New Personal Best in the Z24 last night :D - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Personal Best in the Z24 last night :D
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:18 PM
Went back to Atco Raceway last night since installing the Header and cutout.

First pass was a 15.09 @ 89mph 2.13 60' launching around 3000-3500rpm, cutout closed

Second pass was a 14.81 @ 91mph on a 2.06 60' launching at 4000 rpm, cutout open. It dead hooked too. The clutch got a lil hot and I had some minor slippage in the first 330' but I was still pretty happy with the results. Nothing was removed from the car other than the spare tire/jack

With a lil more tuning and If the clutch can hold up to a 4500-5k launch, I believe there's another .1-.13 of ET left in it. I still have a few more mods on my list too.

Attachments
14.81 at 91 slip.jpg (109k)

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd CRM
Eibach Anti Roll kit, Poly motor/trans mounts, custom made CAI, Header, cutout, tuned by me with HPtuners
14.81 @ 91.09 mph 2.06 60'
97 Saturn SC1 with DOHC swap. 13.7@98mph on motor. +75 shot 12.8 @107mph

Re: New Personal Best in the Z24 last night :D
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 6:16 PM
What are the mods to the car?

FU Tuning

Thursday, November 07, 2013 3:32 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:What are the mods to the car?

Mods in sig. Just in case my sig isn't viewable, here they are-

Eibach Anti Roll kit, Poly motor/trans mounts, custom made CAI, Header, cutout, tuned by me with HPtuners

I have a few more mods on my list to do.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:08 AM
Unless the car is completely gutted.....the 15.6 is a lot more believable....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:47 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Unless the car is completely gutted.....the 15.6 is a lot more believable....

I knew this would happen eventually. I will have to disagree with you. What are you basing argument off of? I race at Atco Raceway, one of the best tracks on the east coast, if not the country. Reasons being- excellent traction and of course, 33' above sea level with exceptional fall/winter/early spring air. Density altitude alone will make a 4 gttenth difference in ET between summer and fall. The changeses made since my 15.2 pass- header,cutout,retuned. I launched at a higher rpm and it hooked, therefore reducing my 60' time' time (.1 dow low = .2 up top) So, what's so hard to believe about picking up some ET and 2 mph with the new mods/retune and picking up some more ET by reducing my 60'? If you're from maryland, feel free to meet me at Atco Raceway and i'll gladly show you my car/make some passes with you

Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:21 AM
Physics...A normal Z24 weighs between 2900 & 3000 pounds. It is safe to say with a driver 3,000 lbs is believable.

You would need a 185 whp car to move 3,000 pounds of weight down the track, and Run around a 14.8 @ 91 mph.

That hp with your mods seems a little off. If you have that much HP NA with a LD9...you sir are a better tuner than anyone. There are people with WAY WAY more mods, and making less HP.

If you had a 2800 pound car with you in it....and 170whp....you would run 14.8 @ 91 mph also. This is a little more believable...but that is one VERY light Z24.........

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:17 AM

Here we go with the physics lesson lol. I've dealt with your kind before, back when I ran 10.75@124 on a 1.38 60' with my Stock internal, bolt ons only automatic 2001 Corvette (Currently the quickest bolt on C5 in the country as it stands) You want to come at me, trying to tell me about the laws of physics? There is much more to racing than simple physics my friend- more variables than just simple mass, power and acceleration. I can think of 6 off the top of my head. Track elevation, density altitude, weather, the combination of parts, driver, traction.

Just to put it into terms that even YOU can understand, here is an example of how your simple physics will actually prove you wrong when it comes to racing.

For the sake of the argument, I will use these cars since I have 9 years experience with them. Take 2 LS1 powered F-bodies (camaro or firebird) which have identical mods, identical traction, 350hp and weigh 3300lb. Just to rule out the driver variable, we will go with automatics. Car A has a stock torque converter. Car B has a stall converter with the right stall speed for its application.

Car A can only leave at 1800-2000 rpm (not even in its powerband) while Car B leaves at 4600 rpm (right in its peak torque) Car B will easily be a solid 7-8 tenths of a second quicker because of its ability to launch in its powerband. The 60' time of Car A would be 2.0 while Car B is pulling 1.6's. Traction and the 60' is HUGE when it comes to racing. Whatever you drop off your 60' will more often than not, double that gain in the 1/4 mile.

I dropped .5 second of 1/4 mile ET going from a stock converter to a 3400 stall speed in my corvette, and then another .25 second on top of that when I went up to a 4400-4600 stall speed. Well shoot, that's 7.5 tenths right there; 3/4 of a second without adding power or removing weight.. How can that be??? It's called Torque multiplication. Increase the STR (stall-torque raito) and now you're moving that same mass with the same amount of power, quicker.

