Isuzu Stock Car Engine Swap - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Isuzu Stock Car Engine Swap
Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:18 PM
I am new to this forum and have an interesting project on the go, We race an Asuna Sunfire (Isuzu Impulse) on a high banked 1/3 paved oval in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan..

http://www.autoclearingmotorspeedway.ca

We have exhausted our supply of Isuzu engines and the tech comity at our track has approved a swap to GM or a Saturn engine, 4 valve engine must be under 2 liters and two or three valve can be up to 2.5 liters. I am just beginning to swap out the isuzu engine for a 2.2 SOHC, The transmission is the same as our isuzu and the engine looks like it will fit rather nicely. I am wondering if anyone has swapped a 2.2 engine into a totally different vehicle and what challenges we will be facing. I have a 99 Cav sitting in my driveway ready to donate anything needed for the swap.. I think we will be dropping some horsepower but gaining torque, but the biggest thing is the availability of engines and performance parts, etc. There is absolutely nothing available for Isuzu around here. We cant get any rebuild parts or anything so I think this may be a good swap. I am looking forward to any assistance or suggestions on this project.

Thanks

Rick

Re: Isuzu Stock Car Engine Swap
Monday, May 21, 2012 10:08 PM
Are you sure the transmission will bolt up ? I know the insides can be interchanged but not sure on the bolt patterns. The twincam and 2.2 share similar transmissions parts but have different bolt pattern. The Dohc Saturn would be a better candidate, but might be a bigger pain in the ass wiring wise. Your probably gonna have to rewire everything from the dash forward. Sounds like a huge project, good luck
Re: Isuzu Stock Car Engine Swap
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:25 AM
The plan is to use the 2.2 trans and modify the axles if needed. Wiring shouldn't be too bad since I don't have to worry about my stock gauges or anything. Anyone know how much the 2.2 engine weighs and how much fuel pump pressure do I need?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search