My car is now burnt to a crisp - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My car is now burnt to a crisp
Sunday, March 30, 2008 6:09 PM
So here is the story,

I woke up this morning, and emailed karo about some parts, and then i walked outside to my windows being completely fogged in. I couldn't see in my car. So my thought, someone vandalized my car.. again..

So i grab my keys from inside and take a peek.

THE WHOLE BACK HALF OF THE SEAT, REAR DECK, SPEAKERS, AMPLIFIER, SUBS, WIRES, WINDOW, CHARRED.

The fire marshall came out, and so did the cops, and determined the cause was a short in my stereo wire under my back seat from the seat always going up and down, wore down the coating of the wire, and eventually caught it on fire.

All my fuses were tripped, and my main fuse got so hot that it RESOLDERED itself and continued to keep sending current to the short.

So my guess is my car is totaled.

Take a look at some of the pictures that my gf took while the fire marshall was there.

http://picasaweb.google.com/wketchin/Burnt

Unfortunatly, i am taking the money and buying a WRX. but this is probably the saddest day i have experienced in a while.

So much time, so much money, so much effort....... burnt.

.. and the system was professionally installed.

.. sigh ..

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(

Re: My car is now burnt to a crisp
Sunday, March 30, 2008 6:21 PM
how long ago was it installed i would be pissed. that bastard would be paying for the damages. it could have been worse. its easily fixable with some new interior. but other than that. it still sucks.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 6:34 PM
Professionally installed ? from the looks of those Wires I would be suing.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Sunday, March 30, 2008 6:37 PM
omg it got so hot your dash cracked!!1
Sunday, March 30, 2008 6:37 PM
The install was about 4 years ago, the previous owner had it installed. I don't know the validity of the statement he gave me though, since he told me the sunroof didn't leak, and the trunk didn't leak, and both did.

But the photos don't even cover the extent of the damage. ALL the plastic in the rear deck is melted and collapsed. some of the metal is physically contorted from the heat of the flame as well.

I am just lucky i closed all the windows, since the fire was over the gas tank. and having no air choked the fire out.

I'm back from the dead.
Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:14 PM
Seriously sucks to hear.

If it is totaled I would buy it back and redo the entire interior.

Shouldn't cost that much.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:29 PM
sorry to to hear man, hope it works out for you.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:36 PM
This happened to me last year about this time.

Same thing, Cept my wires werent run under the seat, rather behind all the plastic panels. I dont know waht the hell happened. But I had to look at my car 3 times before I was convinced it was mine. My windows were charred and everything inside pretty much as well. The back seat, toasted.

I Found a nice solution (which I never 100% finished)

Before::

After::

It really sucks to see it happen to someone else. I reinstalled my system (what was left) WAAY more anal than I did the first time, I have 3 fuses on it, and its tucked and tied up in such a way that it took me nearly all day to do the install.

Condolences
Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:37 PM
wow. what did your insurance cover?

I'm back from the dead.
Monday, March 31, 2008 4:16 PM
Liability.
Monday, March 31, 2008 7:33 PM
Ouch, i actually just got a $3800 settlement from my insurance, and im buying my car back for $200.

So im putting $5000 on an RSX Type-S.

Im so excited

I decided against the WRX when i saw what my insurance quote would be.

I'm back from the dead.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:02 PM
honda no no no no. ok your right it doesn't say honda but it does under the hood. hope fully you'll be using that as a dd and making the cav a show car.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:04 PM
Haha, totally loving how the RSX redlines at 7900. Also, the engine sounds beautiful.
There is a guy on the clubrsx forums with an 02 rsx that is currently lasting him 225K miles. I feel as if the K series engine would be gooood.

I'm back from the dead.
Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:32 PM
Wow, could have been much worse! Imagine that happening when you were in the car? Or if the car blew up, burning your house down aswell! I think you got really lucky!
Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:37 AM
Aside from the cleanup, it doesn't look totalled...

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red
Thursday, April 03, 2008 11:21 AM
The car STINKS. Also, all the rear deck would need to be re-welded. It is caving in from the heat. I think that was the largest expense.

I'm back from the dead.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search