Project; Roll Over, Now with better Pics! - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Project; Roll Over, Now with better Pics!
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:05 PM
as you can see, i started to strip the car down!

and to my amazement, the damn sunroof still functions as if there it no roof damage! lol

on with the pics!

as you can also see, all the force and impact was localized to the front windshield/driver area, and the ait bags didnt even pop, which is still shocking!

the damage isnt as bad as it looks in the pics, it just needs the roof replaced, and it's a good car again

NOW the question, should i stick with a cavalier roof, or should i slap on a sunfire roof?

Kardain wrote:Tonite on Fox:
When X's attack

Re: Project; Roll Over, Now with better Pics!
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:13 PM
Wow that is quite a bang that car took!! Do the airbags only go off from frontal impacts? Hope you get it all squared away. That's hilarious the sunroof still slides.

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:16 PM
yeah i say pull the drivetrain, interior, and rear end pieces and junk the rest

Z24 Cardomain Site ll ZQ8 Car Domain Site
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:40 PM
New roof?

Try..

Roof
Hood
Front Bumper
Both Front Fenders
Both doors
Both rear quarter panels

Yeah, pull the drivetrain, junk the car.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:47 PM
Yeah dude that car needs more then a roof...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:54 PM
i dunno that looks like a lost cause to me

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:02 PM
Yes, the airbags only go off for front impacts.

That's crazy

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:04 PM
Shifted wrote:New roof?

Try..

Roof
Hood
Front Bumper
Both Front Fenders
Both doors
Both rear quarter panels

Yeah, pull the drivetrain, junk the car.

Plus the glass. If you think that you are just going to cut this roof off and weld and new one on you are going to be very sad. I promise you that it will not line up at all. If you get a new roof/doors I bet you still have 60+ hours of work on that baby. And if you don't have a welder and know how to weld this together yourself then you are really screwed because the cost to get it welded will be crazy. I agree with the guys that maybe you should pull the drivetrain and whatever else is possible and scrap the body. Man if you have the skills/money/time to do it, then it should be a hell of a project. Just my 2 cents.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:16 PM
Dick Johnson wrote:
the damage isnt as bad as it looks in the pics, it just needs the roof replaced, and it's a good car again

good luck with it man...

-----------
ayo 8 Iz Enuff
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:19 PM
haha, i have the doors covered already, the front bumper i have a few aftermarket ones laying around, and that stock front bumper aint even scratched! hood, i have 2 stock ones laying around, fenders, that same, i have a few from ViS

so all i really need is a roof and my cuzin is a professional welder, so i can get him over to weld it for me.

and this is from the original post i posted last nite of the car.

Dick Johnson wrote:haha, i couldnt go wrong for the price of this cav

its a 2000, 2dr, with 4spd auto, 2200 2.2L with 47K on it.

paid $400 for it, it still runs & drives!

i am gona to start striping it down tomorrow for the engine/tranny/ecu/harness/ etc for the swap into my 96.

but i will also start making this into a Perminet Hard Top! [just wait till you all see what i'll be swaping into this, it will also be getting a widebody treatment along with new tail lights & complete front end swap from a different car

When X's attack

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:34 PM
It would only be worth it if you chop the top. Other than that the body is worth more as scrap metal.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:30 PM
Seriously, that car probably has more alignment issues than you think. I'd be surprised if the firewall hasn't moved a little just from the pulling of the pillar when the roof crushed. Also the door jams are probably no longer the exact shape.

Good luck with it. I would suggest getting the front fenders off and taking measurements of the engine bay before putting any more time and effort into it. If they are not factory specs, I'd strip all thats good from the car and junk the shell.

As far as what roof, you know they're the same, right? The difference is the filler panel for the rear quarter glass.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 7:35 AM
well i decided to strip it complete down. and just keep the shell for verious other parts when the time comes, specialy if i get another rear ended cav, i can use this back end to fix it

the engine/trans/engine & body harness/headlights will be swaped into my 96 this week. (once thats complete, then in about 6 months or so i'll be swaping in a ecotec engine )

When X's attack

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:03 AM
Well, it sucks that you aren't going to fix it I was interested.

