this cant be right - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
this cant be right
Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:17 PM
This website says this in refrence to 1/4 mile times STOCK

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231495

"1995 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 18.0"
"1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS 16.1"

but we all know here that 95 and 96 came with same engines...unless im wrong and 96LS =2.4L? and 95LS =2.2L?

Re: this cant be right
Friday, November 19, 2010 11:22 AM
I think the 18 is a 3spd auto and the 16.1 is the 5 speed 2.2 for both.
Friday, November 19, 2010 5:23 PM
hmm that could deffinately be it, although my 2.2L 3spd auto beat my friends mitsubishi eclipse with the 2.0 dohc 4spd auto...i have the video but its at a huge street racing spot so im not allowed to upload but now me and him both upgraded to 5speeds with same cars and same engines, although mine was sedan now its coupe and his was eclipse now talon(but basically the same thing) and we're gonna race again soon, not on the track though cause he will never bring his talon to the track since hes got a 3000gt awd twin turbo 6spd

Friday, November 19, 2010 5:53 PM
well that's good bud, even after being warned your'e still discussing street racing in a forum with this listed at the top of the @!#$ page.

Street racing, on the other hand, is NOT spoken here. This forum is for legal racing only.

here, i'll make it idiot proof for you.

STREET RACING, ON THE OTHER HAND, IS NOT SPOKEN HERE. THIS FORUM IS FOR LEGAL RACING ONLY.

seriously, wtf is so hard about not talking about your street races. no one's impressed that you street race a 2200, or any cavalier for that matter. it just makes you look like a douche.

Friday, November 19, 2010 6:11 PM
Cool your jets there sparky.....

Remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous .
Friday, November 19, 2010 6:19 PM
Jordan Brown wrote:Cool your jets there sparky.....

x2 lol wow someone just blew up for no reason, did you read what i said? i didnt post it cause its not allowed here, big deal i mentioned it once...it was the only way i can describe my old cav

Friday, November 19, 2010 7:57 PM
Could be the difference in the efficiency of the 95 OBD1 vs 96 OBD2. But thats assuming theyre both the same tranny. The gap does seem rather huge though.

Id say the 95 has to be the 3 speed auto. The 4 speed auto can cut a high 16 low 17 and the 5-speed can do a mid 16 depending on the driver.

Friday, November 19, 2010 10:54 PM
i owned a 96 with 3spd, now have a 95 with 5spd lol and i can say yes, there is a big difference i can feel lol but i dont think the obd1 and 2 makes a difference, thats more for like sensors and stuff, theyre both the same motor, maybe one had more sensors but other then that, u can google the specs and every site will say stock 120hp

Saturday, November 20, 2010 7:01 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:i owned a 96 with 3spd, now have a 95 with 5spd lol and i can say yes, there is a big difference i can feel lol but i dont think the obd1 and 2 makes a difference, thats more for like sensors and stuff, theyre both the same motor, maybe one had more sensors but other then that, u can google the specs and every site will say stock 120hp

The obd1 and 2 are different operating systems in our cars, The 95 obd1 is speed density and the 96 obd2 is alpha/n. The tunes could be different enough to make one engine slower than the other. Although I till say that insure that GM had the numbers pretty close.

Also in 95 the LS only came with a 2.2 and the Z24 had a 2.3. In 96 the base model had a 2.2 and the Z24 had a 2.4, im pretty sure that with the LS the buyer had the option of either engine. I would say the 16.1 is on par with a 2.4 auto. I highly doubt even a 5spd 2.2 would touch 16.1 in stock form.

Im not trying to flame you by saying what Im going to say, Im trying to help you from getting flamed on in future posts:

As for the street racing, its not accepted on here for 1 because of legal issues for the site just like we dont talk about disabling the top speed limiter. And 2 its stupid! Im not going to pretend like I never did it or many of the other people on here havnt but it is dumb and irresponsible. Its dangerous even on a closed country back road much less a busy street. The conditions just aren't the same as on the track. Even if its on a deserted road and only you and the other driver were to crash and die it would still hurt your friends and families. Thats why you get so much crap for talking about it. It doesnt matter how safe you think it is on your back road or any other reasons you can do to justify it, its still dangerous and still illegal. YOU WILL GET FLAMED FOR MENTIONING IT EVERY TIME. All you have to do is say you "raced" a friend, dont say "street" racing and most wont bother flaming you.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 7:50 PM
^^^^what he said. i could give a @!#$ if you run your car into a tree doing 90mph. just don't bring it up here.

probly every single person on here has street raced (or still does), most are just intelligent enough to not bring it up.

but for some damn reason it always seems like it's the 2200 owner's that need to bring it up......wtf?

Saturday, November 20, 2010 9:17 PM
its because there super super fast lmfao...........

