Yikes - Page 3 - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Yikes
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:17 AM
FireRedCav wrote:

blucavvy wrote:

Josh Cunningham wrote:

there is no way this accident was caused by "having stock shocks/struts on lowering springs", there are a number of other factors that could have caused it though.


care to explain mr expert?


When the "future" of someones car involves "blue interior pieces, seat covers, blue pedals" chances are he doesnt know crap about why to fork out money on a good suspension set up.

thank you for reminding me on that, i've got to update my profile.

anyways, how could riding on stock shocks/struts plus lowering springs possibly cause this? lowering the ride height of your car changes the center of gravity of the body, as well as "improves" handling. springs only lower the vehicle's height from the ground, while the most softness/stiffness of the ride comes from the shock/strut. for the past month, for example, i've been on eibach sportline springs with stock shocks/struts as i was torn between coilovers or just lowering shocks. my rear shocks are halfway to being blown at this point, yet the vehicle is still comfortable and safe to drive as a daily. it just makes the ride really rough. unless you are taking corners at over 100kmph, you should still have no problem controlling the vehicle, even if it rides as rough as an "empty gravel truck". hence why it doesn't make sense how the suspension would be the lone fault of the accident, unless a part actually broke off, ie. a spring snapped or shock mount broke.

and because you asked, my cavalier is remaining basicly stock, as the j-body is a terrible platform to modify

Re: Yikes
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:47 AM
Josh Cunningham wrote:

FireRedCav wrote:

blucavvy wrote:

Josh Cunningham wrote:

there is no way this accident was caused by "having stock shocks/struts on lowering springs", there are a number of other factors that could have caused it though.


care to explain mr expert?


When the "future" of someones car involves "blue interior pieces, seat covers, blue pedals" chances are he doesnt know crap about why to fork out money on a good suspension set up.

thank you for reminding me on that, i've got to update my profile.

anyways, how could riding on stock shocks/struts plus lowering springs possibly cause this? lowering the ride height of your car changes the center of gravity of the body, as well as "improves" handling. springs only lower the vehicle's height from the ground, while the most softness/stiffness of the ride comes from the shock/strut. for the past month, for example, i've been on eibach sportline springs with stock shocks/struts as i was torn between coilovers or just lowering shocks. my rear shocks are halfway to being blown at this point, yet the vehicle is still comfortable and safe to drive as a daily. it just makes the ride really rough. unless you are taking corners at over 100kmph, you should still have no problem controlling the vehicle, even if it rides as rough as an "empty gravel truck". hence why it doesn't make sense how the suspension would be the lone fault of the accident, unless a part actually broke off, ie. a spring snapped or shock mount broke.

and because you asked, my cavalier is remaining basicly stock, as the j-body is a terrible platform to modify


i'm not sure you could be more contradictory if you tried.



JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Re: Yikes
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:56 AM
He must not know about incorrect spring rates and blown shocks. Yeah, they ride awesome.



Re: Yikes
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:36 AM
i know enough about suspension to understand the fact that aftermarket springs on stock shocks cannot be the sole cause of a vehicle to flip multiple times without another contributing factor..

regardless, good to see the driver is ok, that car is ruined.
Re: Yikes
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:04 AM
Josh Cunningham wrote:

i know enough about suspension to understand the fact that aftermarket springs on stock shocks cannot be the sole cause of a vehicle to flip multiple times without another contributing factor..

regardless, good to see the driver is ok, that car is ruined.



You're right. A car just sitting with drop springs one stock dampers will not roll multiple times. However, if you do something stupid with it, say actually drive it that way...



JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Re: Yikes
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:24 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

Josh Cunningham wrote:

i know enough about suspension to understand the fact that aftermarket springs on stock shocks cannot be the sole cause of a vehicle to flip multiple times without another contributing factor..

regardless, good to see the driver is ok, that car is ruined.



You're right. A car just sitting with drop springs one stock dampers will not roll multiple times. However, if you do something stupid with it, say actually drive it that way...


well i've read the basic suspension how-to's and FAQs and cannot find the answer myself. i don't know much about suspension components, so i'm curious as to how this works. would he have possibly had, for ex., the back end bouncing so much on the stock dampeners that it hopped sideways during a corner and the back end kicked out? that's the only way i can see something like this happening.
Re: Yikes
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 2:23 PM
it only takes one momentary loss of traction for what happened in this thread to happen. one bounce, one dip, one split second the tire loses contact with the road.



JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Re: Yikes
Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:35 PM
The answer is HE CUT HIS LOWERING SPRINGS to go lower, and on STOCK blown struts = not safe. That is all



A J-body owner since 1998
91 cavy, 99 sunfire, 00 cavy
06 cobalt SS/SC YELLOW
09 cobalt SS/TC sedan WHITE 1 of 41
Re: Yikes
Monday, September 12, 2011 5:44 AM
Josh Cunningham wrote:

Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

Josh Cunningham wrote:

i know enough about suspension to understand the fact that aftermarket springs on stock shocks cannot be the sole cause of a vehicle to flip multiple times without another contributing factor..

regardless, good to see the driver is ok, that car is ruined.



You're right. A car just sitting with drop springs one stock dampers will not roll multiple times. However, if you do something stupid with it, say actually drive it that way...


well i've read the basic suspension how-to's and FAQs and cannot find the answer myself. i don't know much about suspension components, so i'm curious as to how this works. would he have possibly had, for ex., the back end bouncing so much on the stock dampeners that it hopped sideways during a corner and the back end kicked out? that's the only way i can see something like this happening.


I had my old cavalier running lowering springs on stock struts for 2 years and i the can't tell you how many times i had the rear bounce once the struts were blown, and if i hit a bump going around a corner with enough speed i did have the arse end slide, and in one situation come right around on me... so it's very well possible that if he hit a dip in the road when he came out of it, the car bounced, went sideways, hit another bump or curb or something and i think you can figure it out from there.



96 2.2L, #66 on the dirt track
Re: Yikes
Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:46 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:

Wow, im glad he is ok, but didnt he drop the car on stock struts??? If so, then i think someone needs to keep those pics and show to the next idiot that says im gonna drop my car on stock stuff. Glad he is ok, really I am, I hate to see anyones car that way, but on the same aspect, thats what he gets if he was on stock struts and a drop.


this is why i have AGX's in my car and a nice bill to pay off, way to make me do things the right way jbo, yah dick.


nah i kid, i like knowing i did things the safe way, no matter how broke i am now
Re: Yikes
Friday, October 07, 2011 5:47 PM
I had cheap ebay coilovers on stock struts when I first lowered my car...I never even read the faq. It rode like crap and I can say in hindsight as bouncy as that ride was im lucky i didnt end up that way.





Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search