I was gonna say those fenders and quarters can easily be saved and replacing the roof of a rollover is not that hard people. I rolled an S-10 a couple of years ago and fixed it, the roof was touching the steering wheel. The fix only took 4 months too.

However, I had to save that truck because I had too much invested and only liability insurance, since you have very little money in this car maybe you are best to just use it for parts. I just thought it was funny that everyone freaked out about how huge of a project it would be.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 2:15 PM
at least the inteior pillar is still good (how is a freakin merical

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:59 PM
yeah um dont waste your time

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:09 PM
while ur at it if u can do a whole different style of roof like a gto or g6 sumthin difficult since ur gunna have to cut and weld n e ways

cardomain.com/id/cavilac04
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:46 PM
yenkosuprcar wrote:Well, it sucks that you aren't going to fix it I was interested.

I was gonna say those fenders and quarters can easily be saved and replacing the roof of a rollover is not that hard people. I rolled an S-10 a couple of years ago and fixed it, the roof was touching the steering wheel. The fix only took 4 months too.

However, I had to save that truck because I had too much invested and only liability insurance, since you have very little money in this car maybe you are best to just use it for parts. I just thought it was funny that everyone freaked out about how huge of a project it would be.

well, its just put on the back burners right now [it will be getting all new convertible sheet metal [windshield frame] and convertible doors. the front end is gona be reworked so i can do a 1st ever ITR front end (YES, a integra Type R!), talk all the @!#$ you want about that front end conversion, i dont care, i'll be driving the car NOT you! and if i can ever get my hands on a toyota cavalier front clip, i'll be going RHD with the car! the tail lights will be replaced with s2000 tails, as far as the engine goes, i might go Eco, or even a 3800 S/C

well this is my last post untill the 1st, so see you all then! if you need me, want to talk about anything, you can send me a PM! i always check my inbox daily.

When X's attack

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 12:50 AM
04SummitCavi wrote:while ur at it if u can do a whole different style of roof like a gto or g6 sumthin difficult since ur gunna have to cut and weld n e ways

ohhh, i'll be doing something different, i'll be converting it into a convertible hard top [i just gota order the sheet metal from GM for the convertible windshield frame]

i'll also be getting the RHD treatment once i can find one to import in

When X's attack

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 1:13 AM
you are on some serious crack

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 1:23 AM
themarin8r wrote:you are on some serious crack

why?!

the car is salvagable! it has a clear title, so why not take it under the knife and customize it?

just cuz it has a 40% "smashed" roof, makes me smoke crack? what about all these other people that put 10's of thousands of dollars into thier body kits and front/rear end conversions? but yet, when i type that i'm going to make a hardtop convertible, i'm on crack? dude! STFU and dont type no more!

When X's attack

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 1:31 AM
i post that because we hear this kind of stuff ALL THE TIME!
"oh im gonna do this this this this and this! itll be totally one-of!"
then what happens? not a single thing gets done
When you get your rhd firewall, your ITR front end, and your convertible hard top in hand THEN you can say you are gonna do it, because at least then youll have the pieces
ive read so many threads where people said they are going to do a lot of things, things less drastic than you are suggesting, and maybe 5% of those threads ever come true, if that.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 1:36 AM
themarin8r wrote:i post that because we hear this kind of stuff ALL THE TIME!
"oh im gonna do this this this this and this! itll be totally one-of!"
then what happens? not a single thing gets done
When you get your rhd firewall, your ITR front end, and your convertible hard top in hand THEN you can say you are gonna do it, because at least then youll have the pieces
ive read so many threads where people said they are going to do a lot of things, things less drastic than you are suggesting, and maybe 5% of those threads ever come true, if that.

ok, and your point in this case is? lol

the convertible window frame sheet metal is on order from GM, i'm just waiting for it to come it, once it does, then it'll get welded in place, and then the body work gets started!

by the way, the car is already striped down and topless!

When X's attack

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:32 AM
Well he has the right idea, unless you have the mula. I say just cut the roof off!!! And make it a convertible with no roof. Well I guess the car is already topless from your last post, why dont you take pics of it, it might look like theres more potential.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:55 AM
post pictures as you go and keep us updated good luck sounds like it will be nice once its done

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search