What happens when components fail. (Pics!) - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What happens when components fail. (Pics!)
Friday, April 15, 2011 9:50 AM
*sigh* Not sure what exactly happened but either the tie rod or the wheel bearing came apart.... you can't tell from the pics but the wheel is loose as can be. This happened accelerating up to speed on the highway. Looking at the tire marks on the road.... the wheel was going side to side, if you look close the outer edge of the tire is ate up from being on it's side.

The RKsport hood actually held up and stayed latched.....

Guess I won't have to worry about the scratch in the fender anymore..... .

Probably soon to be a part out post up in the Northern VA area.

Re: What happens when components fail. (Pics!)
Friday, April 15, 2011 2:10 PM
Sucks about the car... Nobody hurt I hope.
Friday, April 15, 2011 11:41 PM
Damn man.... glad you are ok though!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:35 PM
So what exactly happened? Did you not feel/hear the wheel wobbling? Did it make your brakes not work, I just cant see how a wobbling wheel could make you crash this bad unless you were driving crazy on it.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:08 PM
If you are like me, music was up loud and you didnt hear a thing. Are your roads crappy too? also if it is lowered (like me) you wont know if its riding wrong cuz the ride is normaly so bad. Good luck, if you plan to part it out let me know!

Fireboy153
Brady Fire Co. - Station 150
Long Live The Sunflower! (yea its not so "cool")
Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:30 PM
Damn man. I am glad your alright. Let us know what gave loose if you can. Did your airbags deploy? Kinda looks like it.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:56 PM
Wow man at least youre ok. Just take it easy its just a car compare to a life!!!

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/653/2569/39131284001_medium.jpg
Born to race, But raise to win!!!
Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:22 PM
freelancer1988 wrote:Damn man. I am glad your alright. Let us know what gave loose if you can. Did your airbags deploy? Kinda looks like it.

Im gonna put money they did not go off, our air bags, atleast the passenger one destroys the windshield....and yes with the music up you hear nothing, but wobbling wheel pretty sure you'd feel lol but glad you're ok.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:59 PM
Wow man, sorry to see that. Glad your okay.

And as for ^^^^^^ trying to say someone was driving bad, he needs to just back out and be reallllllllyyyyyy quiet lol.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:06 PM
If the wheel was worn on the outside edge then it was a toe issue to begin with and you should have checked tie rods. If the wheel/rotor will just pull off once you take the caliper off then it was wheel bearing failure.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:26 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:
freelancer1988 wrote:Damn man. I am glad your alright. Let us know what gave loose if you can. Did your airbags deploy? Kinda looks like it.

Im gonna put money they did not go off, our air bags, atleast the passenger one destroys the windshield....and yes with the music up you hear nothing, but wobbling wheel pretty sure you'd feel lol but glad you're ok.

I'll take that bet.

And now I'd like to point out you can see the drivers airbag in the last pic...

Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:00 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:Wow man, sorry to see that. Glad your okay.

And as for ^^^^^^ trying to say someone was driving bad, he needs to just back out and be reallllllllyyyyyy quiet lol.

I wasn't saying he was driving bad, I was asking....When my wheel was loose, i knew right away, when my wheel bearing was bad, i knew something was wrong right away...ive never had a problem with tie rods or ball joints so i cant say i know how they feel.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:48 AM
tie rods and ball joints give u a shimmy at highway speeds and sometimes a clunk while turning. a wheel bearing, i have seen 1000's of times, will make noise and sometimes will cause a vibration. I have seen enough to know this guy may have not had more then just noise. especially if he had the radio up loud then it wouldnt have been more then a noise. I have seen them have no more then a noise and then boom, let go. if this guy had no mechanical knowlegde then it could happen.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 8:06 PM
sucks to see. where in va are you? and got any before pics?

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:37 PM
Lets see here... yes the airbag went off..... I had no passenger side airbag in at the time, so it didn't deploy (yes yes... I NEVER have any passengers or I'd not take or put anyone under that risk)

No one got hurt besides myself, just some very sore ribs/neck/back/missing skin on my shin, which I am grateful for. If it had been a busier time of day, or I'd been going faster..... I'm very glad with the incident happening when it did that no one else was hurt or even hit.

No I didn't feel anything odd that would indicate such a severe problem, and yes I typically have very loud music going....

Funny you say that Sneezy, I kept having clunks turning tightly into parking spaces, knew it was a problem, I figured it was ball joints, which I have new sitting here, waiting on when I found someone to weld my aluminum grand am control arms... *sigh* Quite a few unfinished projects here now.

