Thinking about starting to autocross - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thinking about starting to autocross
Friday, August 03, 2012 9:08 AM
When I built my current cav, the main purpose was for a good street car that preformed good in the 1/4 mile. Its auto and runs 12.6s in the 1/4 currently. I know the tranny can't take shifting with the full power much longer, and drag racing is starting to get boring (plus I have a new car for that) So I've been thinking I want to start autocrossing. I've never done it before but have a few friends who would give me pointers. With that said, there are some things on the cav that need addressed before I would want to start. I know I prob want a smaller turbo than whats on there now, but I was thinking I would try the current one first. Interior wise, I already have racing seats, harnesses, a smaller steering wheel, and helmet, so I believe I should be good there. Tires and brakes are good too (although I should do rear disc conversion) I believe the main thing that needs addressed before I start is the suspension. Its basically on stock replacement struts with ebach sportline springs. Fine for the street, but I image way too soft for autocrossing. What would be a good set of struts for this and are there any other things that come to mind that should be addressed before I start? I mainly just want have a decent setup to start with and if I like it a lot, then get a bit more crazy with everything and upgrade all areas needed at that time.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Thinking about starting to autocross
Saturday, August 04, 2012 11:09 AM
--Boosted Z-- wrote:Its basically on stock replacement struts with ebach sportline springs. Fine for the street.

I'll have to disagree. It is never ok to lower on stock struts. /Mini rant over.

You want something with adjustable dampening. Some oversteer/understeer issues can be fixed by adjusting the dampening. Also having an separate ride height and spring preload is ideal. Basically, coil-overs. Strat81 and I both run Tein SuperStreet(SSP) coil-overs and the do the job well(and are not bad on the street), but we do not have separate ride height/spring preload adjustment.

Probably the most important upgrade is tires. They make a world of difference. I switched from Riken Raptors to Hankook Ventus V12 evo k110s for this year. Such a huge improvement and i cant wait for these to die so i can toss a set of Hankook RS-3s on.

Autocrossing can be a slippery slope. I went from a bagged/stock suspension to coil-overs/sway bars then to a fully built suspension all because of it.

Monday, August 06, 2012 9:11 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
--Boosted Z-- wrote:Its basically on stock replacement struts with ebach sportline springs. Fine for the street.

I'll have to disagree. It is never ok to lower on stock struts. /Mini rant over.

I knew someone would say something about that, lol

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Monday, August 06, 2012 9:36 AM
Matt I would go with a much smaller turbo.

I would get the BC Racing Coilovers. They aren't that hard to get, but I know Krono's is selling them for $1000, and http://www.flushstance.com/bcracing-coilovers/chevrolet/ has them for $995

Here is a little background info. Click Me!

I would get a sway bar, and leave the stock one in the front with new urethane bushings.

Where are you going to go to autocross?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:19 PM
honestly, i'd start with a different car.

as somebody that had built a car for a different purpose and then got into autox, I was in a class that I was nowhere near competitive in for quite a few years. the turbo ALONE will put you into Street Mod which is usually full of a number of highly modded cars.

if you're set on running what you have, I would do NOTHING to the car for your first few events. it's pointless to throw money at the car when you have never tried it and may or may not like it (although i've yet to meet a person that hasn't wanted to continue) and don't have a good feel for what needs improved/changed. get a few events under your belt to get used to driving through a coned course and pushing the car to it's limits and THEN spend money making improvements.

keep in mind the biggest/best mod is tightening the nut behind the wheel.

as tinkles will tell you, a fast driver in a slow car > a slow driver in a fast car.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:53 PM
strat81 wrote: ...if you're set on running what you have, I would do NOTHING to the car for your first few events. it's pointless to throw money at the car when you have never tried it and may or may not like it (although i've yet to meet a person that hasn't wanted to continue) and don't have a good feel for what needs improved/changed. get a few events under your belt to get used to driving through a coned course and pushing the car to it's limits and THEN spend money making improvements.

as tinkles will tell you, a fast driver in a slow car > a slow driver in a fast car.

This is the truth!

I would at least change out the shocks/struts to handle the lowering springs you already have installed for your safety.

