Can pot-holes deploy airbags..haha guess so - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can pot-holes deploy airbags..haha guess so
Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:09 AM
Well I was coming home from work, thought i'd take the side streets for the highway was over loaded with traffic..lol now I'm wishing I would of just stayed on the damn highway.
I was driving up this street about 5mins from my house, I see the car in front of me hopping out of control..but before i could react I was doomed. The city had repaired these 2 huge holes..but the section they paved has sunk into the ground about 3inchs, creating a jump effect shaped like a "W". When i hit the first part, it ended up springing my front end up causing it to noise dive into the second incline. When it hit, the subframe and oil pan all ate the pavement..setting off the airbags on both sides.
So not only is my dash area screwed but my motor now mades noise above 3k rpms..think the tensioner for the chain took a nice blow. Also the subframe was hit bad and is now bent. I called the insurance, there gonna try and file a case against the city..yet the city here has all these laws protecting them in these kinds of cases.
Friday I took the car to the bodyshop, and lets just say the hint i was getting is that it might be a total loss. So all-in-all I'm pretty upset to say i just got her all repainted and shaved..ne-waz I'll give you all an update when i hear something.

Re: Can pot-holes deploy airbags..haha guess so
Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:13 AM

Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:05 PM
Hopefully everything works out for you. Any injuries from the airbag?

Jabbles
Monday, October 02, 2006 2:34 PM
it shouldnt have deployed the air bags

but ive seen and heard of a front tire exploding and causing the air bags to pop

get pics of the pot hole and send it and the bill to fix the car to the city

Monday, October 02, 2006 3:04 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]it shouldnt have deployed the air bags

but ive seen and heard of a front tire exploding and causing the air bags to pop

get pics of the pot hole and send it and the bill to fix the car to the city
Well I think they blew cause it subframe hit hard...hehe i mean check the lower engine mount..the hook is all bent to @!#$..if you look chose you can even see some of teh gravel on the oil pan still.
I've made my clame with the city..just out here it's the insurance that takes care of it all. They file a suit for the whole cost..if that gets rejected then the insurance tries for the deductable..it kinda sux, but it's government..what can we do but nothing.
Monday, October 02, 2006 5:00 PM
i heard there was a recall for something like this, i rember my cavy had this recall done for potential danger of airbags being set off by something hitting the underneath hard enough.. ill try to find the paper i have it here somewhere...

oh and sorry to hear man ur car looks nice as hell, same kinda Z im looking for.

----------
@!#$ y'all...
Thursday, October 05, 2006 8:15 AM
i hate driving in cities and i hate it when people dont take responsibility for things that they damage, seems to happen more so in the car world than anything else

Monday, October 09, 2006 9:48 PM
Usually the city is liable for maintance of public road ways, I know in my city they are, I was making right turn on my street all of a sudden wham my front passeneger tire blew off the rim my lower control arm was bent, I took pics of the foot 1/2 pot hole in the road, Also where they just paved months pryer, I phoned the city the next morning about what happen to my car, I was going to take legal action if their wasnt going to be any repairs done to my car, I told them I have pics of the damage, And road with pot holes, Right away engineer had my car in the shop, And a rental car for me until my car was ready. And the road got fixed right away as well.

Good Luck
Monday, October 09, 2006 9:56 PM
That's @!#$ty man. Hope you get things worked out. The pic of the lower mount looks exactly like mine did after I bottomed out a few years ago.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 3:50 PM
Well, the car is a complete write off...can you believe this!!
The car is at Gm for the inspection(it's where the insurance told me to go, if i didn't i'm liable if anything else happened on the repaired sectioins, this way it's warrantied..ne-waz).
I dropped by at Gm and they told me the news, the insurance hasn't called me yet, which i'm starting to get upset about. I've been trying to call them since thursday., all i get is the agents machine.
ne-waz i'll know more once the insurance agent gets back to me.
Whats this recall though on airbags that was mentioned??
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 4:04 PM
i only mention this recall cuz u are from canada...

----------
@!#$ y'all...

Friday, October 27, 2006 10:17 AM
just fix it yourself. Buy it back from insurance for cheap, buy some used airbags from ebay or a junkyard, replace the windshield and you will have your car back as good as it was before for maybe $300. The reason they total it is because the airbags deployed, they arent hard to replace though. If you decide to do this I can give you some pointers.

02 LS Sport http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135396
68 Firebird http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135556
56 GMC http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135587
66 Suburban http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135589
Friday, October 27, 2006 2:55 PM
Dennis wrote:just fix it yourself. Buy it back from insurance for cheap, buy some used airbags from ebay or a junkyard, replace the windshield and you will have your car back as good as it was before for maybe $300. The reason they total it is because the airbags deployed, they arent hard to replace though. If you decide to do this I can give you some pointers.

I'm a certifeid tech, replacing these things are easy. It's not only the air bags though, before the pot-hole problem..there was no oil/coolant leaking from the back. You can see in the pic that the coolant pipe got nailed, from the force it cracked the water pump housing. So that's where the oil/coolant is coming from. With the car having 200,000km, i can't just change the pump/housing...i'd have to do the whole chain/sprockets..etc. It's not something i find hard at all...just the money starts to add up..plus small things like my radio for one is around 500 ...the clips that hold the face plate got ripped off.
Either way, the insurance got back to me..they said book value of the car is 3165cnd, not including mods they'll give 3688cnd for condition of the car..total damage was estimated to 4485. I refused the quote and sent them my bills for the parts/paint work done in like the last 2-3 months..they have no choose to consider the reciepts i sent being the time frame(i looked it up to make sure). So for the difference in cost, I'm certain the insurance will just fix the car..just the coilovers and bodywork alone was about 6k in reciepts
Monday, November 13, 2006 11:54 PM
just so u know the coolant pipe isnt bent its suppose to be like that...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search