no traction through 1st but what do yall think about the HP numbers it uses the time it recorded weight of the car and data from the accelrometer to guesstimate the HP

Dynomaster Time Slip Results

Dynomaster Run: Aug 6, 2010 7:37 AM
Recorded: Aug 6, 2010 7:37 AM
Weather: Partly Cloudy
Wind: SW at 2 mph
Humidity: 92%
Temperature: 75 F
Pressure: 14.4 psi

Vehicle: 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
Weight: 2617 lbs

Top Speed: 64 mph
Max Wheel Power 264 hp
Max Crank Power 318 hp
Max Drag Loss 11 hp
Power-to-Weight 0.12

ET Name Speed Time
60 ft ET 23.3 mph 2.97 secs
1/8 mile ET 0 mph 0 secs
1/4 mile ET 0 mph 0 secs
0 - 60 mph 60 mph 7 secs

http://dynomaster.trackaroo.com

Sent from my Droid X

Dynomaster Time Slip Results

Dynomaster Run: Aug 6, 2010 8:16 AM
Recorded: Aug 6, 2010 8:16 AM
Weather: Clear
Wind: NW at 10 mph
Humidity: 46%
Temperature: 87 F
Pressure: 14.5 psi

Vehicle: 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
Weight: 2617 lbs

Top Speed: 61 mph
Max Wheel Power 242 hp
Max Crank Power 292 hp
Max Drag Loss 9 hp
Power-to-Weight 0.11

ET Name Speed Time
60 ft ET 22.67 mph 4.99 secs
1/8 mile ET 0 mph 0 secs
1/4 mile ET 0 mph 0 secs
0 - 60 mph 60 mph 8.61 secs

http://dynomaster.trackaroo.com

Sent from my Droid X

Re: android dyno app
Friday, August 06, 2010 7:39 AM
pretty cool, and good numbers. but how does this work?? im very curious.

Friday, August 06, 2010 8:29 AM
from the website

Does Dynomaster require calibration?
No. Dynomaster is simple to use and no calibration steps are required.

Does Dynomaster use the built-in accelerometer?
Dynomaster uses the built-in accelerometer in addition to GPS to provide very accurate results.

Do I need a special mount? How should I mount my device?
Dynomaster does not require any special mounting or require a specific mounting orientation to log data. Dynomaster can simply be stowed in your pocket if you don't care about watching the display. A Pocket mode setting is available to prevent accidental triggers. Dynomaster will adjust orientation and attitude automatically.

How does speech work?
Enable the Speech setting and Dynomaster will speak your speed and times as well as your progress (60 ft, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile). This allows you to keep your eyes on the road. Speech will also work with a bluetooth headset.

How does Dynomaster work with Google Earth?
Dynomaster allows you to export your data as a Google Earth file. With Google Earth, you can analyze your run data on your desktop PC. You can view your run on a map, replay your run, and view all your raw data.

How does Dynomaster work with Twitter and Facebook?
Dynomaster allows you to share your data to Twitter and Facebook using the Share menu option. You can post your time slip, map, dyno, and G-meter images. You can also post your real-time ETs to your status updates.

Is Dynomaster available for the iPhone or Blackberry?
Currently, Dynomaster is only available for Android devices.

My guess is it does some math based off the time it took you to do a 1/4 mile or 0-60 what ever you had set it to log and then the weight of your car. As far as use its set to start logging on movement so once gps and the accelerometer detect youre moving it starts logging at stops when gps reads you at 60 mph or when you have done 1/4th of a mile it has a lot of options you could set it to start logging at 30mpg and log until what ever speed you set.

No idea how accurate the HP numbers are but since its using gps I would say stuff like 0-60 or 1/4 mile should be quite accurate.

Saturday, August 07, 2010 4:56 PM
Certain people dog me for using a G-tech, but yet the same people complain about things going wrong on the dyno or something was weird about the dyno,etc. I would weigh your car in on a truck scale or something similar, get it dialed in(extremely important) and use your app to testing between upgrades,tunes,tweaks,etc. I use my G-tech for this and its been absolutely amazing.

Pontiac Fiero powered by L61/LE5 Ecotec "Innovation is a new level of performance"
Saturday, August 07, 2010 7:26 PM
Looks like the perfect tool to log those 60-100 runs.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:09 AM
The times on devices like these are often correct, I used my G-tech pro (the orig version) at the track and it told me the same 1/4 mile time withing .1 on each run I used it.... The trap speed was a few mph off though.

The horsepower calc is using the same thing that any of the websites online use when some try to calculate hp based on ET and Trap, however it can't account for wind drag as every car is different. The numbers are usually not that far off though. However the biggest thing is getting the weight correct as that's one of the factors. Your numbers look high for the mods and the time/data. Looking at the weight you used, it's likely the reason as jbodies with driver weigh more than that. My car (02 ls sport w/ sunroof) weight 2856 with me (160lbs) but the spare tire and jack removed. Change the weight to a more realistic figure and the numbers could be closer to reality.

Interesting things to have, specifically if it can measure from a roll start at a given rpm/speed to another set speed. That would help with street tuning to see what changes make more or less power.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Sunday, August 08, 2010 6:05 PM
the weight was something i pulled off of the internet HP numbers seemed high to me as well i expect its making in the 220-240whp range tops the app does allow for you to input drive train loss % coefficient of drag and frontal area sq ft to get a more accurate estimate of HP. I dont know where i could find the latter part of that information though.

Sunday, August 08, 2010 6:19 PM
my car weighed in at 2680 without me.

and is that the ap you buy? the 4.99 version?

Monday, August 09, 2010 6:15 AM
google around and you can find the .apk file but yea its like 4.99 in the market

Monday, August 09, 2010 9:28 AM
There is a free one called adyno I'm going to try. Id just like to see the time difference between the z and the vert.

Monday, August 09, 2010 1:13 PM
lol im not sure how to install the .apk's or even find them.

Monday, August 09, 2010 2:43 PM
i saw this and was curious

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:06 PM
i cant get mine to read hp, and my 1/4 mile times read like 20 seconds....

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:59 PM
I sit it up on the dash in the defrost vent I have a droid x so that spot hold the phone really well. Make sure it's got good gps signal also on the screen where it shows your run on the map swipe that bottom tool bar to the left to see dyno and gforce

Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:13 PM
mine is telling me i need to update it now, but it takes me to the market and i can update/

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search