ignition/passlock dirt track car - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ignition/passlock dirt track car
Saturday, September 26, 2015 6:25 PM
I am currently working on a 99 cavalier 2.2 5 spd. I have it completely stripped down. I was in the process of removing a whole bunch of excessive wiring. Somewhere in that process I made the vehicles anti theft system activate... I am assuming I did that by killing the battery and jump starting/charging the battery so much. I tried every possible way of re learning the original passlock system. I gave up on it, bought a new one and the exact same thing. No matter what I do I cannot get the anti theft light to go out. So as you all likely know, it will start but shut it self down 2 seconds after firing up.
Is there any way of bypassing the system completely? I would be willing to install a fuel pump switch and a push start type system... if that is possible. Has anyone else overcome this situation?

any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!

Re: ignition/passlock dirt track car
Saturday, October 10, 2015 5:42 PM
Either wire the pump to a toggle switch or find someone with HP tuners and bypass it. if you go hp tuner route on your 99 the entire IPC Logic chip gets bypassed, so if you plan on using the factory IPC your Tach and Temp gauges will no longer work. I went with HPtuners and reflashed PCM to a 2000+, wired in a base model BCM and mounted a 2000+ cluster in the center of the roll-cage dash bar. One other thing, it probably will not be a problem on dirt, but regardless the factory tank sucks for baffling, I was getting fuel delivery problems with 5-7 gallons still in the tank. But that's on asphalt pulling 1.7 g of cornering force. I don't know how long your races are either, but if your having starvation issues and plan on endurance racing, you really should consider a good fuel cell and a surge tank and wire in for a lift pump as well!
Saturday, October 10, 2015 8:50 PM
So you're saying that all the passlock system does is cut power to the fuel pump? If so, this could be an easy fix.
Tuesday, November 03, 2015 10:25 AM
Not exactly, that's part of the problem the other is the PCM looks for ~5v PWM signal for fuel enable, on key up, it shoots up to 5V and once module starts enabling, it changes into a pulse-train. With out Pulse the PCM cuts the Fuel pump and Injector pulse. If you get a re-flash you can run any gauges you want, if you bypass you have to use the factory Cluster or the will not run. Here is a Link to the bypass procedure.
Wednesday, December 09, 2015 9:28 PM
Joe Grimm wrote:Not exactly, that's part of the problem the other is the PCM looks for ~5v PWM signal for fuel enable, on key up, it shoots up to 5V and once module starts enabling, it changes into a pulse-train. With out Pulse the PCM cuts the Fuel pump and Injector pulse. If you get a re-flash you can run any gauges you want, if you bypass you have to use the factory Cluster or the will not run. Here is a Link to the bypass procedure.

I too am trying convert my 98 Cav. Sedan (2200SFI) to race at our local 1/3 mile asphalt track (Madera Speedway). This is my first race project - a Christmas Present for my wife to drive. I've removed almost all the interior, including the instrument cluster. I couldn't get it to start (engine would crank, run for 2 seconds then shut down). So I replaced the instrument cluster, and still couldn't get it to start. My Instrument Cluster has two harnesses which plug into it. One harness appears to have about 10 wires or so and the other only three (I think). I had forgotten to plug in the three wire harness to cluster. It has a yellow wire so I believe it carries the anti-theft signal. When plugged it back in, the engine started a runs fine. I then tried, WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, unplugging both harnesses from the cluster. I shut the engine off and restarted it. It runs fine with no cluster being plugged in at all. I have also unplugged a small harness from the key area (the one with the yellow wire). Again - it runs fine.

I'm not exactly sure what I have accomplished here. Have I bypassed or disabled the anti-theft system? If I disconnect the battery and loosed whatever memory the PCU has, will I lock myself out? I would like to be able to have the stock cluster removed and set up some basic aftermarket gauges in a metal panel. Is my only hope to reflash, as suggested, given that I was the vehicle running with no cluster?

Thank you
Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:28 PM
I would test it. It may have thrown a body code that allows a bypass in a last known passing PKII active state? Never tried that method before. I would like to know if it runs again after the KAM is cleared...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search