Just go out there and learn your car and your driving style. And above all, have fun doing it.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Monday, September 17, 2012 2:56 PM
I'm in the same boat. Went up to auto-x yesterday, and holy lord it was fun. I did have to request a different corner with more action... to make up for the 20 something cones I took out in my heat

Tires are the biggest thing you can do for auto-x. Hankook RS-3's are what everyone with good times was running yesterday. I'd suggest dedicated rims, and swap the wheels at the track. That's my next step.

I'm running a koni yellow sport kit (the one with the springs that only god knows where they come from)... And I bet you I won't start bitching about my suspension for 2 years. Its Tires>Brakes>Suspension>Engine

strat81 wrote:honestly, i'd start with a different car.

as somebody that had built a car for a different purpose and then got into autox, I was in a class that I was nowhere near competitive in for quite a few years. the turbo ALONE will put you into Street Mod which is usually full of a number of highly modded cars.

if you're set on running what you have, I would do NOTHING to the car for your first few events. it's pointless to throw money at the car when you have never tried it and may or may not like it (although i've yet to meet a person that hasn't wanted to continue) and don't have a good feel for what needs improved/changed. get a few events under your belt to get used to driving through a coned course and pushing the car to it's limits and THEN spend money making improvements.

This is my exact situation right now. You're in 2nd gear 99.99999% of the time on the track, and my big ass turbo doesn't spool up until 3500. Definitely agree with the slow and steady wins the race train of thought.

And yeah, street mod class. 78 seemed to be the average time, best times down to 70... my best of the day was 89. To brag further about my inability to drive, I placed 75 of 76 indexed for the event, and I have mad videos of me skidding right into the 'wall' on one corner.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:43 PM
^^ post said videos....

and Ive been debating AutoX for a while now..good crowed in San Antonio for it. Been to a few events, never entered my car though.
One advantage Ill have over the turbo guys, is my supercharger. Nearly instant boost. But on just steelies with all seasons, the tires will be my weak point.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:38 PM
Eric Knight wrote: I'd suggest dedicated rims, and swap the wheels at the track.

I'll agree with you to an extent. I know personally that after a day of racing I just want to go home and relax, not swap wheels and try to pack everything back into the car. But that is what is great about the R-S3s, they are still a street tire so just drive home on them and swap them at home.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:46 AM
blu04DD wrote:^^ post said videos....

and Ive been debating AutoX for a while now..good crowed in San Antonio for it. Been to a few events, never entered my car though.
One advantage Ill have over the turbo guys, is my supercharger. Nearly instant boost. But on just steelies with all seasons, the tires will be my weak point.

autox with a supercharger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QtNkIx5m0A&feature=share&list=UUplnAqU7HQS_6h08gqph0zA

Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:04 PM
strat81 wrote:
blu04DD wrote:^^ post said videos....

autox with a supercharger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QtNkIx5m0A&feature=share&list=UUplnAqU7HQS_6h08gqph0zA

I have to say that is one of the first autocross tracks that I actually liked.

FU Tuning

Monday, October 01, 2012 12:05 PM
I've been autoXing my cavvy for almost 2yrs now and I'm addicted! I run with East TN, and Chattanooga Regions of the SCCA. I run a pretty simple set-up in STC trim: I/H/E, Eibach Pro-Plus Kit (sways & springs), Tokico HP Blues, TTR K-member, Bushings all-around, and I run 225/45-17 Dunlop Star Specs. I love the Dunlops, they have lasted me 1 whole season and several track days. I trailer them to the site and change back to DD'ers before going home. The Dunlops heat up quick and are awesome in the rain. The Hankooks are very good as well and will save you some $. The Toyo R1-Rs are great especially if you run the 195/50-15s the supposed "cheater" tire where the tread compound is soft the whole way through allowing you to run them shaved. I typically dominate the STC class regionally with the only car to beat me as of yet is the "spec" car for the class, the 88-89 civic si hatch. They have ~500lbs less than our cars and a much shorter wheelbase. I have run a few national events, but again, the Civics always show up and rule there. I love running in the Cavvy simply for the surprise factor. People always underestimate it until they see my times. I have clenched the ETRSCCA, CRSCCA, and overall SEDIV STC championships as of this past weekend. To edit what Eric said above slightly I think the most important things to successful autoX are: Tires>Driver>Brakes>Suspension>Engine. Try to get into some driving schools. I have attended several EVO schools http://evoschool.com I'll try to get some vids up of my recent runs. For now all of my stuff is on FB http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/justin.ford.79677 Feel Free to add me and check it out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search