Good bye j-body - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Good bye j-body
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:13 PM
Well guys its been fun... Im gettin rid of my j tomorrow.. But have no fear i will be buyin a sunburst orange 06 cobalt... its been fun on here and you guys have been a big help... thanks for everything.

Re: Good bye j-body
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:12 PM
Good luck....cobalts are nice...

Not keeping the cav as a beater?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 4:25 PM
another one down,

good luck on the cobalt.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 6:44 PM
nope they took it off my hands.. which was a good thing cause i only had 10,000 miles left on the warrenty and ive had all kinds of problems with this one and it was wrecked so i traded it in and got a sunburst orange cobalt

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:01 PM
Traitor!

Why can't you still hang around here? I don't have a J-Body anymore but I'm still hangin around......

Saturday, January 28, 2006 5:58 PM
Bought a Cobalt a week ago, as far as I am concerned it is a Cavalier. I don't know how many times I have called it a Cavalier already. Why they felt a need to change the name of one of the best selling cars ever is beyond me!
Saturday, February 04, 2006 6:39 PM
^^ GM isn't doing very smart things lately. Their first mistake was getting rid of the Camaro and replacing w/ a more expensive car which is the SSR while at the same time is twice the gas guzzler. That might explain the name change on the Cavalier.

OBJECTS ON MIRROR ARE FORDS AND HONDAS
Saturday, February 04, 2006 7:29 PM
I think GM changed the Cavalier name because they were not proud of Cavaliers in the past...

Now, I defend Cavaliers to the last word everytime I hear someone say, "Cavaqueers" or "Cavaliers are junk, buy a Honda"... Unfortunately, that really does seem to be the common idea about the name "Cavalier" When someone says it, the first thing they think of is the beat up 96 3rd Gen 2.2 OHV that some annoying jerk drives that has a fart can. peeling window tint and a giant rear wing and thinks his car can beat anything on the road. Unfortunately, so so many in the market to buy a new "sport compact" have this opinion of the J-Body that GM felt it needed to axe the name so people would forget that they were living in the stone age all the way up to 2002 model year, while trying to compete with the Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Dodge Neon, etc. with a chassis that dated back to the early 80s, a motor that was so outdated, people looked at you like you had 3 heads when you told them you have a PUSHROD 4 CYLINDER! GM screwed up by not updating the cavalier a long, long time ago and now they just want people to banish their old ideas about GM sport compacts and think new. They knew very few people in the sport compact market would buy a 2006 Cavalier even if it did have a brand new chassis and a new, modern DOHC mill. This is especially true since GM wanted to put out a top-of-the-line supercharged model that cost over $20k. They knew nobody would buy a $20k+ car with the Cavalier name on it.

Thats my theory.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 3:37 PM
I believe you are right about why they did it, I don't agree with them though. If I thought the Cavalier was crap I would not have bought a Cobalt. The Cobalt is basically a Cavalier with a new name, a marketing ploy, even had a GM marketing person tell me that at a GM car show in motion, while she was riding with me when I drove the SSR.
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:45 PM
well it's a totally new platform too though... the GM Delta platform.. even though the 'tards forgot to make it independent rear suspension... which I still can't figure out...

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:41 PM
The fourth letter of your VIN is J, you're stickin around

Friday, February 10, 2006 10:42 AM
Tim wrote:well it's a totally new platform too though... the GM Delta platform.. even though the 'tards forgot to make it independent rear suspension... which I still can't figure out...

Forgot, eh?

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 12:51 AM
Tim wrote:...the first thing they think of is the beat up 96 3rd Gen 2.2 OHV that some annoying jerk drives that has a fart can. peeling window tint and a giant rear wing and thinks his car can beat anything on the road.

that kinda sounds like me except for the jerk, peeling window tint, an thinking that it can beat anything (because it cant)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search