2003 2.2 ecotec turbo 250 whp 247tq

Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:23 AM
blucavvy wrote:^^^^what he said. i could give a @!#$ if you run your car into a tree doing 90mph. just don't bring it up here.

probly every single person on here has street raced (or still does), most are just intelligent enough to not bring it up.

but for some damn reason it always seems like it's the 2200 owner's that need to bring it up......wtf?

i has 2.2ohv not 2200 but ok fair enough, idk how it has anything to do with "legal reasons" cause they have to catch you doing it to actually do something about it...but this is getting off the topic of my post

my 5spd 2.2OBD1 feels alot faster then my 3spd 2.2OBD2, just sayin

Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:39 AM
Smoking is dangerous, drinking alcohol is dangerous, shooting guns and hunting is dangerous. So is swimming in the ocean, riding in a commercial airplane, and white water rafting. Yet people still do those things...

Know what is illegal? Tinting your front windows, removing your catalytic converter, not passing an emissions test, tuning your car (HP Tuners is for off road use only), playing loud music while driving, and having nitrous oxide hooked up in your car (Texas to name just one). We don't talk about those things here... oh wait...

My point is to take things with a grain of salt, and don't be so naive. Don't act high and mighty and tell people "you fu**ing retard, it's against the rules, read the rules," because that just makes you look stupid and ignorant. If it is against the rules, politely remind them, and remember that we discuss dangerous and ILLEGAL things all the time on the JBO forums.

That is all.
Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:02 AM
2.2 2200 they are both slow ass balls .........i race a 1998 2200 auto sedan and he went 17.7 with a cai and maybe exhaus so those #s sound about correct.
Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:50 PM
I'm pretty sure when I've heard legal issues being spoken of I mean for example....people on here talk about street racfing and some kid say sets up a race on the site or spends a lot of time on the site and then goes and street races and dies the parents could potentially sue because it probably got the motivation from here.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:12 PM
Zs Z wrote:I'm pretty sure when I've heard legal issues being spoken of I mean for example....people on here talk about street racfing and some kid say sets up a race on the site or spends a lot of time on the site and then goes and street races and dies the parents could potentially sue because it probably got the motivation from here.

eh i dont think this site gave him motivation at all, what's she going to do, sue the poeple who motivated him to do it? what if he talked alot about setting up a street race and die and did this over yahoo email, or aol messenger, can she sue them too? dont say no cause its personaly message, what if it was a chat room on aol messenger? some computers save the conversations automatically for record.....i dont think it has anything to do with lawsuits, just the creators or moderators of this site just dont want the whole site about illegal racing, and they want it to be a organized site when street racing isnt exactly organized too well...whatever it is, i made a comment about it and in the same sentence i corrected mysefl about it.....i said i street raced and said cant post the vid cause its not allowed here THATS IT...and whoever flipped out, get over it. everyone is off topic on what this was really posted for

/threat let it die out

and idc what people think about the way i type, its a computer, not an college essay lol grammer nazis

Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:47 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:/threat let it die out

only intelligent thing youv'e said so far.

other than thread being spelled as "threat" lolz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:47 PM

Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:31 PM
was typing fast lol

Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:09 PM
I personally don't care I was just letting you know why everyone gives you crap. Didn't mean to thread jack.

I did answer your origional question though.

Monday, November 22, 2010 1:53 PM
Okay back on topic I thought only the Z-24 could have the 2.4? I suppose the 16.1 could be a 2-door 5spd. I know in circle track racing the 2.4/ auto was barely faster than a 2.2/ 5spd but thats a way different ballgame. Sorry to thread jack but a 2.4/ 5spd stock should run like a 15.5 right?
Monday, November 22, 2010 3:10 PM
The 2.3 was only available in the 95 z24 and there was no 2.4 in 96 the 2.4 was an option in the LS model. No 2.2 or 2200 ran a 16.1 in stock form even with a 5spd. A 2.4 5spd could run anywhere between a 15.7 and a 16.0 and the auto is probably between 16 and 16.7. All depending on driver of course.

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:25 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:
blucavvy wrote:^^^^what he said. i could give a @!#$ if you run your car into a tree doing 90mph. just don't bring it up here.

i has 2.2ohv not 2200 but ok fair enough, idk how it has anything to do with "legal reasons" cause they have to catch you doing it to actually do something about it...but this is getting off the topic of my post

my 5spd 2.2OBD1 feels alot faster then my 3spd 2.2OBD2, just sayin

Thats all in the tranny. That has nothing to do with the OBD1 or 2. 3 speeds have obnoxiously tall gears. 5 speeds have shorter gears. Plus the power loss through the auto tranny and the fact that a 5-speed will make things "feel" faster because you can shift harder.

And for future reference just say you raced your friends car just leave the word "street" out of. the bitching wont start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 22, 2010 7:33 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search