Here's another example since I see you have/had an automatic car that goes 15.4 @ 88mph...

You take 2 cars with identical mods and tires, one has a stock converter while the other is a 5 speed with a great driver. Manual will win because he can launch at whatever RPM suits him best. In which case, I launched at 4000 rpm (more in my powerband), giving the clutch a quick slip and dead hooking as opposed to you leaving around 1800-2400 or whatever the stock stall speed is. An automatic with a stock converter will not provide you with the same launch as a stick car. Not even remotely close. Not to mention, the manual car tends to trap a few mph higher, due to the gearing and less parasitic loss.

I've had over 1,000 passes at the track in numerous cars in my lifetime of racing. I've had easily 300 passes in just 3 years alone, in my 2001 Corvette. How many have you had? I put alot of R&D into my cars when it comes to racing. While you're sleeping, I'm practicing my launch or coming up with ideas on how to go faster. That's what sets me apart, and ahead of everyone else.

I'll have to take a ride to Powerhaus Performance here in NJ sometime and dyno my car just for you. I'll put it on the scale so I can show you what the car weighs as well. Like I said before, the only thing removed is the spare tire and jack. EVERYTHING else is in the car. I realize that even after I do all of this, you'll still be a non believer, but at least this way people can see where I'm coming from.

The only conclusions that I can draw from you calling me out is that 1- You really don't know anything about racing. 2- You're hurt because you ran slower than me and will be bumped off the list once I post my time. Or 3- a combination of the two.

I rest my case. Good day

Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:54 AM
I have ran 2,500-3,000 passes probably...I do not have time to get to the track as much as I used to.

I drive an auto teal cavalier, yep my feelings are hurt because you ran a faster time.

I agree 100% on the other cars.

Why did you get so butt hurt with me questioning you.

What is not believable is you either made more HP with WAY less add-ons than anyone EVER HAS with a LD9 motor, or you are a better driver and tuner than anyone in the history of the LD9 engine.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, November 07, 2013 10:06 AM
Seeing as how anyone with an actual interest in going fast would never select an LD9 motor as their platform of choice, It's highly likely that when someone with actual racing experience hits the track they are in fact a "better driver and tuner than anyone in the history of the LD9 engine."

Chicks dig convertibles

Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:18 PM
I didn't get "butt hurt" and you certainly didn't question me. You're essentially calling me a liar and calling BS on my times. Like I said, I've dealt with people like you before on other forums when it comes to my times. I'm not butt hurt at all. I'm proud of what I can do with the car and when people like you want to call BS on my times, it's more flattering than anything. However, I'm not going to sit there and take your BS claims. I'll defend my car, my work and my tuning abilities. For claiming to have 2500-3000 passes under your belt, you don't show it with any kind of knowledge when it comes to racing. I bought the car bone stock from an older gentleman; the 2nd owner of 8 years. There's no secrets and nothing to hide. If you knew me, then you'd understand why my cars run the kind of times they do. I had a 97 saturn sc2 that ran 14.8 @91-92mph with just intake and exhaust, untuned, a 97 SC1 with that same motor and the SC1 trans that went 14.91@92mph, 1998 trans am 6spd which ran 11.89@118mph with a 1.83 60' on a 245 street tires and stock 3.42 gears, a 1999 Z28 6spd that ran 11's with bolt ons and gears, and My 2001 Corvette, automatic which ran 10.75 @ 124 on a 1.38 60' with bolt ons, gears and drag radials. Do yourself a favor and read up on track elevation and density altitude for a little bit

Jon Myzie wrote:Seeing as how anyone with an actual interest in going fast would never select an LD9 motor as their platform of choice, It's highly likely that when someone with actual racing experience hits the track they are in fact a "better driver and tuner than anyone in the history of the LD9 engine."

Thank you Mr Myzie

Friday, November 08, 2013 12:05 PM
I don't want to start a war but I've ran high 14 s and my car isn't pushing 185 hp.

Friday, November 08, 2013 1:16 PM
I'm more than aware how air density and track elevation effect 1/4 mile times.

Quote:

I had a 97 saturn sc2 that ran 14.8 @91-92mph with just intake and exhaust, un-tuned.

You sir must be a damn good driver. Why are you a carpenter, and not a professional racing driver? -No honestly- Really, if you can drive half as good as you claim...why do you not have sponsors and do this for a living?

