Drag Tires? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drag Tires?
Monday, August 13, 2012 10:45 PM
What do you guys suggest for drag tires. Some input on both street legal and non-streetable

Re: Drag Tires?
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:00 PM
M&H drag slicks.

/thread.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:46 PM
for n/a or boost?

for n/a i honestly dont see the need for slicks. you can cut 1.9 60 foots on street tires in our car's with the proper suspension setup. possibly even a 1.8 if you really practice at it. not really gonna get much better than that, maybe a 1.7 with drag radials but slicks are overkill because our final drive ratios are so high that it really isnt that hard to get it to hook n/a.

now, for boost.. whole different story. drag radials and slicks are definitely the best bet there.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:44 PM
1.7 60' on my drag slicks all day!!!!

IMO drag slicks are much easier on drive lines than drag radials.

They are also better for traction.

They are also much cheaper.

Why would anyone in there right mind buy drag radials unless they wanted to use them on the street is beyond me.

Ps. Eat @!#$ brad!!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:26 PM
newt wrote:
Why would anyone in there right mind buy drag radials unless they wanted to use them on the street is beyond me.

I have to run radials to run specific classes. Also have to run a street tire or a radial to run at midnight mayhem races, which are from 11p-3a. Slicks aren't allowed. I would love to get slicks but I like being able to run against a bunch of street cars at midnight mayhems and know how to launch on them now. Will be just as easy as a slick on my drivetrain.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:57 AM
^^^ Get a set of DOT cheater slicks then.

Perfectly legal for any class that requires street tires.

And they still have wrinkle walls.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:54 PM
newt wrote:^^^ Get a set of DOT cheater slicks then.

Perfectly legal for any class that requires street tires.

And they still have wrinkle walls.

my radials are barely legal even Slicks are not allowed. Nor are cheater slicks, Street tires or radials only. Yes they do check.

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:05 AM
newt wrote:

depending on the sus setup and balance of the car some people can actually go faster on radial.

the stronger tire construction leads to less friction down the track thereby higher mph and lower ETs in cars that are set up for it. also in faster cars the stronger construction of the tire leads to less 'soiled pants' type events that can take place about the 1000ft area. especially if you got to a backwoods track that has a few bumps in the road.

stronger contstruction leads to less flex in the tire. so to make up for the traction that is why DRs tend to have softer compound than bias ply.

the bias ply having less weight would lead you to belive you can still get higher MPH, but this is not always the case. remeber what I was talking about with tire flex. in a car with more top end power the lower rolling resistance of DRs would actually be at an advantage there.

I am by no means against bias ply, I just thing you should take some time to thing about what the car needs. with our cars the shock of dropping the clutch on a car with little weight over the drive tires may actually benifit from the flexability of bias ply over the strenght of DRs.

other than that most of my experience has been with MT DRs, MT bias ply, and BFG DRs. all are a great tire, compairing dr to dr I think MT has a lot more traction however BFG is lighter. for my next tire I will be experimenting with goodyears now DR. they say it is supposed to be just as stickey as MT except lighter like a BFG.

another morsel (while I am in a good mood LOL) all season tires can actually be better for you than a tire meant for autox of the same size. the thought process would be (well its stickier right? so I should be fine right?" the awnser here is no. tires for turning have stiffer sidewalls that all season tires. much stiffer. a decent set of all seasons can actually outrun a set of autox tires in the 1/4 mile because at the launch the flexing allowed by the all season tire will lead to a better 60'

http://www.myspace.com/yourfavoriteprofile
Friday, August 24, 2012 12:08 AM
wow, its been a hot minute since I posted here, had to fix the sig LOL
Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:02 AM
i cut 1.6 60 foot times with Mickey Thompson ET streets

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:50 AM
My last set were 275/50r15 mt et street drs on a bolt on 2006 mustang. I was cutting mid-high 1.6s at 24psi and was dead hooking. So I know the tires have more in them than that. Hell there are x275 guys cutting 1.4s all day long on the same tire 275/60r15

when I had drs on the cavi I had bfgs(205/50r15 I think but I am probably wrong). I was cutting very low 1.8s but if I had known more about tire pressure and track prep back then I probably could of easily gotten more.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:06 PM
What size is everyone running?

Radial or slick. I have 14 inch drag radials. I think 205/55/14 (but need to verify).

I have some 15 inch steelies I want to get tires for. Looking at sizes.

FU Tuning

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:30 AM
I run a Hoosier Quick Time Pro's ( 225/50/16) on Maxxim Advance's. Fetter's old setup. I love mine. Camron was running mid 10's on them.

Wheels

Tires

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:28 PM
soo....many....choices..... lol Will be looking into it more next spring when I have a supporting driveline

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:28 PM
I run a 22x9.0-13 on my car, wanted the extra gearing, shot myself in the foot cause I then had to shift into 4th.

Supporting driveline? You mean power wise or beefed up trans/axle wise?

Stock axles and trans are plenty strong.

I have probably close to 1000 drag passes on my car now, most of those on slicks with 6k clutch dumps off the line, around 100,000k on the car.

Factory axles

Now watch, next time out I'll break one! LOL

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:05 PM
I have Ran Hoosier Slicks, Hoosier Quicktime Pro's, MT Et Street Radials, BFG Comp TA Radials, Nittor Radials, M/T ET Drags

for Slicks Hoosier Hands down

For Drag radials the MT Et Street Radials are awesome!

Hoosier Quick times and MT ET street (original) are biasply basically a DOT slick........

For my Nova have a set of Hoosier Slicks and Hoosier Quick Time Pros mounted depending if i am in a class that needs DOT tire or not

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search