damage isnt too bad... - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
damage isnt too bad...
Monday, September 11, 2006 7:12 AM
but i have a feelng im going to have to pay for it. so here's what happened: i go into work last friday (the night the remnants of ernesto came across cape may county), and around two a.m., one of the other employees comes in and says one of the cart return canopies has blown across the parking lot. im thinking great, my windshields broke, hood smashed in, etc etc... (was really worried) i go out to check, and this is what i see (took pictures later in the day because camera doesnt have a flash)

now i know the damage is purely cosmetic, but still. the inner splash guard keeps rubbing on my tire. so i wait five days and call the store's insurance company to see how things are going. i cant get in touch with a human, as if i were the last one on the planet or something. i go into work the next night, ask the other guy who's truck got hit, he says that when he talked to them, they said it was probably gonig to be denied, due to an "act of god". BUT, im thinking to myself, this is a STRUCTURE!!! its supposed to be bolted int the ground, and secured using any means possible. so, in the end, i think im going to have to end up footing the bill for a new front bumper cover and a pair of corner lenses.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!

Re: damage isnt too bad...
Monday, September 11, 2006 8:31 AM
I wouldnt sit down and take this. Im not sure how much damage there is, but if its costly enough just go to a lawyer. You can sue them.

My Moms yukon was hit back in 03. It wasnt even a week old yet, and the cart corral slid right into her. It did about 1200 in damage. They refused to pay and she threatend to sue. It didnt take long for them to fork over some money.

Even better case, my buddys truck got hit by a shopping cart in a bad storm. They refused to pay because
1. Someone else left that cart there.
2. The wind blew it, they cant control the wind.

It didnt do much damage, but the price of the light an body work added up to over a grand and he got a lawyer. He said it doesnt matter because its THE STORES RESPONIBILITY to take care of that stuff. It was on there property so therefore they are responsible for having the carts put away. They even have full times guys who do that. They didnt want to get wet and neglected there duties. That one ended up going to court and they won.

Monday, September 11, 2006 8:34 AM
yah.. thats kinda my next step. unions are great arent they? anyway, i called the LP people agan today and got the number for the adjuster, i left him a message, we'll see what happens.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:39 PM
That sucks, but thats what the plastic bumpers aka training bumpers are for

goodluck though.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:43 PM
got an estimate today, $713... i payed $200 for the car... im not suprised, but im getting all new parts from gm... new bumper cover, new corner lens, new splash guard, even the little plastic attachment piecesim getting another estimate tomorrow, just to see the ballpark...

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:04 PM
Rosario
what lawyer u know that can get around cart damage? Its posted in almost every retail place u park at your own risk. this guy might have some luck since it was something that should have been secured and wasn't, but shopping cart damage I've never even heard of someone winning a case like that due to the fact the clearly state the risk.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:21 PM
I could understand that, but this was a cart RETURN, one of those big metal canopies, that was supposed to be bolted in the ground, but wasn't.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:25 AM
see...

did not hit my car, but

did, minus the crazy she-pirate who thinks its her ship...

as well as an update, the adjuster got back to me, and told me to fax him the estimates ive gotten. so, the one i have for $700 is for all the parts, but i got one today for like $260, but thats just for the bumper...

Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:21 PM
Go find the highest estimate. Send that to them. Then take the car to the cheapest place. Saves you money for mods.

OR
Find the highest. Send them that estimate. Fix the car yourself. Even more money for mods.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:30 PM
Theo wrote:Rosario
what lawyer u know that can get around cart damage? Its posted in almost every retail place u park at your own risk. this guy might have some luck since it was something that should have been secured and wasn't, but shopping cart damage I've never even heard of someone winning a case like that due to the fact the clearly state the risk.

A cousin of mine. Three are laywers and my uncles a Supreme Court Justice For NYS. So im pretty set when it comes to legal council.

It wasnt a huge battle or anything. No signs are up, and the carts are there responibility..

Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:27 PM
STLWACO (Mike S) wrote:Go find the highest estimate. Send that to them. Then take the car to the cheapest place. Saves you money for mods.

OR
Find the highest. Send them that estimate. Fix the car yourself. Even more money for mods.

that last part sounds like a good idea, since the drivers side splash guard is rubbing on the tire... and none of the shops i go to will take that into account, they'll replace the splach guard, but are saying nothing about the tire...

Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:28 PM
and i honestly have to ask... that doesnt sound very legal to me...

Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:34 PM
Dude, those bumpers are like 25 bucks at a junkyard (or here on the org)...a new set of corner lenses are just as much. That's not that big of a bill to foot...

Thursday, September 14, 2006 5:42 PM
i know that, but its not my bill to foot. it wasnt my fault.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:09 PM
hehe. hell ill GIVE you the parts. just pay shipping to get them outt my hands and there yours. but sucks nonetheless

Saturday, September 16, 2006 5:34 PM
Alright. seriously. WTF?!?!? i go to get my dinner tonight, park, get out of my car, just in time to turn around and see this chick in a black bmw suv back right into my drivers side tail. now im really starting to get pissed. i was ok with the bumper. but now, two in such a short period is too much.

i feel like... well.. i dont know what i feeling right now.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 5:38 PM
Did you get her plates?

Saturday, September 16, 2006 5:40 PM
oh, she stopped and i got all the information. ive already started the claim. im not sitting back on this one.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 6:02 PM
by the way, and i hope the anwyer's yes, but does everyone think they'll be able to pull the wrinkles out of the metal around the tail? i hope i hope i hope... i love this car, and do not want anything to happen to it...

Saturday, October 07, 2006 5:41 PM
well i FINALLY got a call back fromher insurance company, allstate, they dont want to pay the $1078 estimate price, they said it was much too high and someone will be out between monday and friday to look at it. can they honestly do that? it's almost as if they're saying to me "listen, we know how much it's gonna cost, but we dont think its worth it. we'll send someone over totalk to you and try and look for things wrong with your car so we dont have to pay you anything, so thisrich $%&* that hit you doesnt have to payanything, and make you pay for it on your own." do i have any legal type actions? (union lawyers are the best)

Saturday, October 07, 2006 8:07 PM
its a lot easier if you file the claim with your insurance. they'll fix your car and then go after the other persons insurance. thats what i did when my car got hit. i didn't even have to pay my deductible.

GO PATS!!!

Saturday, October 07, 2006 8:13 PM
thats exactly what i did... but i only have liability... comp/collision are like another $500/ea for 6 mos...

Sunday, October 08, 2006 7:11 AM
that shouldn't matter. all you're doing is reporting it to your insurance so that they'll handle it for you...

GO PATS!!!
Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:01 PM
well, small update on the tail, its currently in the shop right now, has been since yesterday morning, and i will say that while im glad the car's being fixed, it REALLY sucks not being able to go anywhere. i think i've spent like 10-12 hours on teh site today... i keep calling the adjuster for the front bumper, and he keeps teling me there's more info he needs from the store in order to cut a check... . i know that the info has been sent to him on at least three separate occasions. next step IS to lawyer up.

Friday, October 20, 2006 2:16 PM

ive done body work before, and made it look good, but damn, this guy is freakin insane. there's not a single wave, no pits, and the paint is spot on color matched. he did the entire rear quarter. it's absolutely beautiful. it's aligned better than it was from the factory, and has a brand new tail light. final cost: $1039 out the door. but its ok, i didnt pay for it. honestly, i think i've found my body shop.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search