The reason why I say this. Even when GM had sponsored Quad 4 drag teams they were barely running better times with THOUSANDS more into the motor. When they did have sponsored n/a drivers they were only running high 13s to low 14s. With the limited Tables we have unlocked with HPTuners it is phenomenal if you make your car run this fast. I would pay you to tune my car. I'm being a 100% truthful. It has been a few years since I been to Jersey, and Atco Raceway.

I think I came across more of an ass than I really am. What your saying is very unbelievable. There has been many people claiming similar results over the years, and when it came to put up or shut up they had nothing. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but previous times do not agree with your times.

Schnupper wrote:I don't want to start a war but I've ran high 14 s and my car isn't pushing 185 hp.

Yours is very believable. You have more mods, a much lighter car, and have shown improvement every time you posted about your runs.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Friday, November 08, 2013 2:43 PM
Don't worry, I don't hate ya or anything lol, I'm just an honest guy who doesn't take any crap from anybody. I've dyno'd my saturn at 124.5 hp 118 tq to the wheels when I ran 14's and If i had to take an educated guess at the weight, it was between 2,520-2,550lb with me in it. (curb weight is 2,375 with a full tank of gas, I'm 200lb and I had 1/4 tank in it .) AC, full interior, etc etc.

My vette put down 362rwhp and 382 rwtq though a locked converter (alot less converter slip= higher numbers) and my raceweight with me in it, right after my 10.75 pass, was 2,950 lb.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I do have a reputation around my neck of the woods for being a great driver and a pretty darn good tuner too lol. I suppose some people pick up on it faster than others, but in the end, all it takes is some seat time. I'm always looking for ways to drop tenths and even hundredths off of my friend's times as well as mine.

I am curious about the hp output and weight of my car. I'm going to talk to one of my friends who has a shop with a dyno here in NJ and set up a time to put the z24 on the rollers. I might take a ride to a place that I know of which has a scale

Friday, November 08, 2013 5:37 PM
i wanna see you got me excited i will soo drive out there for a tune!

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, November 09, 2013 4:03 AM
Mike I ran a 14.8 on 143WHP, maybe 148 I would have to pull the dyno sheet.

Of course we do not know how actual power level, but with a good tune I bet the power will surprise some.

I know someone who picked up 8whp on a Ecotec with just a tune. Tell me more with mods like his couldn't be done.

FU Tuning

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:13 AM
dude nice damn times !!! i can believe you ran those times base on the slip 60 ft and trap speed. i ran 14.8 in my n/a 4dr eco cavy with bolt ons. my trap was 98 mph but 60ft 2.1 . what color is your car ?? i went to atco 2 times last month and saw some cavies but couldn't get to see them run. i drive a 4dr silver sc car i run 13.51 now .
Monday, November 18, 2013 2:20 PM
manny hernandez wrote:dude nice damn times !!! i can believe you ran those times base on the slip 60 ft and trap speed. i ran 14.8 in my n/a 4dr eco cavy with bolt ons. my trap was 98 mph but 60ft 2.1 . what color is your car ?? i went to atco 2 times last month and saw some cavies but couldn't get to see them run. i drive a 4dr silver sc car i run 13.51 now .

Thanks Manny. I ran on November 5th. I did see a guy with a video camera and it appeared as if he was following my car as I was approaching the burnout box. He might have recorded my pass, but I was so busy tuning my friends cars that I forgot to locate him and ask if he caught my pass on camera.

Based on what I've run with both of my saturns, and my 15.09 pass leading up to the 14.8, I knew a 14 second slip was feasible with my trap speed if I was able to get my 60' down into the 2.0 range. More often than not, alot of FWD racers end up mph'ing their way to an ET because of traction issues (usually due to the fact its front wheel drive and you have the weight going to the back tires instead of the front) Which can be fixed with a sticky tire, suspension, etc etc. Of course, you'll have the fast and the furious kids there dropping the clutch at 5-6k rpm on street tires and spinning/breaking axles/cv joints lol.

There are absolutely no secrets about my car. Weight wise, I only removed the spare tire and jack. Everything else was in the car. 1/4 tank of gas, stock wheels with 205 55 16 street tires. Just an intake, full exhaust and tune on the car. I'm going to look into a larger TB, underdrive pulley and a few other items too.

The Density Altitude was -1606' according to dragtimes DA calculator . The air and track prep were awesome that night. It's not uncommon to see the DA get down to -1800 to -2000' on certain days/nights here either

I just picked u another 97 saturn SC1 for a daily, so I most likely acquire a LSD insert and a more aggressive clutch, as my stocker didn't like the 4k rpm launch much lol

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:22 PM
Oh i forgot to add, My car is Cayenne Red Metallic

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search