Car Accident - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car Accident
Saturday, July 29, 2006 7:38 AM
Well i have gotten into a second accident this year. Again not my fault. To make the story short it was raining and dogs were crossing the road. Im guessing the boxvan that was going the oppisite direction wasnt paying attention and realised it too late. He swerved and slamed on his brakes skidding into my lane and hitting the rear drivers side quarter panel. I was trying to get out of the way. He also hit the car behind me in the same place, also trying to get out of the way. All vehicle were towed off unable to be driven. The car behind me is totaled for sure. It was a ford focus. It suffered a bit more damage than me. I got spun around he didnt so my accident had less energy. But i slammed my head into the window and was sent to the hospital. Im ok now, but still am pretty hurt.

I went to the tow yard yesterday. What i had seen while I was at the tow yard getting my things out of the car was, it need a complete rear quartepanel replacement (quarter pane is part of the car), new wheel, new tire, new hub cap, has a bent axle, the the shock/spring may need to be replaced, needs a new tail light, trunk wont open, need a new rear bumper and bumper support, and a paint job to match. KBB sets the value of the car at $9035. The question is can all this be done for $5420.99 or less? I hope so, but its not realistic. I owe more on the car than it was worth, good thing i got gap insurance. If the car is salvagable i am still screwed. I lost my warrenty & extended warrenty and the car will never be the same. Ill get pictures soon, I didnt take any but the driver of the car behind me did. And I see him about every day because he is my sisters boyfriend.

--------------------------------------
04 Cavalier LS Sport- Red with factory silver stripes.
16.186 @ 86.98mph

Re: Car Accident
Saturday, July 29, 2006 7:40 AM
Oh and i forgot to add its loss of value due to the accident.

16.186 @ 86.98mph
Saturday, July 29, 2006 9:21 AM
Damaged Quarter Panel usually means the car is totaled.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 9:41 AM
Saturday, July 29, 2006 10:02 AM
Yeah sounds like a whole quarter of your car is wrecked = totalled = insurance company pays out...

Saturday, July 29, 2006 10:51 AM
= that im screwed without a running car.

I didnt know we had a wreck forum. Sorry bout that.

16.186 @ 86.98mph
Sunday, July 30, 2006 10:39 AM
Your not screwed cause you owe on the car, thats the point of gap insurance. If the car is totalled, your insurance pays what its worth before the accident, and then your finance company fills in the rest. You are set back at $0, but you don't have a car. Worst case scenerio, go finance another car :-(
Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:01 AM
i would think you could sue for the price you paid for the car its not your fualt idiot hit you his insurance should cover all of it. if he has any but i 'm not sure how that works.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:12 AM
JuggaloZeke wrote:Damaged Quarter Panel usually means the car is totaled.

Funny I've been working as a bodyman for 15 years and replace 1/4 panels all the time. Do to hits, rust. etc 1/4 panels have nothing to do with writing off a car as to steering, frame, engine airbags, those will writing a car off alot faster. airbags don't have a aftermarket seller are a bodyshop willing to buy them 2nd hand and install them without breaking the law. so you'll end up paying for GM steering assm. and a front windsheld for the airbag breaking it etc etc

Whats a 1/4 panel You take the trunk lid off and bang the back side and get the dents out or cut the thing off Any floor damage you pull out on the frame rack tack weld a new panel on and shes ready 4 paint

Tinytim see if you can talk to the adjuster that is looking into your policy and car he is the one that can play with the cost go with aftermarket parts or even scrap yard prices I.E. bumper, tail light...see what you can save on just don't put used brake pads on lol but you got the meaning i hope It helps more than (Dude your cars a write off!)

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Sunday, July 30, 2006 2:08 PM
car crash pic

here is a crappy cell phone picture, but you get the idea.

16.186 @ 86.98mph
Monday, August 14, 2006 4:00 AM
Jimmaaaay! wrote:
JuggaloZeke wrote:Damaged Quarter Panel usually means the car is totaled.

Funny I've been working as a bodyman for 15 years and replace 1/4 panels all the time. Do to hits, rust. etc 1/4 panels have nothing to do with writing off a car as to steering, frame, engine airbags, those will writing a car off alot faster. airbags don't have a aftermarket seller are a bodyshop willing to buy them 2nd hand and install them without breaking the law. so you'll end up paying for GM steering assm. and a front windsheld for the airbag breaking it etc etc

Whats a 1/4 panel You take the trunk lid off and bang the back side and get the dents out or cut the thing off Any floor damage you pull out on the frame rack tack weld a new panel on and shes ready 4 paint

Tinytim see if you can talk to the adjuster that is looking into your policy and car he is the one that can play with the cost go with aftermarket parts or even scrap yard prices I.E. bumper, tail light...see what you can save on just don't put used brake pads on lol but you got the meaning i hope It helps more than (Dude your cars a write off!)
On a J-Body, quarter panel damage repair usually would be estimated at a very high cost to repair due the to the fact that that whole panel is welded on and would have to be cut off to be repaired properly or even replaced, in which case it would still need to be cut off. Thus, any serious damage to the quarter panel can easily total the car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search