As far as mechanical knowledge, I've done quite a bit to this cavy.... kyb agx/prokit, strut bars front and back, trunk bar with connecting bars, rear wheel bearings,(rear tie bar which I later removed), motor mounts,replaced head gasket..... simple things like that, not saying I know all that much though.

I know it's going to be thought too since I am thinking it now.... no I didn't see anything that was severely wore down when I did the struts/springs.

For now it has a car cover hiding it from my view Once I feel like doing something with it, I'll let you guys know what exactly failed.

Tabs... love your car man...I was considering snagging that 3 piece spoiler you had up for sale recently (I think that was you..) and I'm in the western part of VA, about 60miles from DC. I'm sure I have some type of before pics somewhere around here....
Monday, April 18, 2011 3:41 PM
Its going to be real hard to figure out what broke before the accident and what broke after.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, April 18, 2011 4:26 PM
So true....
Monday, April 18, 2011 8:29 PM
Richard K wrote:Lets see here... yes the airbag went off..... I had no passenger side airbag in at the time, so it didn't deploy (yes yes... I NEVER have any passengers or I'd not take or put anyone under that risk)

No one got hurt besides myself, just some very sore ribs/neck/back/missing skin on my shin, which I am grateful for. If it had been a busier time of day, or I'd been going faster..... I'm very glad with the incident happening when it did that no one else was hurt or even hit.

No I didn't feel anything odd that would indicate such a severe problem, and yes I typically have very loud music going....

Funny you say that Sneezy, I kept having clunks turning tightly into parking spaces, knew it was a problem, I figured it was ball joints, which I have new sitting here, waiting on when I found someone to weld my aluminum grand am control arms... *sigh* Quite a few unfinished projects here now.

As far as mechanical knowledge, I've done quite a bit to this cavy.... kyb agx/prokit, strut bars front and back, trunk bar with connecting bars, rear wheel bearings,(rear tie bar which I later removed), motor mounts,replaced head gasket..... simple things like that, not saying I know all that much though.

I know it's going to be thought too since I am thinking it now.... no I didn't see anything that was severely wore down when I did the struts/springs.

For now it has a car cover hiding it from my view Once I feel like doing something with it, I'll let you guys know what exactly failed.

Tabs... love your car man...I was considering snagging that 3 piece spoiler you had up for sale recently (I think that was you..) and I'm in the western part of VA, about 60miles from DC. I'm sure I have some type of before pics somewhere around here....

Hey man, I wasnt saying you didnt have any idea about working on cars, I was just saying its possible for a car to have minimal symptoms and let go. Also to shut up the idiot above because he clearly has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to cars. And that is not ment towards you Richard. Lol, no worries man, im just really glad to see you not badly hurt. A car being damaged is one thing, but your life is alot more important.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:58 AM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:
Hey man, I wasnt saying you didnt have any idea about working on cars, I was just saying its possible for a car to have minimal symptoms and let go. Also to shut up the idiot above because he clearly has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to cars. And that is not ment towards you Richard. Lol, no worries man, im just really glad to see you not badly hurt. A car being damaged is one thing, but your life is alot more important.

I appreciate that, I didn't mean to come off so defensive if I did so either. I was just trying to cover everything that was posted while I was gone.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:16 PM
Haha no worries bud.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 4:29 PM
I had what turned out to be a wheel bearing making clunking noises for almost 6 months before I finally figured out what it was an replaced it. went thru 3 in a yr after my buddy told me what happens when a wheel bearing lets loose, I've had a fear of it happening to me on the highway or on a twisty road somewhere

very interested to see what was the culprit in this case

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance

Monday, May 30, 2011 12:17 PM
so part out??????

if so i got dibs on the green wire loom, hub caps, green painted mirror sails, and the busted ass rk hood.

jkjkjk. glad your'e ok.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:44 PM
blucavvy wrote:so part out??????
if so i got dibs on the green wire loom, hub caps, green painted mirror sails, and the busted ass rk hood.
jkjkjk. glad your'e ok.

Heh, I was planning on swapping the loom for a nice black.... and I HATED the black mirror sails... thought they looked so cheap.....
I'll cut you a deal on the three remaining hub caps and pieces of the hood. (jk of course, it it wasn't obvious...)

Really I was hoping I could just sell the car whole, still a lot of good aftermarket (most suspension) parts on it, I don't feel like taking parts off *shrugs*. It's just gonna sit here for a while apparently. I already got a new dd, pisses me off even looking at the cavi but I want more than a couple hundred in scrap, have a lot more money in parts than that.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search